PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions about Randy's 2 Part

urbaneks
02/09/2012, 11:23 PM
I started using Randy's 2 Part Recipe 1 on February 1st and I have two questions that I can't seem to find the answers for.

1) I started by targeting my Cal at 440 and my Alk at 9.0dkh. After a couple of days of dosing at my starting dose, the Alk was low at 8.2 but my Cal was high at 450. If I raise the dose to get my Alk to 9.0, my Cal will go even higher. Everything I've read said not to alter the dosing amount between Cal and Alk. Should I just the raise dosages of both to get my Alk to 9 and let the Cal raise to where ever that dose takes it?

2) I bought a dosing pump that is capable of dosing 3 solutions. Is it best to dose the Mag once you've used the gallon of each solution or would it be better to set the Mag up to dose daily to keep my levels constant? I'm currently dosing Mag daily but it seems like most people go the other route.

Thanks in advance.

jimsplace
02/10/2012, 06:54 AM
What is your current mg level? Be patient and take your time. I would add some baking soda to get your alk level up and then see if can be maintained by your dosers. What salt are you using as this may affect your numbers. Sometimes you have to manually add a alk or cal supplement to get what you want.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/10/2012, 07:55 AM
I started using Randy's 2 Part Recipe 1 on February 1st and I have two questions that I can't seem to find the answers for.

1) I started by targeting my Cal at 440 and my Alk at 9.0dkh. After a couple of days of dosing at my starting dose, the Alk was low at 8.2 but my Cal was high at 450. If I raise the dose to get my Alk to 9.0, my Cal will go even higher. Everything I've read said not to alter the dosing amount between Cal and Alk. Should I just the raise dosages of both to get my Alk to 9 and let the Cal raise to where ever that dose takes it?

A few comments on that. First, 8.2 dKH is certainly not low. IMO it is just about perfect.

BUT, if you use both parts equally to boost alk from 8.2 to 9 dKH, calcium will only rise from about 450 to 461 ppm. Both of those are also fine. So you can just boost both parts.

IF you want calcium lower, just stop dosing it for a few days, and keep dosing the alk part, or switch to a lower calcium mix. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/10/2012, 07:57 AM
2) I bought a dosing pump that is capable of dosing 3 solutions. Is it best to dose the Mag once you've used the gallon of each solution or would it be better to set the Mag up to dose daily to keep my levels constant? I'm currently dosing Mag daily but it seems like most people go the other route.

It is certainly not better to dose the magnesium part all at once. In smaller tanks, spreading out the dose may be desirable. So using the dosing pump since you have it, at the right ratio to the alk and calcium parts, is a perfect way to go. :)

FWIW, my DIY is designed to not require magnesium measurements, just like all commercial two parts which bury it into the other two parts, so if you do not have a test kit, that's OK. :)

urbaneks
02/10/2012, 11:02 AM
Randy - Thanks for the quick replies. One follow up question on the mag. If I understand the ratio correctly, the tank will use cal/alk at a ratio of 6.4 parts to every one part of magnesium. Is that correct? If so and if I'm dosing 70ml per day of cal/alk my daily dose of mag should be 11ml correct? I ask because, if I follow this ratio, the mag climbs above my target of 1450. I've found after a few days of testing that the tank seems to be using 4-5ml per day of mag.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/10/2012, 12:21 PM
The ratio is about 6.2 when using my Recipe #1. :)

What salt mix are you using? Many have excessive magnesium to start with, and will keep driving it up during water changes.

Also, two parts raise salinity and magnesium along with it. So the magnesium will rise if you do not keep the salinity from rising. :)

urbaneks
02/10/2012, 04:13 PM
The ratio is about 6.2 when using my Recipe #1. :)

What salt mix are you using? Many have excessive magnesium to start with, and will keep driving it up during water changes.

Also, two parts raise salinity and magnesium along with it. So the magnesium will rise if you do not keep the salinity from rising. :)

Randy,
How do you keep the salinity from rising?

I'm using Tropic Marine Pro which tests out at 9.0 for alk which is the main reason I want to keep my alk at 9. It also tests 400 for cal and 1200 for mag. I've been using your calculator and two part to boost my make up water to 450 cal and 1450 mag. In theory, I should have the same water going in that I have coming out.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/10/2012, 04:18 PM
Just replace some tank water once in a while with RO/DI. The skimmer may already offset the rise in some tanks. :)

urbaneks
02/10/2012, 04:49 PM
Randy, I feel fortunate to be able to get your advice directly through the RC forums. Thanks for being available and your willingness to share your knowledge.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/10/2012, 05:12 PM
You're welcome and thanks.

Happy Reefing. :)