PDA

View Full Version : RTN (I think) on Montipora spongodes

rownsurf
02/09/2012, 06:18 PM
Last weekend I bought a frag of Montipora spongodes. Looked healthy for a few days, but today I'm noticing the tissue appears to be flaking/sloughing off. I'm pretty new to stony corals, but am having no other noticable problems with the few other montis and lps species I have in there, besides a superman monti turning losing its blue coloration.

On my phone so haven't had a chance to search a ton, but any advice on what may be causing this tissue loss would be appreciated. The frag is about half way down my tank right now in moderate flow.

75 g mixed reef, 5 bulb T5 with new bulbs, salinity and ph normal, nitrates and phosphates nears 0. Calcium, magnesium, and alk a little low...an ongoing battle to get those up.

Thanks,

Justin

Acropolooza
02/09/2012, 06:57 PM
are you keeping up with weekly water changes?

rownsurf
02/09/2012, 07:24 PM
more like every other..could it just be too little of some nutrient? I jst haven't seen this before so have no experience with what causes it.

Felixc395
02/09/2012, 10:35 PM
My spongodes really lightened when there was too little food. What do you feed? How many fish? Also check for monti eating nudis!

Reef Bass
02/10/2012, 09:50 AM
All three of your major water parameters (alk, ca and mag) are off and you're wondering why your sps is unhappy? There's your starting point!