PDA

View Full Version : Gouaill's spring 155g penninsula project

Guillaume
02/10/2012, 01:30 PM
OK, Let's start
This is probably the tank I dreamed of but never thought it could be realised. My wife don't really realises the size of the tank and the cost but she's ok with it as long as only my money go in...:eek2:

The goal of this thread is to share the idea and get some advises, as you guess. Some major parameters are not yet decided but need to be fixed this next week (tank details). I'm running a 65g rimless penninsula (36x20x20) since 2 years which I like a lot but that is limiting in term of fish and coral growth.
So here it is:

Tank:
- 60LX27WX22H most probably starphire, from Miracles aquarium.
- Rimless or eurobrace is not decided yet, this is why: a rimless tank would require 3/4'' glass weighting 425pds while a eurobrace would be around 280pds with 1/2'' thick glass.
I like very very much the rimless design for ease of access, cleaning and just for the clean look. But I have troubles thinking I would need 4 big guy hired from a moving company to enter it in house and move it in case of off period (like long term travel which is really not planned but could happend). This choice is also impacting the weight I'm putting on the house, which I will come back later. So BIG CHOICE HERE.:worried:
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/plan155g.jpg

Sump:
Current sump 36X12X15 33g about 20g of water, three section(skimmer, return and refugium) using Melev's split drain going in the skimmer section and in the refugium, then back in the return pump center section. This way is not perfect but it works. The idea at the moment is to reuse sump system avoiding time consuming modifications (which may come later mainly because return section is limited in size).

Water movement:
- Return : Eheim Compact+ 3000 Pump (396-792GPH)
- 2 X MP40Wes (one to buy)

Controls and heating:
- Current Apex with WMX module
- 2x 200w heater, one in the tank and one in the sump, may need a bigger in the tank or a second 200w.
- RODI 20g tupperware for mixing and another 20g for Kalk dosing with ATO from the Apex using a small powerhead. It works great at the moment and since I don't plan right now to full the tank with the most SPS I can, I may keep it this way, maybe trying Randy's DIY two part solution in the future.
I currently only dose Kalk but I wandering if I may need to dose plain RODI also in this bigger tank.

Stand:
- Wood (strong Larch) 2x4 on this plan:
The top 2X4 will be doubled to avoid using 2X6 and keeping good access to the sump.

Filtration:
- Bubble Magus Hero 180-s (240g) Sicce 1000 pump (silence choice and little footprint). I have a SRO-1000 on which the BB1000 pump is a bit noisy so I was thinking to go with the SRO-3000 (300g) but I don't wnat noise.
Any experience with the Hero 180 skimmer all??
- Phosban reactor Three little fishees with GAC and ferric oxide phoshate remover.
- Cheato in the refugium on a 20h schedule under a 16w 6200k GE oriented focal compact light.
- Rocks from the current tank + some medium pieces now in the refugium. The idea is to create 3-4 islands (3 in the current tank) and allowing space for fishes and coral growth (Sunny's build is inspiring on this).

Last but not least, lighting:
- Current 150w MH 14000K Pheonix + 2x65wPC from URI. Need to be replaced a few months after the build with 2 x AI Sol Blue controlled by the Apex via the VDM module.

Not forgeting bio friends :)
- One black oscelaris and one percula
- One squamosa clam
- One yellow tang (yes I know 65g is small but he's very happy and healthy since 1 1/2 years now).
- 2 Sexy shrimps and a brittlestar.
May add:
- Convict tang
- Koran angel (really not sure about these bully guys though)
- 4 Pyjama cardinal
- Maybe many chromis and some anthias too. Shoals is the idea with te three last fishes. I like the bonsai perspective in building a reef.

In context:
This upgrade takes place in a bigger kitchen project. We are planning on putting an island in the center of the kitchen and remove the pseudo island/counter on the current aquarium side.
The new tank would go under the stairs, penninsula style!!:celeb1:
So ideally, I would need to first put the bigger tank in house, then transfer all friends in the new tank, then remove the 65g tank and the wall against the stairs, then put the island which I will build too.
In fact, the first step was to build a banquette along the diner table, which is done!:beer:
Now:
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_2.jpg
Goal:
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_41.jpg

I went this morning at a saw mill and starting the stand this afternoon. I will keep you posted as it goes. Be patient, the plan is to take a week of vacation end of April and then put the new tank and etc.

Guillaume
02/10/2012, 01:38 PM
Missing stand link: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964

Agu
02/10/2012, 09:34 PM
Will it be visible in the kitchen ?

If it's going to be uncovered/rimless I'd go Eurobraced. Not only the weight issue but also the eurobracing helps prevent jumpers.

PistolShrmp
02/11/2012, 01:12 AM
Your tank and house are gorgeous! Good luck with the new build.

Guillaume
02/11/2012, 07:34 AM

If it's going to be uncovered/rimless I'd go Eurobraced. Not only the weight issue but also the eurobracing helps prevent jumpers.

Yeah, the goal is to sit at the island in the kitchen and look at the tank... with a beer or some stuff...
So the drawing is misleading because the side of the tank won't be covered like this. The bottom of the stairs will be open.

Eurobrace/rimless question: I plan on making a canopy to ensure kids don't drop toys from the stairs directly in the tank. I can imagine really well my daughter being angry at me...
The canopy would be made of shady acrylic to let pass light but reduce drops and dust appearance.
So my choice is still not clear.

I need to show you some pics of the structure under the floor.

Guillaume
02/11/2012, 07:35 AM
Your tank and house are gorgeous! Good luck with the new build.

Tanks PistolShrmp!

Guillaume
02/11/2012, 07:38 AM

and I'm not fixed with the canopy style. I would want it not touching the tank, like with a 3-4 inches gap to see the rimless style, providing ease access, then it would be more a falling toys proof thing. Then jumping fishes are not covered...:hmm4:

Guillaume
02/13/2012, 12:55 PM
Stand is on good way.
Structure almost done, glueing last pieces of 2x4 (screwed too!). I did glue two 2x4 each top sides together since 2x6 should have been used but I still want good access to the sump.

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_9.jpg

Miracles provided new info on weight that should be 375 pds instead of 430. So easier to manage ourself I guess. Four people with moving straps should be easy. Hoping so.
This means I'm moving toward rimless style... :)

Guillaume
02/13/2012, 07:29 PM
Now, I need some ingineer advises on house structure and weight.
The tank will sit right across the central horizontal house beam, perpendicular to it. It is a 4X6 metal beam (see top of the first pic taken in the basement). There is much probably a vertical metal support just on the corner of the wall, at right (left of the tools).
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_8.jpg

And sit on this metal beam to other beams, made of pine, 3 3/4X6 inches, at 1 feet of each other.
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_7.jpg

Who think its enough?
So the tank would weight 375 pds + 1250 pds of water(150g) + 182 pds of sump water + a few for the 33g glass sump + rocks(50pds) so about 1860 pounds (0,84 metric tons).

For sure I need to check the vertical beam is really there...

And I thought of putting a vertical 4X4 just beside the door(1st pic), supporting the metal beam. Then I would have the vertical metal and the 4x4 beams each side of the tank...

Are we safe with that?
Who bet?

Guillaume
02/14/2012, 09:59 AM
Anyone?

Meshmez
02/14/2012, 01:13 PM
Just a thought, instead of the canopy you could enclose the bottom of the stairs. aside from toys, i would be worried about dirt and other stuff from peoples feet walking up the steps. Without a totally enclosed canopy (which would kinda defeat the purpose of a rimless) I think dirt, and maybe even toys, would still make their way from the stairs into your tank.

Looking forward to updates! This is looking to be a nice build!

cbm369
02/14/2012, 02:37 PM
Now, I need some ingineer advises on house structure and weight.
The tank will sit right across the central horizontal house beam, perpendicular to it. It is a 4X6 metal beam (see top of the first pic taken in the basement). There is much probably a vertical metal support just on the corner of the wall, at right (left of the tools).
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_8.jpg

And sit on this metal beam to other beams, made of pine, 3 3/4X6 inches, at 1 feet of each other.
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_7.jpg

Who think its enough?
So the tank would weight 375 pds + 1250 pds of water(150g) + 182 pds of sump water + a few for the 33g glass sump + rocks(50pds) so about 1860 pounds (0,84 metric tons).

For sure I need to check the vertical beam is really there...

And I thought of putting a vertical 4X4 just beside the door(1st pic), supporting the metal beam. Then I would have the vertical metal and the 4x4 beams each side of the tank...

Are we safe with that?
Who bet?

If the vertical beam is there, I think that is plenty of support for that weight.

Guillaume
02/15/2012, 01:23 PM
Just a thought, instead of the canopy you could enclose the bottom of the stairs. aside from toys, i would be worried about dirt and other stuff from peoples feet walking up the steps. Without a totally enclosed canopy (which would kinda defeat the purpose of a rimless) I think dirt, and maybe even toys, would still make their way from the stairs into your tank.

Looking forward to updates! This is looking to be a nice build!

Thanks Meshmez. I can't resolve myself in closing the stairs since a lot of light pass throught it and gives to the open style of the house. However, you help me think an eurobrace could just do the job, save costs and weight.
Tx

Guillaume
02/15/2012, 01:25 PM
If the vertical beam is there, I think that is plenty of support for that weight.

Thanks cbm369 for your thoughts. Just a question for you did you have to reinforce your house structure for your 125G?

cbm369
02/15/2012, 02:55 PM
Thanks cbm369 for your thoughts. Just a question for you did you have to reinforce your house structure for your 125G?

I didn't. :spin3:

I was fortunate in the placement of the tank. My wife actually wanted it along the wall, right when you walk in the front door. (kinda like a foyer) On the other side of the wall, is the stairway down to the basement area. Directly underneath the tank, in the basement, is where the 55g sump is located. It's a split level house...

So the tank is supported by a main load bearing wall. The preferred tank location just worked out that because of where it's at, I did not feel the need for any additional supports.

So I have a main load bearing wall, floor joists designed for a second story and a subfloor, plywood flooring then newer 1" oak flooring. I felt that this was plenty strong enough for the 125g setup.

Guillaume
02/15/2012, 07:06 PM
ok, good for you.
Thanks

Guillaume
02/21/2012, 07:27 PM
So,with all that said, I finally ordered the rimless+starphire one, visited an acrylic shop and searched for an engineer.
The canopy would be acrylic made, about 6-8 inches tall (maybe more up to ten, depends on the light distance with water), with shady / icy side and fully transparent top. Two Ai Sol will be sitting on top. The whole canopy would be suspended by the (two) lights cables from their suspension kit. So this would be pretty light. It would reflect on the side the light variation of the LEDs through the day, without allowing to see the water drops and salt. The top would fully allow reflection of the lights on the water and illuminate the stairs from bellow. Dust would accumulate on it but would not be seen from the sides.
The canopy could be higher from 2-3 inches to see the water and the rim during the warmer seasons when more air pass through the house. During seasons where we close windows (oct-may) it would stay closed to reduce evaporation and humidity.

I still need to figure an easy way to open the canopy to get easy access to the tank, probably with the side acting like doors with hinges. Same thing for the up and down movement form the canopy for summer/winter seasons without moving away the lights from water level.

As an option, a light blue transparent tape could be put on the interior side of the canopy to give a special tint to the light that goes through.

Bluetangclan
02/21/2012, 09:58 PM
Out of curiousity, maybe I missed something, but are you putting it under open backed stairs like it looks in the pics?

Just a precaution, you might want to close off the stairs over the tank. reason is dirt, dust and debris from people walking up and down all the time falling into the tank. Someone walks upstairs with a coffee cup, trips and now your tank is a light colored brownish. Plus every time you sweep the stairs, no matter how hard you try, stuff will likely fall. Something to think about.

Actually planning a penninsula tank as well here in the near future so I am always looking at ideas how other people do it. Get to the plumbing! :P

65 looks awesome, very well done and modern looking.

Guillaume
02/22/2012, 08:57 AM
Out of curiousity, maybe I missed something, but are you putting it under open backed stairs like it looks in the pics?

Just a precaution, you might want to close off the stairs over the tank. reason is dirt, dust and debris from people walking up and down all the time falling into the tank. Someone walks upstairs with a coffee cup, trips and now your tank is a light colored brownish. Plus every time you sweep the stairs, no matter how hard you try, stuff will likely fall. Something to think about.

Actually planning a penninsula tank as well here in the near future so I am always looking at ideas how other people do it. Get to the plumbing! :P

65 looks awesome, very well done and modern looking.

Thanks for your comment Bluetangclan. And good point on the stairs. This is why I'm planning an acrylic canopy to put over the tank on which I commented earlier. Maybe I was not clear but the canopy will have sides and top cover too.
The acrylic usage would try to replicate an open look, especially with light passing through.

Guillaume
02/29/2012, 07:09 PM
I used a week vacation in the Caribbeans from my spouse :headwally: to work a bit in her back and try the stand in its future place.:thumbsup:

This is a huge stand! Don't want to see the face of my wife the first time the tank will be sitted on its place.

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_15.jpg

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_16.jpg

Guillaume
03/01/2012, 07:10 AM
I got the drawing completed a bit more to figure out the canopy.
I want the AI Sol be hanging from its kit: http://www.goreef.com/AquaIllumination-GripLock-Systems-Hanging-Kit.html
I would like to use it to hold the canopy too since it is made of 1/4 acrylic so will be light.

However, I would want the lights to be fixed at a certain hight (about 10 in. over water surface like on the drawing) and be able to pull up and down the canopy in case I want to get access to the tank. The drawing shows it "half" opened by 2 inches.
Any idea of system I could use?

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/plan155gv2.jpg

cjk76
03/01/2012, 09:21 AM
I think that would be plenty of support for the tank.

Also, have you considered just adding a flat piece of acrylic to the bottom of the stairs? This would fix the problem of falling objects and leave the tank open and rimless. It would be almost invisible if you did it directly under the stairs and inside the side boards. Understand? Too bad you have a load bearing post right there. You could've had a true penninsula!

And let us know what you tell your wife to calm her down. I need a couple things in my back pocket when I upgrade...

Guillaume
03/01/2012, 10:31 AM
Hey, thanks for the tips. I'm not sure I want to close open stairs. I fear to remove the open feeling of these stairs which I like. But for sure it would be more simple.
Also, the benefit from the canopy is, and maybe it won't work, to reduce the evaporation and then humidity in the house during winter. I'm just limit with the current tank and fear a bit with a bigger tank. My plan B in this case would be to run the air exchanger pooring fresh air all day long, whereas it is doing so 33% of the day right now. Because at -20 celcius, introducing fresh air 100% of the day will cost more in heating.

Rytek
03/01/2012, 11:10 AM
See your dry wall that leads to the load bearing wall under your stairs? Looks like you have a thermostat there.

Idea:
On that wall just a little away from the load bearing post, I would cut a "port hole" circular cutout and trim it. The from the kitchen side, when you look at the wall, you would see a window into that area of your tank.

Just a thought.

Rytek
03/01/2012, 11:14 AM
No, given the shapes in that area I would do a more triangular window. But the idea still stands :)

Like a right triangle (half a triangle turned on its head)

Guillaume
03/04/2012, 06:43 AM
Thanks Rytek for the idea. In fact, you're totally right and the plan is to expand on this idea and remove the wall totally ! :)
If you look at the drawings, the wall is replaced by a sort of open wall, made of cables on the drawing but most likely will be made of old recycled metal T or H beams, ideally rusted and varnished. On these would be plants to give a green wall feeling. The area where the tank is would be more open and accessible than on the drawing.
What to do you think?

Guillaume
03/04/2012, 07:11 AM
Stuck with two projects in one. I'm delayed needing to build an ilot for the kitchen at the same time. Needless to say on which one I'm the more commited...
Using solid 5/8 birch plywood.
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Ilot20120304.jpg

aqua80
03/04/2012, 07:29 AM
I got the drawing completed a bit more to figure out the canopy.
I want the AI Sol be hanging from its kit: http://www.goreef.com/AquaIllumination-GripLock-Systems-Hanging-Kit.html
I would like to use it to hold the canopy too since it is made of 1/4 acrylic so will be light.

However, I would want the lights to be fixed at a certain hight (about 10 in. over water surface like on the drawing) and be able to pull up and down the canopy in case I want to get access to the tank. The drawing shows it "half" opened by 2 inches.
Any idea of system I could use?

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/plan155gv2.jpg

Nice project Guillaume !
what kind of reef you want in your peninsula ? 2 AI for 6' x 27" is not a ton of light... Think you would need at least 3 unit with t5h0/vho supplements front and back... just a thought before you make the canopy with openings for the AI !

Guillaume
03/04/2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the comment aqua80.
I know for the lights. A couple of things tell me I can run with two for the begining:
- I'm now growing SPS with a 150W MH(14000k) and 2x 65W PC probably poor in term of PAR, better in term of NM and all this most probably in the range of 50-80 PAR (micromoles/m2/sec) max.
- I'm considering doing two islands over which will be the AI Sol;
- AI Sol can shoot more than 300 PAR at 24" and covers about 30x30" as per Sanjay's test: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/5/aafeature2
- In term of NM, the colors of the AI Sol are less good and may need to be supplemented as you said. However, since their lights exists since a while and comments on them seam good, I guess they should not give too much harm to coral growth. For the eye candy side of the colors, I may less like it but I can wait a bit before to improve...
- Because the Aquaillumination Vega will be lauched and with it, an upgrade kit for the AI Sol with better colors mix. That could be a nice upgrade in a year or so.
- Budget wise, I can't add a third one, but I could in the future and could adapt the canopy doing a third hole in the center and maybe some strenghtening mods.
What do you think?

aqua80
03/04/2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the comment aqua80.
I know for the lights. A couple of things tell me I can run with two for the begining:
- I'm now growing SPS with a 150W MH(14000k) and 2x 65W PC probably poor in term of PAR, better in term of NM and all this most probably in the range of 50-80 PAR (micromoles/m2/sec) max.
- I'm considering doing two islands over which will be the AI Sol;
- AI Sol can shoot more than 300 PAR at 24" and covers about 30x30" as per Sanjay's test: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/5/aafeature2
- In term of NM, the colors of the AI Sol are less good and may need to be supplemented as you said. However, since their lights exists since a while and comments on them seam good, I guess they should not give too much harm to coral growth. For the eye candy side of the colors, I may less like it but I can wait a bit before to improve...
- Because the Aquaillumination Vega will be lauched and with it, an upgrade kit for the AI Sol with better colors mix. That could be a nice upgrade in a year or so.
- Budget wise, I can't add a third one, but I could in the future and could adapt the canopy doing a third hole in the center and maybe some strenghtening mods.
What do you think?

I agree you could start with two units (maybe with 70degrees optics) over your 2 islands to begin with, but par drops really fast when you're not directly under the Led unit (especially with optics...) and it is your cover that worry me if you want to add other units after that....

If it where my tank, for full sps, I would go with 4 or 5 units rotated 90degrees from your renderings (sur la largeur !) with 1 t5h0 retrofit on the front and back (2 fiji purple or 1 fiji/1actinic)
but that's for full sps reef !

edit: in fact if it were my tank I would go for a 48" 8 bulbs ATI t5h0 unit that would give great coverage, but AI would be my 2nd choice for now

Guillaume
03/05/2012, 09:30 AM
Yes you're right, I will need the 70 degrees optics. I don't know if they sell a AI Sol with the 70 optics or if we absolutly need to buy these optics appart the fixture.

Guillaume
03/28/2012, 07:17 AM
A few updates: I received the 2 AI Sol Blue. Not tested yet on the existing tank but this is the next plan when my wife will be out :bounce1:
I also ordered 2 set of 70 degrees optics. I'm getting slowly convinced a third AI unit will be necessary pretty soon. But I would like to get the Vega unit if AI can stop delaying their launch :headwally:
Now I'm working hard to finish the island furniture and the stand in time for end of April. Doing it almost 10 minutes at a time with the kids around...

A question for you all: I have been told to put a 1/2" foam under the tank bottom before the plywood. I guess it should be the white low density foam but want to check to be sure. I think a blue or pink more dense foam would probably not balance the uneven spots like it should.
Thanks!

Guillaume
04/18/2012, 07:10 AM
Some updates needed here!

The stand is going well and is about to be completed:

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_61.jpg
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_60.jpg

And the electrical / Apex section here:
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_59.jpg

Guillaume
04/18/2012, 07:20 AM
We also did some house structure proofing excercise as recommanded by you guys and by some friends too.
An expert in structure been here and provided recommandations on the wall (supporting some weight) we want to remove in the kitchen and for the weight of the tank. I asked also the builder of the house to come back and tell me how the basement cement floor was reinforced, walls, etc. I was ready to brake down a wall, brake the cement floor to make a solid base for a beam supporting the main floor, but to the great benefit of my wife's mental balance, the builder told us, with pictures, that there was a solid base under the cement where we wanted to put a post.

Now done.:beer: This red post supporting the main house vertical beam is capable of 8000 pounds...
And the little guy like a bit too much my portable screw driver, now called zizii.
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_621.jpg

Guillaume
04/18/2012, 07:24 AM
Tank's coming! Previews from Miracles:

Does anyone see a problem?

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/P1020236copy.jpg

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/P1020237copy.jpg

cdrewferd
04/18/2012, 11:11 AM
Only problem I see is it's not on your stand and stocked yet. Good looking build.

Soccernut5824
04/18/2012, 12:02 PM
What'd you where to drill half way into the 1in piece where you want to placeur mp40? Just a thought idk

packman90
04/18/2012, 01:16 PM
Wow, I want one.

Guillaume
04/18/2012, 01:25 PM
Only problem I see is it's not on your stand and stocked yet. Good looking build.

That is clearly a huge problem !!! ;)
...that I should resolve next week :beer:

Guillaume
04/18/2012, 01:50 PM
What'd you where to drill half way into the 1in piece where you want to placeur mp40? Just a thought idk

Well, you got the problem. 1 inch thick don'T go for MP40. Next step is to brak down the tank. Or drill like you said.

But mmm no. This is 3/4 glass and 1/4 acrylic. I could drill the acrylic but I would need to be sure to keep the pump there ever. Which I can't garantee. I like to do tests and improvements. For a new tank at this $$, I want something that works.

The end of the story, this is not finished by the way is that they propose to swap my two mp40s for two mp60s. Let's see if they will...

Hoping also that mp60 are not overkill on that tank.

Soccernut5824
04/18/2012, 05:02 PM
haha well it might be a tad over kill considering i read some other comment u made abotu u having LPS and if i recall they likes low to medium flow and honestly iv never had a Vortech pump but idk if your going to get low to medium flow from 3000gph haha

in all honestly i was complain and complain until ur expensive tank is the way you want it. and if they cant do that i would get a tank from a different maker. it may take longer but for the $$ im sure your paying you should get the perfect tank for you.

Guillaume
04/18/2012, 05:45 PM
Quite right!!!

Soccernut5824
04/18/2012, 08:29 PM
good luck with the build i will def be following. good luck with the tank.

Guillaume
04/21/2012, 06:49 PM
our week of vacatoin just started. Kids are at gramma's, a wall is about to disapear... but I still don't know when I'm gonna receive this tank! It is completed. They won't take 3 weeks more to tear it down and change the 1 inch panel but will swap my pumps instead. Just waiting the call saying its gone! Should take 2-3 days by this time.

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_1291.jpg

cjk76
04/23/2012, 03:09 PM
Nice progress!

Quick question: what are you doing to make sure the MP40s are staying cool in those dry boxes?

Guillaume
04/24/2012, 04:02 PM
Finally, it will be 2 supercharged MP60.
The main way to cool will be the open top of the pits. I know the MP60 has an integrated fan so it should help the air to move and hot air go out.
Pit method inspired of other users, as here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2060476
Not heard yet about pump blown out by heat but would be interested to know. :)

cdrewferd
04/24/2012, 05:06 PM
Can't wait. You'll have to dial those MP60's way back. Maybe 25% each and even then it may be too much.

Guillaume
04/24/2012, 05:46 PM
I know. I thought to put the mp40 at 80-100% (max. 3200gph) now the min. of the mp60 is 3500 gph. I don't know what Ecotech means by minimum in term of % but it may be the 25% you are talking about.
Well, for sure, I will have some accros loving it !

Guillaume
04/24/2012, 05:49 PM
Heard about the tank manufacturer that told me to be waiting the tank on Thursday... yup, yup, yup !

Guillaume
04/24/2012, 05:51 PM
Yeah, too, I ordered a third AI that I will put in the center, between the two islands that won't have the full 70 degrees optics like the two others on each side. Will put then my squamosa clam under it and watch it grow :)

Soccernut5824
04/26/2012, 08:09 PM
pictures? did you get the tank yet its Thursday?

hobbby3
04/26/2012, 09:53 PM
I'd say they did, and are too busy playing with the new toy to take a picture.

/subscribed

cjk76
04/27/2012, 11:48 AM
Finally, it will be 2 supercharged MP60.
The main way to cool will be the open top of the pits. I know the MP60 has an integrated fan so it should help the air to move and hot air go out.
Pit method inspired of other users, as here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2060476
Not heard yet about pump blown out by heat but would be interested to know. :)

Our local club is building a tank for a school. It is surrounded by cinderblocks, so we siliconed acrylic boxes to the sides and put PC fans on the top to push the heat out. Just wondering if you had planned to do that.

Guillaume
04/27/2012, 06:52 PM
Our local club is building a tank for a school. It is surrounded by cinderblocks, so we siliconed acrylic boxes to the sides and put PC fans on the top to push the heat out. Just wondering if you had planned to do that.

No plan to do taht but will remind. I will monitor the heat and see.
Thanks for the idea.

Guillaume
04/27/2012, 06:57 PM
Yes, I got too busy to post news. I had to wait on today to finally get the tank. The transport company got delayed by a snow storm on Tuesday in Ontario.

Now the tank is on the stand and filling. I finally found enough strong guy in the neightbeirhood to lift this giga. Got a few 5 gallons filled today and expect 24hrs of filling. I have not much pressure on the pipe on which I plugged the RODI filter unfortunately. Place for improvements...

I have a few pics for you all I will post as soon as I can find a minute.

Guillaume
04/28/2012, 06:10 AM
Ahhh ha ! All the efforts starts to show off.
After two nights with insomnia thinking about new ideas, the tank has been put in the house by 6 very nice guys. Everyone said it was heavy. Followed beers and chicken wings.

This morning the tanks has 5 inches of water in it.
These are pictures from yesterday afternoon completing the last preparation and last evening enjoying the work done, stress fallen.

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_1341.jpg

Woah, it is cold these days in Quebec, about 5 Celcius max in the day.
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_1401.jpg

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_1441.jpg

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_1421.jpg

cjk76
04/29/2012, 07:57 AM
Beautiful tank, now fill it with coral! Haha. 4C is about 40F for us south of the border, in case anyone was wondering. Chilly!

Where's the sump? When do you plan on having it plumbed?

Ok, and just wondering, is French your first language? Your posts have been well written, but I was just wondering how you say aquarium in French. Haha

Guillaume
05/02/2012, 07:18 PM
Woaw, been too busy to post news here but the tank is filled, coral and fishes have been literally thrown in and I ran the tank without sump for 2-3 days. Now the sump is plugged, web of wires from the Apex need to be cleaned and put away from my 1,5 year old boy. Skimmer breaks in. Refugium filled with 6 inches of sand: trying this DSB for the first time but heard good things about it. Covered also for Cheato which I experienced and appreciated in the past.

The 3 AI Sol are doing well, 45% of power. Controlled by the Apex with the seasonnal time of day changes. I look forward to play with the balance of the 3 LED colors. Maybe this week end my wife won't be there :) I saw also a trouble with the storm mode that play me lightings that stays on for more then it should (0.5 to 1 sec.).

Also, one of my two MP60 is really noisy so I'm asking Ecotech about it. I'm turing it off during night to not hear it in the bedroom...

Yes, French first language here in Quebec, and aquairum is the word as you guess. Disaster is also a synonyms in some wife's languages too... ;)

And I'm now not running in putting this canopy on top. If humidity was not a so huge problem during winter, I would keep it open and just put a glass on the stairs above the tank, as Meshmez proposed.

Guillaume
05/28/2012, 06:19 PM
Some updates needed since a long time. Sorry, been very busy with work.

Some results just after the renovation week. Everythin just thrown in the tank.
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver_2012_1911.jpg

And some improvements with the rock work, image dark sorry for this. That was tonight:
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/t_2012_2091.jpg

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/t_2012_212.jpg

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/t_2012_213.jpg

I also need to practice with my camera...

Guillaume
05/28/2012, 06:31 PM
First new livestock in this tank was the stylophora you can see on the pics.

Next, I'm planning on fish stocking. I would like pairs, but especially shoaling fishes.
These are my ideas:

Anthias (x3 at least but not sure which one to start with, easiest one preferably)
Pyjama cardinals (x3 or 5, hoping my tank is not too active for them)
Two neon goby
A convict tang
Banner butterfly (2x Heniochus diphreutes, but not sure I want to risk my LPS already)

Looking for some other interesting ideas

hobbby3
05/29/2012, 12:46 PM
First new livestock in this tank was the stylophora you can see on the pics.

Next, I'm planning on fish stocking. I would like pairs, but especially shoaling fishes.
These are my ideas:

Anthias (x3 at least but not sure which one to start with, easiest one preferably)
Pyjama cardinals (x3 or 5, hoping my tank is not too active for them)
Two neon goby
A convict tang
Banner butterfly (2x Heniochus diphreutes, but not sure I want to risk my LPS already)

Looking for some other interesting ideas

I like the way blue green chromis swim in groups in the water column above the rock work.

Chrisrush
05/29/2012, 02:01 PM
Very cool. I can't believe Miracles swapped the pumps for you instead of pulling out the divider.

bhsgk
05/29/2012, 03:02 PM
i know youve probably heard this a couple of times, but your tank is one of the nicest and cleanest tanks that ive seen on here. i really like that footprint and you have, IMO, aquascaped your tank perfectly!!!!

Guillaume
05/29/2012, 05:02 PM
great set up! I like how you can see both sides of the tank.

Thanks, I'm wainting to put the final 3/4 pine sheets around the post...

I like the way blue green chromis swim in groups in the water column above the rock work. 
I like them too. Have you got success with them? Tell me how, because I lost them pretty quick the two times I tried in the previous tank. I read also pretty poor success stories in here on these fishes, even if they are qualifyed "easy" by Liveaquaria for instance. So I'm not fully confident to try them again.

Very cool. I can't believe Miracles swapped the pumps for you instead of pulling out the divider. 
Well I got some delay in delivery but still they were pretty good in clearing this issue. I can say I'm satisfied again with them (hesitating because they were very not quick in answering. I heard they are very busy during spring).

i know youve probably heard this a couple of times, but your tank is one of the nicest and cleanest tanks that ive seen on here. i really like that footprint and you have, IMO, aquascaped your tank perfectly!!!!

Thanks very much, haven't heard a lot actually. And still much things to perfect. :)

hobbby3
09/11/2012, 10:22 PM
I like them too. Have you got success with them? Tell me how, because I lost them pretty quick the two times I tried in the previous tank. I read also pretty poor success stories in here on these fishes, even if they are qualifyed "easy" by Liveaquaria for instance. So I'm not fully confident to try them again.

I have 3 in my 90 gallon. They each have their own hiding spot but spend most of their day cruising around in the top of the water column snatching things out of the water.

Do you have an update for us?? :)

Guillaume
09/12/2012, 06:39 PM
Well, things go... slow. Well, slower than we always want, as you know.

So I almost finished the kitchen, but a big part is missing, which is the top cover of the tank. I ordered it, made of acrylic. Should get it in a few days.

I introduced a few frags, mainly two accro heads and a sort of crazy growing monti. If I can get a close shot of this one once...

I tryed to introduce a couple of Heniocus Diphreutes in July. It went wrong with my yellow tang. One dyed. The other came picking on my open brain. Fishe sold. Mistake ? Not knowing the aggressive side of yellow tangs and not using a quarantine to put in shape fishes that are not that strong after a long journey.

Now the QT is permanent in my basement.

In the QT are at the moment three Banggai cardinals since about 3 weeks. I purchased them seperatly trying to match female and male. But they were pretty though to identify at the LFS and I'm with three male now. But getting strong these guys.

My goal is to get about 10-12 green chromis that I love too and introduce them all(with the cardinals) in the main tank, at the same time, after a good quarantine time. I will for sure separate the GC and the cardinals in two QT.
My main goal is to reduce (spread) agression from the tang and enjoy the shoaling habits of these fishes.

Pics: At night with the green wall that needs to grow in background:
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/t_2012_675.jpg
Full tank shot:
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/t_2012_670.jpg

Closer shot with bad reflections (sorry, I'd like to do real macro but I don't have a proper lens at the moment)
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/t_2012_6771.jpg

Guillaume
10/22/2012, 12:24 PM
Tank canopy is finished. Stairs are open now and it gives a cleaner look.

11 Chromis have been added without trouble after quarantine. Three Banggai Cardinals too. The tang stood chill. :)

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Guillaume_4_011.jpg

cjk76
10/22/2012, 02:19 PM
Very simple solution for the canopy. I really like it. You still might watch for jumpers, but I might steal that idea from you when I set up my next tank.

Are you planning to add anything else to the tank? It looks great already!!!

Guillaume
10/22/2012, 03:41 PM
Steal my friend steal!!
Yes, jumpers are still an issue. I chose fishes accordingly.
I want to had other accros and LPS. I jsut added a nice Red Monti Digitata, which you don't see well, behind the tang.
For new fishes, I don't know. It is nicely packed right now, but there would still be room for something like anthias or nano gobies. I really don't know right now.
Ideas welcomed.

hobbby3
10/23/2012, 02:15 PM
Looks fantastic! More pictures please :)

I'd love to see how you finished off the kitchen area and some close up photos of the rock structures to get a good look at your coral selection

Guillaume
10/23/2012, 06:23 PM
Tks! I'm out of the town right now but will come back with pics at the end of the week.

adddo
10/24/2012, 04:22 AM
Looks great!

weicowireman
10/24/2012, 04:56 AM
That looks awesome. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjk76
03/05/2013, 05:17 PM
Any updates on this?

Guillaume
03/05/2013, 08:12 PM
Oh gosh, I'm so late in posting updates.:mad:
Everything is going mostly nice in the tank. Bad day to say it tough because I lost a cleaner shrimp today. It was on its back when I came back home.
Appart from this, I lost 2 chromis during Christmas time. Knowing they can be hard to keep, I'm auto feeding them once a day and manualy a second time per day but will start twice auto feed today.

On the addition side, I added a big accro, those with a big tronc (1 inch wide), a leptogorgonian (bad choice) I feed with rotifers and Reef-Roids 3-5 times weekly. I also got another gorgonian, the LFS called an Iris (never found a reference on this), which is photosynthetic and should survive longer than the other one.
My couple of Banggai cardinals are breeding all the time but I never seen any fry yet in their mouth or in the water. Big male mouth and fishes courthsip are the only signs. I was waiting about the new book on the topic to better understand the deal but it won't be out before spring now. Meanwhile I dropped in reef porn listening Reefthread podcast every evening on the trip back home, listening all the episodes I missed.

Everything is growing fast and I don't know what I will do with my big accro in the middle. Prunning it may dislodge its base so I'm still thinking about it.

Sad to say I don't have any 2013 pictures. These are from early November:

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Automne_2012_981.jpg
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Automne_2012_951.jpg

Reefed419
03/05/2013, 08:26 PM
looks very good man, we want to see some updated pics

Guillaume
03/06/2013, 06:54 PM
First pics of 2013!
Back from the office, got the kids out of the way and took time to snap a few shots... :fun4:

This is a little walk around the tank:

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver2013_2311.jpg

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver2013_2321.jpg

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver2013_2341.jpg

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/gouaill/Hiver2013_2361.jpg