PDA

View Full Version : Wow. Wrasse reappearing after 6 months

zukharla
02/08/2012, 05:58 PM
A Wrasse I put in the reef tank 6 months ago and never saw again was out this morning. I was so surprised. We were sure it was dead as the protein skimmer went a bit crazy a few days after we put him in so we assumed that was his poor little dead body. But, low and behold, he was out very briefly this morning. Unfortunately my other wrasse that I purchased a while after this one, was fighting with him so he buried himself in the sand. Guess I know now why he doesnt come out :( Going to have to remove the other wrasse and put it in a different tank.

It's so amazing how they can be out of sight for such a long period of time though. He's obviously been finding food. Do you have any similar stories?

dlp211
02/08/2012, 06:05 PM
I never see my dracula goby and I never see him eat. But any time I move 'his' rock, he darts out, swims around the tank, and then hides right back under his rock.

I have even tried finding him at night, but he refuses to come out. I have no idea how or what he eats.

Thatgrimguy
02/08/2012, 06:09 PM
I am still curious if my engineer goby is alive.. I saw him a lot for the first 3weeks or so then not at all for 4 months and haven't seen him since that day.. (about 2 months ago)

Sent using tapatalk! Grammar and spelling should be forgiven!

syrinx
02/08/2012, 06:10 PM
I had a freshwater fish I saw every christmas morning when my kids were little. It was the only time I was up when it was out I guess. I think I had it eight years before I gave it to a friend- so I saw it like 10 times!

jason2459
02/08/2012, 07:19 PM
What kind of wrasse?

Curious George
02/08/2012, 07:30 PM
^Yes, inquiring minds wish to know.

?

zukharla
02/08/2012, 08:25 PM
Honestly, I have no idea. We caught it while snorkelling. Also caught the other wrasse we have in there now which was identified on here as a Cloud Wrasse. I never had the other one identified as I had never seen it again! It's very beautiful. I will take photos when it decides to stay out. Very similar to a Lunar Wrasse but is light green all over with the same pink face markings as a Lunar.

Dr Colliebreath
02/08/2012, 08:25 PM
I had a freshwater fish I saw every christmas morning when my kids were little. It was the only time I was up when it was out I guess. I think I had it eight years before I gave it to a friend- so I saw it like 10 times!
You must have had a Christmas wrasse from Christmas Island. :lolspin:

Casey8
02/08/2012, 08:36 PM
I had a fire goby that I didn't see for over 3 months. I thought it must had jumped out or died in the tank. I couldn't find his/her body at that time. Until one day, all of a sudden it came out chasing the food with the other fishes. I thought I was dreaming when I see it.

91Atrac
02/08/2012, 08:47 PM
Had my engineer goby disappear for awhile once. The rock he stayed under had been closed from my pink spotted goby and a month later I found he had an opening and was digging his way out again. He must have been stressed tho cuz he acquired probably not a fungus but something similar an was super super pail in color.

After a month of feeding garlic and selcon soaked foods he healed up and looked happy as a clam :)

Sent from Q's iPhone using Tapatalk

Reef264
02/08/2012, 09:10 PM
I read a story a while back where a guy had a wrasse in his 150, and he hadn't seen it in over 2 years, he goes to tear his tank down for an upgrade, wrasse shows up outta no where.

Have a Buddy who has an Engineer Goby that stays deep in his Rockwork, and he rarely sees it, last time he saw it he said it had grown over 4"!

dzfish17
02/08/2012, 10:36 PM
I had the same thing happen. I bought a serosa dottyback in april of last yr. I assumed that it was dead but it popped out the other day at feeding time. I didnt even remember adding it to the tank... took a minute to figure out what it was.