PDA

View Full Version : SW Tank Noob - Help Needed.

dd0tc
02/09/2012, 08:25 AM
Good Morning Everyone. Hope all is well. I like many others have been a FW enthusiast much of my life. I ran three tanks, 1 55 gall w/ 3 Oscars and a Red Devil, 1 90 gall Cichlid tank, 1 20 Gallon Discus tank. After those fish died, I took a 4 year break from the hobby, but I truly miss having fish in my home. So I have decided to go with a more aesthetically pleasing approach and add a beautiful SW tank to my home.

I recently purchased a JBJ 28g NANO CUBE, off of CL that came included with tons of stuff. Maxi Jets, chemicals, bulbs, sand, live rock, coral, salt, etc.

Now, I am pretty sure that just because this says its an All-In-One tank, that does not mean it is fully ready to go straight out the gate. I need some real hand holding as I go thru the initial cycle phase all the way up until to the point where I am ready to buy my first fish. Not to mention, I need it in laymen terms. As lay as possible....lol.

1. What additions do you all recommend that I buy before beginning?

2. What is the best way to get everything going?

3. What livestock would you suggest adding to the tank? Mind you, I would like to keep 5-6 fish in this tank. (Smaller species of course)

4. Tips, tricks, and any other advise is welcome.

So basically, what I need to know, if you were me (with the knowledge you possess), what would you do and how would you go about doing it?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to becomnig an active member on these boards. Take care!

P.S. Hopefully I am not :deadhorse: but I have been searching high and low for people in the same position as I and couldn't find exactly the info I was looking for, so I decided to start my own topic.

:beer:

sprinklerman500
02/09/2012, 08:31 AM
First wash your rock well with ro,fill the tank with pre mixed ro,then rinse your sand with ro and add it.If you want corals you might want to go ahead and up grade the lights.Let the tank cycle till all parameters are good then start with a small cheap fish first.Dont add more than 1 fish at a time.And lots more,happy reefing.

agruetz
02/09/2012, 05:13 PM
First wash your rock well with ro,fill the tank with pre mixed ro,then rinse your sand with ro and add it.If you want corals you might want to go ahead and up grade the lights.Let the tank cycle till all parameters are good then start with a small cheap fish first.Dont add more than 1 fish at a time.And lots more,happy reefing.

+1 for the add the live stock slow, I made that mistake lost a clown fish over it.

Playa-1
02/09/2012, 10:28 PM
Welcome to Reef Central :)

If you haven't already done so then I would highly recommend that you pick up a copy of a book by Fenner called "The conscientious marine aquarist" and read it :). It will likely save you a ton of money and headaches.

nlgill13
02/09/2012, 10:32 PM
Welcome to Reef Central :)

If you haven't already done so then I would highly recommend that you pick up a copy of a book by Fenner called "The conscientious marine aquarist" and read it :). It will likely save you a ton of money and headaches.

+1 to "The conscientious marine aquarist", great book

jinks
02/10/2012, 01:11 AM
Never underestimate what a water change can do. You have a small tank so this is an even bigger point to drive home.

indigorn
02/10/2012, 01:26 AM
Patience is also vital in this hobby.