PDA

View Full Version : Riterri guys, question

psusocr
02/09/2012, 08:14 AM
So after a year and a few months my mag decided to take a walk( nothing changed in my tank from water fow to chemistry lighting etc)..he was headed for alot of expensive sps so i rearranged my rocwork as well, he ended up on his own rock in the corner of the tank however he then hit the walls and walked straight to the top of the tank where he has been for 2 weeks now.. he is aways fully inflated and very happy, eats well expands the same etc..

Question: how am i gong to do a water change? wil he flop off the wall? im assuming you dont want to expose these to air for too long? how long is too long? dont want to try to detach him and rip his foot.

Any suggestions?

Reefvette
02/09/2012, 09:28 AM
they and completely exposed to air and flacid like that. dont worry be quick and if it start to release its foot its own wieght is too much.

garygb
02/09/2012, 10:20 AM
In nature, sometimes mags are found in the intertidal zone where they are exposed to air for longer than would be the case with a water change.

Something changed for the anemone I expect, even if you aren't aware of what it is. My experience has been when any detectable nitrates are present I've observed mine begin to shift around on their live rock. On the other hand, when nitrates are undetectable, they don't move at all and are very securely attached to their rock.

psusocr
02/09/2012, 10:29 AM
In nature, sometimes mags are found in the intertidal zone where they are exposed to air for longer than would be the case with a water change.

Something changed for the anemone I expect, even if you aren't aware of what it is. My experience has been when any detectable nitrates are present I've observed mine begin to shift around on their live rock. On the other hand, when nitrates are undetectable, they don't move at all and are very securely attached to their rock.

Thanks guys,

Gary, literally nothing changed, I test my water daily for alk, cal, and mag and every other day for trates( im a litte overboard), i test my water changing water (50 gallons) twice to match parameters before i do a water change( every two weeks), i havent changed lighting , position of it etc, nor have i changed the flow. After the move i then decided to change all of my rockwork etc.. BTW my trates always measure around 5-15 and my nem has always been happy, i know peple say nitrates and riterri's dont mix but im lucky i suppose..especially cause it hasnt moved in over a year

My guess is this. in the last month or so my clowns are voraciously cleaning the rock that the nem was mounted on, in the last two weeks i noticed they were digging at the foot almost pushing it over to clean and get it out of the way, the more they nudged it and bit it the more the nem started to move in that direction, they did this until it was completely off of that rock, then they kept doing it until it finally moved into the corner.

MarinaP
02/09/2012, 12:24 PM
Could be VHOs getting old...Mags are sensitive to light spectrum change. I realize VHOs are actinics only, but it will not hurt changing the bulbs.

Conrad25
02/09/2012, 12:36 PM
I suspect bulbs are old OR maybe your powerheads are getting crudded up/return pump and flow is restricted itself somewhat.

psusocr
02/09/2012, 02:11 PM
I changed my vhos 3 months ago( they get changed every (9 mnths)..i clean my powerheads every two months,,if you look at the ones im selling they look brand new, im kind of crazy about keeping them clean. also my flow is strong enough that even if i stopped one powerhead completely it would still move very well...

i know there must be a reason, thats why mags move, i just cant come up with one..

Im just worried about it falling when i do the water change, its a pretty large mag. Regardless its seems very happy where its at, i just wish it would crawl back down

Thanks for all the help ,

Tethered_Limbs
02/09/2012, 02:23 PM
good luck with w.c. maybe put sumthin below it full of water so if it falls it wun tear on a rock

psusocr
02/09/2012, 02:37 PM
my water doesnt drop that much, it would fall into plenty of water since my tank is 31" deep, but it would be exposed for some time snce its at the very very top of my tank..

m'akoyPINOY
02/09/2012, 03:18 PM
everytime i do WC my mag is exposed to air and just hanging on top of my tank.it sits all the way to the top glass.and i have em' for 2 1/2 yrs now.it should be fine.

Tethered_Limbs
02/09/2012, 03:30 PM
like the other guys said, just dont diddly dally n itll be ok in the air for a lil

elegance coral
02/09/2012, 05:05 PM
How big is your sump? Can't you pull water from the sump for the water change without changing the water level in the display?

psusocr
02/09/2012, 05:42 PM
I thought about it but with a 60 gallon change I'm still going to have to pull from the main tank as well, but I can give it a try

Rotknee
02/21/2012, 11:05 PM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> How did the new do during the water change?

After reading the thread I would venture to guess the clowns nudging at the base caused the nem to move.

Any pics of the nem in its current location?

Winwood
02/22/2012, 03:13 AM
I have kept several mags and when I saw your original pictures my first thought was it's only a matter of time before it goes searching for higher ground. I think there is a strong probability nothing changed except it just got healthy enough to search for a better spot. If it were me, I would build it some sort of pedestal where you can pretty much guarantee it's permanent location and aquascape around it.

Just for the record though I do think Gary is onto something. In my past experiences, when I had detectable nitrates in the water my mags would move all over their pedestals, but never would crawl down to any great extent. When nitrates were reduced they were pretty much stationary.

psusocr
02/22/2012, 08:14 AM
Im changing thwe water this weekend so only time will tell. My tank always had noticable nitrates and it never ever moved only after a year+ did it now move and the nitrates were always the same level never any higher or lower.. i dont disagree it very well could have been the trates, but it crawled ot the top f the glass and spreads out huge and is very fat , healthy and happy whichb is why im afraid to try and remove it from its spot.

phender
02/22/2012, 03:40 PM
IME, the only time my mag would move is when the clowns were cleaning for egg laying. It usually didn't move very far and usually moved right back, but sometimes I had to give it a little help. Sounds like to move was initiated by the clowns, but the anemone decided his new spot was better than the old one.

phender
02/22/2012, 03:40 PM
double post

m'akoyPINOY
02/22/2012, 05:44 PM
mines is by the top back glass close my MH.

psusocr
02/23/2012, 07:45 AM
IME, the only time my mag would move is when the clowns were cleaning for egg laying. It usually didn't move very far and usually moved right back, but sometimes I had to give it a little help. Sounds like to move was initiated by the clowns, but the anemone decided his new spot was better than the old one.

Well once the clowns started really digging at the base very hard, basically pushing it, it didnt stop until they cleared it right off of its rock, then i had to reaquascape, and well now its just seems pretty happy where its at, although its REALLY getting blasted with light and flow..