PDA

View Full Version : Dipping Corals

bwitchn
02/09/2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks for your help and support on the following questions. Really appreciate it.

I am getting my first Coral tomorrow and I plan to dip it in Coral Rx. Need advice on the procedure for dipping it and placement in the DT.

When I first open the bag, do I remove the Coral and transfer it to the dipping container with the solution?

Should the Coral be exposed to air in transferring from bag to dipping container?

If not, then what is the best and proper procedure for transferring the Coral from the bag to the dipping solution?

Same question applies for transferring the Coral from the dipping solution to the Fresh Saltwater rinse prior to placing in the DT?

What is then the proper procedure for transferring from the Saltwater rinse container to the DT?

Do I need to acclimate the Coral first from the bag to the dipping container? and then to the DT?

Are there any video's on proper procedures for Coral dipping?

Lastly, the base rock the Coral is placed on when I first get it, does that stay with the Coral? Or do I remove the actual Coral from the base rock it comes with and place it on the rocks in my DT?

What is the best way to handle the Corals? With my hands?

Thanks.

RtReef
02/09/2012, 03:44 PM
Usually the coral already comes attached to a rock or a plug. I would leave it on there unless you think you can remove it and attach it to a rock without harming it.

When you get the coral I usually like to leave it in the bag it came in and just float it in my tank for about 30 minutes or so, so it acclimates to the temp. I will usually add about a half cup of water from my tank into the bag the coral is in about every 5-10 minutes.

After the time passes I usually measure out the dip solution needed and add it directly into the bag that is the coral is in. DO NOT DUMP THE DIP OR ANY OF THE WATER IN THE BAG, BACK INTO YOUR TANK.

I leave mine in the dip for about 10minutes. Then I remove from dip, then give it a rinse in a small bowl of my tank water and then out and into my tank.

Also most corals will be fine out of water for several minutes at a time

bwitchn
02/09/2012, 03:47 PM
How do you remove it from the bag to the bowl and from the bowl to the DT?

bwitchn
02/09/2012, 03:48 PM
BTW I am getting a Zoa. Is it ok to dip zoa's

RtReef
02/09/2012, 03:51 PM
Zoas are fine to dip just try and make sure all of the individual polyps are closed. You can handle it with your hands or gloves. Be sure, especially with zoa and palys (they contain toxins), to wash your hands before you touch your face eyes mouth ect. It's ok to handle with bare hands just be alert of open cuts and again DO NOT touch your eyes nose mouth ect without first washing your hands after handling zoa's.

captrad
02/09/2012, 05:38 PM
only problem i see with the dipping in bag is you cant be sure of amount of water you have so dip could be off and also dumping dip in bag might hit coral with a straight shot.
you can use less then the 1 gal it says to use if you have a small measuring cup (2.5 ml to 1/2 gal or 1.3 ml to 1/4 gal if just few small plugs).
i make sure that the dip is very well mixed in dip bowl. I also set a timer for 9 mins so i know they are out by 10 mins. Other than that i do everything the same as RtReef . (i might just be ocd and overly afraid what the dip will do)

Mussin
02/09/2012, 05:40 PM
Ok im new to this but what is the point of dipping? I have bought many corals and just float the bag and add some tank water and they are always fine that way. Just currious..

Jeremy

Mark Bianco
02/09/2012, 07:09 PM
Jerey, Watch this video, it may explain. Yes its a manufactures video, but explains many things.

http://www.coralrx.com/

Mark Bianco
02/09/2012, 07:13 PM
bwitchn,

As stated above with most corals there is no problem being out of water. The only exception I know of is sponges. If a sponge is exposed to air it will most die. Other then that you are good to go exposing corals to the air for a short period of time..