PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen their smasher use their spear?

FLMantis
02/08/2012, 11:16 PM
Just watched both video for the first time today... Fastest claw and Ninja shrimp... And I agreed in another post Fastest Claw was incredible . Not really sure why i have never watched it before.

Back to my question, in slow motion you can see the spear of the peacock extend right after a hit. I have never seen either of my peacocks spear extended or in use. Maybe it extends after every hit, but to fast for my eyes?

Other then Dr. Roy of course . Has anyone seen that in their home aquarium?

Also Dr.Roy how often would they use that spear part? And is that how they kill fish? I have fish missing, so that could be the answer.

gozermantis
02/09/2012, 12:54 AM
i saw one of my older peacocks open it once to clean in-between it but that was it..

Kharn
02/09/2012, 04:38 AM
I have seen the opposite and quite often too!

My largest spearer leviathan the male L.mac when I feed him on a stick if he doesn't like what he sees/tastes he will not strike but do 'defensive swings' basically leaving the claw closed and used it as a smashing appendage.

I'll try and get a pic of it when I can

gozermantis
02/09/2012, 10:23 AM
My old maculata did that also.

Gonodactylus
02/09/2012, 10:29 AM
The strike mode is context dependent. Smashers feed typically by striking with a closed dactyl, but when fighting they may stab the opponent, particularly if they have a shot at a relatively non-armored part of the other stomatopod's body. Smashers also frequently stab when in defensive mode against fish or octopus (or your finger) - particularly if they are being held.

Spearers typically catch prey with an open dactyl, but almost all defensive strikes are with the dactyl closed. They will also strike with a closed dactyl when trying to break prey such as clams or when digging and encounter a hard obstacle.

See my 1976 Scientific American article, "Stomatopods".

ROy

gozermantis
02/09/2012, 10:34 AM
I gotta check that out thanks Roy!

FLMantis
02/09/2012, 02:40 PM
Thank you for the answer Dr. Roy and everyone else.

TundraGuy
02/10/2012, 07:15 AM
Dr. Roy your the man!

Dana42078
02/12/2012, 11:45 PM
Cant say i ever seen my G.T do that. Quite interesting tho!

FLMantis
02/13/2012, 11:50 PM
Just dawned on me that's probably how they pull their dactyl out of the molt too... Always wonder how the dactyl molt stay in one completed piece...