PDA

View Full Version : Tank Stand Sway

suryjuto
02/09/2012, 12:03 PM
Hey folks. New to the forums but have been lurking here off and on for about gosh, 10 years :)

Anyhow, I purchased a used tank about a year-and-a-half ago when I was living in Ohio and I got, what I think, is a steal (90 gallon, what appears to be an AGA corner flow tank, Aqueon Classic Mission style stand and canopy, W/D, skimmer, MagDrive 7 pump) for $400. Fast forward to 2012, I've now relocated back to Philadelphia and brought the tank with me. We knew we were going to move so all I did was fill it up (in Ohio) and empty it to try and clean the sand and stuff out before we moved. I was fortunate enough to find it didn't leak (PHEW!).

The only thing concerning me now is that the stand has a bit of side-to-side sway if you move it back and forth. Obviously this isn't normal behavior this tank with go thru and it's in a location that this shouldn't be happening in, but is it something I need to be overly concerned about? Should I construct bracing inside of the tank to stabilize it a bit?

Oppee
02/09/2012, 12:14 PM
I sure would add some diagonal bracing that will keep it from swaying, probably would not take much maybe couple 1x1s with 45 angles glued and screwed.

seapug
02/09/2012, 12:33 PM
Yes, that is something to be extremely concerned about. If the stand is that fatigued, I'd suggest buying or building a new one. A filled 90 gallon tank with rocks and sand can easily weigh over 1000 lbs. A good stand is a must.

tangs_tank
02/09/2012, 12:34 PM
Now if your budget allows I would recommend getting a new stand. The weight of your system will be in the range of 1,200lbs. Any movement in the stand can be a major disaster. I wouldn't take the risk, imo. Hope that helps.

sporto0
02/09/2012, 12:36 PM
Have you tried just tightening the nuts & bolts, they tend to loosen up over the years? Otherwise, like suggested above, diagonal bracing will help sure it up.

Zypharus
02/09/2012, 12:38 PM
+1 to new construction or major overhaul. Your tank is like a freight train. Once it starts moving, its difficult to stop.

suryjuto
02/09/2012, 12:46 PM
So apparently my mind is playing tricks on me and I played around with it just now.

The sway isn't side to side, it's front to back. But I don't know if it's because of the carpet it's on or not. Any other thoughts on what I can look at to see what's causing this movement.

suryjuto
02/09/2012, 12:51 PM
And there is nary a bolt to be found in that entire stand. God only knows what's holding it together :)

Leafer
02/09/2012, 01:02 PM
perhaps a shim would do? If you can see that joints are flexing you better get the studied up and a shim would be insufficient. I can hardly imagine what would happen if someone leaned on the tank and it kept on going.

sponger0
02/09/2012, 02:06 PM
After reading all this, Id just build a new stand but thats just my opinion

tangs_tank
02/09/2012, 02:16 PM
If it's an uneven floor thats not a sway, it's wobbly, where shims may fix. You'll know if it's an unsafe stand if the top part of stand is swaying or joints are loose. Uneven floor usually make the base section rock. You should have no play at any of the joints.

suryjuto
02/09/2012, 02:32 PM
The more I look at this stand, the more I realize there is NOTHING to it.

So I was looking to do the diagonal bracing in the top corners and there's nothing to attach it on to up top. The front panels are so thin there is nothing to it. anything I attach to it is going to protrude thru the top. I think the bracing has been primarily handled thru the plywood at the bottom which appears to have suffered some water damage from the use.

Right now the only thing I could think of that could possibly brace is it a piece of wood screwed into the base from the left-front to left back and right-front to right-back.

So that will be option one. Option two will definitely be to build my own stand. They don't look all that difficult :)

sponger0
02/09/2012, 02:45 PM
The more I look at this stand, the more I realize there is NOTHING to it.

So I was looking to do the diagonal bracing in the top corners and there's nothing to attach it on to up top. The front panels are so thin there is nothing to it. anything I attach to it is going to protrude thru the top. I think the bracing has been primarily handled thru the plywood at the bottom which appears to have suffered some water damage from the use.

Right now the only thing I could think of that could possibly brace is it a piece of wood screwed into the base from the left-front to left back and right-front to right-back.

So that will be option one. Option two will definitely be to build my own stand. They don't look all that difficult :)

They are pretty simple to make. Just do some research on how to make them strong enough to hold the weight and with the right tools can be done in a weekend

rogermccray
02/09/2012, 02:51 PM
They are pretty simple to make. Just do some research on how to make them strong enough to hold the weight and with the right tools can be done in a weekend

And making them as level as possible.