PDA

View Full Version : android phone, laptop, and dyndns updater

96p993
02/08/2012, 11:20 PM
When I leave my house or work and get out of wifi range the only way I can monitor my tank is if I have turned my laptop on and allowed my updater to update my IP before leaving...If this does not happen I get the HTTP connection error. I can put my phone on 3g, walk into my house, turn laptop on and 2 minutes later all is good. Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can fix this?

Thanks

aquamanic
02/09/2012, 09:24 AM
Running the updater on a portable computer is going to be problematic as you've discovered. Many routers have a capability to update a DNS hostname service, some even using the DynDNS service. Have you investigated that?

RussM
02/09/2012, 10:24 AM
Alan is right on the money. Using the DDNS feature in your router (if available) is almost always the best method of keeping your dynamic DNS hostname updated with the proper public IP address.

The next best option is to run the updater software on a desktop PC (or notebook that stays at home)

The least preferred option is the scenario you have... updater software running on a portable computer which is taken from place to place.... the updater software will update your DDNS account with the public IP address of wherever you are at... work, school, Starbucks, your in-laws house, etc.

If you don't have one of the first two options available, you can set the updater client to NOT automatically run when Windows starts; you will then need to manually run the the updater each time you fire up the notebook while at home.