PDA

View Full Version : Chicagoland/Columbus OH members big Fish/Tank sale Feb 10-20th if you are looking

00Warpig00
02/09/2012, 12:07 AM
Mod's if this is a no no please edit/remove/move as you see fit and accept my apology in advance. I posted here due to the high traffic of "New to The Hobby" members being likely to be in need of a tank. Just trying to get a "be on the lookout" to those in need. I have missed a tank sale by a few days before and it really sucked trying to wait more than 6 months months for another. I will not name the LFS but the info below should be enough for those local to figure it out. If it IS ok to mention the LFS by name just say it's cool and I will add the name to the thread.

Not shilling for a LFS but want to be sure anyone looking for new tanks doesn't miss a chance to pick up what they need at reasonable prices. I have nothing to gain other than helping someone find an expensive tank at a decent discount.

There is a big LFS in the Chicagoland area with two locations (Bolingbrook/Hoffman Estates) who is having a Fish/Tank sale from Feb 10th-20th. They also have a Columbus, OH location.

If you are willing to buy fish from them they are 50% off. It's my belief they have extra markup on the fish to make them a little less than normally overpriced after the discount. My opinion! I usually buy my fish elsewhere but have also purchased from them without issue so ymmv.

The reason for this post has more to do with those looking for new tanks. They will have non-drilled tanks on sale 10-75 Gallon @ $1.50/gallon and 90-210 Gallon @ $2.50/gallon while supplies last. As I mentioned above I have looked for a new tank before and missed a sale by a couple of days and tried to wait more than 6 months for the next. I wasn't happy! So I'm passing this along.

Nick

Ron Reefman
02/09/2012, 04:42 AM
PetCo regularly does $1/gal tank sales on smaller tanks (up to 40g I think). So even the above prices don't look that good to me. Just my opinion.

00Warpig00
02/09/2012, 08:05 PM
Petco had a sale last month on tanks in the small range for $1/gallon. Either I have been a bad sale hunter in the past or tank prices in the Chicaogland area are crazy. I opt for the prices around here are crazy. More so on the larger tanks. On the small side a 55G tank only around here usually runs around $125 On the larger tanks a 180G non reef tank around here in most LFS's runs around $650. The sale I missed by a couple days when I was looking for my 180 reef ready with cheap pine stand was ~$950 during that sale. Normally you cant touch a RR180G with a cheap pine stand around here for less than $1300 or so.

Nick

jasimek
02/09/2012, 09:13 PM
Fish club members get 65 percent off fish, corals, inverts and plants. $1.50 per gallon 10-75 gallons. $2.50 per gallon 90-210 gallons got the email today.

00Warpig00
02/10/2012, 08:11 PM
I saw the 65% off on my mailer too for Fish Club members but on my mailer it states thats for the 18th-20th which is at the tail end... You know... When nothing will be left. I don't know how they do it. I am almost POSITIVE they jack up their retail prices for these sales and then sell fish at these huge discounts. In the end the prices are more like 10%-15% off the prices anyone who goes in the store regularly sees, which I can do better with using my lifetime "Fish Club" membership usually. I don't know how they do it though. EVERY time they have a sale like this you can walk in the last day of the sale and nearly ALL of their stock is gone and their tanks are nearly empty. Usually I cant but anything during the sales even if I wanted to. I almost always have a fish in QT when they have sales and my timing is off. I am actually considering using this sale to start a second QT tank lol.

Nick