PDA

View Full Version : $1000 dollar budget

rick_n_becky
02/09/2012, 04:26 PM
Okay, question for the masses. You have $1000 to set up a new reef tank. What do you buy? What do you buy new? what do you DIY? Not including livestock, just the tank and all the goodies. Of course anything left over goes for livestock.

RtReef
02/09/2012, 04:30 PM
I would buy an used tank provided you see it holding water before you buy. Also most equipment is ok to buy used and save a few bucks. I would buy a new return pump from the sump to the tank tho.

agruetz
02/09/2012, 04:38 PM
Used tank would be a good place to make a big savings, but I would definitely want to see a water test in it before I paid for it. I would do a DIY sump, I have even been looking at DIY protein skimmers. I would save the cash for stuff you cannot do yourself, return pumps (I would get these new), power heads, lighting.

rick_n_becky
02/09/2012, 04:44 PM
I have no problem with a used tank, and DIY sump. Lets assume you can get a used tank for $1/gallon. What size do you get and what parts do you pick up. Also building your own stand.

I am figuring what I would do, but I like to hear other peoples idea so I can steal them. :)

BuckeyeTodd
02/09/2012, 04:46 PM
Used 90-125 gal, reef octo skimmer, couple koralia powerheads, mag 7 return pump, six bulb tek light, and tunze osmolator(the best investment ever).

robs.mark
02/09/2012, 04:48 PM
you could probably get away with buying a complete reef set up for that with LR. Be propered to make some sacrefices as your net going to get a top of the line system for a grand. A used return pump will be fine as long as it isnt noisey. If the tank is running MH or T5/8 lighting, i would definatly replace the bulbs.

rick_n_becky
02/09/2012, 04:52 PM
you could probably get away with buying a complete reef set up for that with LR. Be propered to make some sacrefices as your net going to get a top of the line system for a grand. A used return pump will be fine as long as it isnt noisey. If the tank is running MH or T5/8 lighting, i would definatly replace the bulbs.

I was thinking of going through aquastyle.com for a diy led kit, not sure how many bulbs I would need/gallon. 90 gallon was what I was thinking.

agruetz
02/09/2012, 05:00 PM
I have no problem with a used tank, and DIY sump. Lets assume you can get a used tank for $1/gallon. What size do you get and what parts do you pick up. Also building your own stand.

I am figuring what I would do, but I like to hear other peoples idea so I can steal them. :)

Yea I am still thinking mine up. I am looking at picking up a 27 gal 20x20x18 (I have limited space). I am looking at a 10 gallon sump (current tank). Then doing a DIY protein skimmer I think it can be done for about 50 bux (not including pump). I would say plan plan plan, that is the stage I am in should make sure you do not waste any $$$.

Curious George
02/09/2012, 05:41 PM
I would buy a new tank. I don't like mysteries as far as where it's been and what it's been through. With a grand, I think I would do a 50 gallon reef with a sump , decent protein skimmer and MH lighting system.

The only place I would try to save and buy used is the live rock and lighting system. For some people, they like big tanks. I like tanks that are small and sophisticated with attention detail and quality stuff.

funkyfish77
02/09/2012, 05:52 PM
New tank for sure older tanks that have sat for awhile tend to leak. If you can find a good deal on a
Older tank you could reseal it just to make sure it won't leak. DIY as much as possible it saves money
For live rock an critter's.
Good luck an happy reefing

PistolShrmp
02/09/2012, 08:17 PM
I'd go 40 breeder with quality equipment and DIY stand/canopy.

scarolina01
02/09/2012, 08:40 PM
I've had 4 tanks and all have been used. Never had a problem with any of them. I good idea would be to try and find a local reefer, or someone who isn't too far from you selling a whole system. You might be able to get a good deal on everything you need. (tank, sump, pumps, powerheads, skimmer)

I wouldn't however skimp on the pumps or skimmer. As those pieces could go with you if you upgrade down the line.

Playa-1
02/09/2012, 10:56 PM
I would buy a book. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner (One of the best investments you will make in this hobby). Then, I would look for good deals on used equipment. The size and type of equipment would likely be determined by what I could afford, Operation cost, the livestock that I planned to keep and the space that I had available for it. I would likely build a Sump and Refugium DIY style out of a used tank. The only equipment that I would not buy used would be the appropriate RO/DI water filter and the appropriate heaters.

Alex482455
02/10/2012, 01:54 AM
New items to buy: sump pump, heater, RO/DI, tank only if it's on discount and skimmer unless u find a good used one. Used: lighting the best u can buy cuz used is like 1 3rd of the price usually, sump tank, LR & LS, power head and stand. Good luck

foxandhound
02/10/2012, 02:03 AM
I bought my 75 used....with the live rock...the fishes and all equipment. Also, a massive hair algae problem allowed me to bring down the price significantly.
I upgraded the fixture anyway. I am now replacing the sump pump to mag 5...added a skimmer, a phosban reactor, and now adding refugium and biopellet reactor.

I would buy skimmer, tank, cabinet, light fixture used. Anything else that plugs in should be new IMO.

CRC88
02/10/2012, 10:44 AM
I just put together a 55g and got most of the stuff off Craigs List used. I bought a setup with pump, heater, tank, hood, stand and a few other goodies for $150. I think this is the best way to save money since all the miscellaneous extras add up REALLY fast.

I did a DIY sump, converted a wet/dry into a fuge, and already had most of the plumbing fixtures. I bought lights and Skimmer brand new. I also had $200 in store credit, and the whole thing still cost me $1,022.

Here's a link to my build thread. If you scroll down to post #19, I've posted a spreadsheet of my build costs for initial setup - an updated version of this spreadsheet has the total at about $1,700. Goodluck with the build! It's fun, so try to enjoy it and not freakout about every cent you spend!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2069247

thor109
02/10/2012, 06:53 PM
I bought a 75 with stand 4 vho light 60 lbs live rock and sump for 400.
I've replaced some of the equipment. All I can say is if you buy used buy it because its what you want. take your time and don't buy something you don't want just because its a good deal.

wipe
02/10/2012, 07:07 PM
If you have patience snipe one off of craigslist. Foreclosures (:() relocations could be your gain. If you have the patience to find one near you and the manpower to move it you can have a nice setup for pennies on the dollar.The money saved can get you livestock

Charley Diesing
02/10/2012, 07:13 PM
Ive spent about 1k on my 40 breeder, decent equipment. All new. I suggest craigslist though. Save a lot on pumps. Do you have a RO/DI unit?

radone
02/10/2012, 07:21 PM
$1,000 budget
I would shoot for a 120 and pick up mostly used stuff here from fellow reefers, your chances of getting bit from them are probably less than the LFS

c'mon reef
02/10/2012, 07:21 PM
Imo it all depends on what size are you comfortable with, going big isn't always the best choice. I would try to stay away with buying a used tank, like others have mentioned. For me I would buy an aio ex. (jbj new rimless or something like the cadlights), or a custom small tank around 30 gallons with an overflow. With the rest of the money you'll have enough for decent lighting and lr/sand.

danderso
02/10/2012, 07:59 PM
I would go with a smaller tank like a 40 breeder. If you are patient and watch Craig's list and the garage sales there are great deals to be had. Most important to me would be dont spend the whole G at once because there are always extras to buy like that awesome coral or fish!

Indiana Reefin
02/11/2012, 12:19 AM
40 breeder with DIY stand canopy and led light. Don't skimp on anything in this hobby. You will just waste your money.
Now I dont make a ton of money, I'm only 24..I just put $100 aside a month for my new build. I just built a stand for $100 for my 40 breeder and bought a vertex IN80 brand new off of here for $120 shipped. Next item is my overflow and plumbing. Then a return pump, then lighting, then live sand and rock, then an ato, and so on.
Just buy a little at a time. At least you have enough money to get a nice tank and stand. Be patient and take your time investing in your reef. Trust me...you will appreciate it more.

Reefahholic
02/11/2012, 04:50 AM
Good luck!

My tank and lights alone will be more than 1,000

nj_evoIXgsr
02/11/2012, 08:52 AM
Now that you have your budget.....and needed to ask this question. I would suggest reading on the 10000000x different styles and 1000000x of different options in equipment and types of tanks available. I have seen a lot of used setups well under the price range and can easily resell items you don't need to fund even better equipment.

My setup is just about 1000 but my corals + fish are just about reaching another 1000! ha

jmarko
02/11/2012, 07:19 PM
With 1000

My 2 cents I would find a nice 75 or 125 used on creigslist buy something no less then 18 deep and no taller then about 25 high you need the depth to really do anything interesting with the rocks and you dont want to high or you cant light it easily and it makes working in it better and you do not want to go to small on your first tank working with at least 75 gallons makes getting the tank stable so much easier. most likely go with glass that has an overflow drilled in it and has a nice stand with it then see what gear it comes with ie skimmer ro flow lights. Try to take your time look lots before you jump. Also look in the reef clubs pages here on reef central look both in your city and any near enough you would be wiling to go there to pick up. I bought a setup that the original owner spent 10 k+ on for 2200 but had to rent a haul and drive 200 miles there to get it good luck do lots of research like your doing

edward45
02/11/2012, 07:38 PM
There are allot of people getting out of the hobby selling complete systems for pretty cheap.

Vadimshevchuk
02/11/2012, 08:51 PM
it depends on the tank size. with a 40B you can make it higher end and 120 gallon on the cheaper size.