PDA

View Full Version : Lazy or sick mandarin?

Defuse
02/10/2012, 10:31 AM
I got an ORA mandarin last week. After introducing him to the tank I have never seen him "hunt" for food like I have seen other mandarins do. I have tried several different food preparations and he will ignore all of them.

Prior to putting him in my DT I would constantly see pods on the glass and moving around. I do not see those pods anymore so I am hoping that he is eating them instead of the prepared food but I am still worried. He essentially just sits on the bottom and will move to a different spot every couple hours or so. I know they have a slime coat but I can't tell if it is the coat that is making his colors look off or something else. Here is a picture.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d122/Samewow/Nano/9572da97.jpg

dirtyBit
02/10/2012, 11:52 AM
What's your salinity? They tend to slime up if it's low.

Defuse
02/10/2012, 12:10 PM
Salinity is 1.025

snorvich
02/10/2012, 01:41 PM
ORA mandarins have mixed results. Unfortunately, he is likely waiting for you to spot feed him.

Defuse
02/11/2012, 01:33 PM
ORA mandarins have mixed results. Unfortunately, he is likely waiting for you to spot feed him.

I tried spot feeding him again yesterday and he did take some ArticPods so that is a good sign I think. I will stick with it and hope he comes out of whatever this funk is.

snorvich
02/11/2012, 02:13 PM
I tried spot feeding him again yesterday and he did take some ArticPods so that is a good sign I think. I will stick with it and hope he comes out of whatever this funk is.

Cannot hurt to try. Nutramar Ova is also good to try. But it is not likely to change.