PDA

View Full Version : Is my tank and stand sturdy?

AEALOVESHERGIRLS
02/10/2012, 03:28 PM
Hello all! I received my 90 gallon and stand today, I filled it to the top for a leak test. I noticed every time someone walks past the tank, the water moves a little. Also, if I lightly push or pull on it the water will move to the back or front. I love how big it is, but it makes me nervous.
Also, when I see threads of self built stands, you guys have a much thicker and sturdier stand then I have purchased. How can I tell if my tank and stand are sturdy?

AEALOVESHERGIRLS
02/10/2012, 03:32 PM
Here are some pics..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/aealoveshergirls/003-5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/aealoveshergirls/002-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/aealoveshergirls/001-2.jpg

aleonn
02/10/2012, 03:44 PM
If water is splashing around like that, your stand isn't sturdy enough IMO. I can't absolutely tell from your pictures, but it looks like your stand makes contact with the floor at 4 legs, which wouldn't evenly distribute the entire weight of the tank, water, and its contents. IMO you need to purchase or build a stand meant for an aquarium.

RtReef
02/10/2012, 03:59 PM
I would be leary of the stand. Keep in mind with water alone you have 750 lbs. of weight on the stand. Now factor in the weight of the tank, equipment, live rock, corals, etc. You are easily around the 1000 lbs mark. Thats about 6 160 lb persons sitting on there all day everyday. If I was you, get a sturdier stand or reinforce the one you have now by letting it sit flushly on the floor and adding extra wood braces throughout.

cordell
02/10/2012, 04:11 PM
It either touches the floor at four spots or the entire left and right side touch the floor. Either way doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Also, another thing to be concerned about is the floor construction. Is this a raised floor house, concrete, .. ? If raised, you need to check which direction and the location the floor joists run. If you have those left and right side "legs" sitting right between joists and not on top of them, that is asking for trouble, sooner or later.

Also, in the middle front, there is no vertical support. The center of the tank has nothing to support it. Those pieces running horizontally under the tank will bow downward easily I bet, especially under hundreds of pounds of water.

I like the design of the stand, but I don't think I would trust it. Did you order it locally, and can you return it or exchange it for another style? I'm sure you have thought about this in advance, but do you ever plan to have a sump or refugium under the tank? That particular style stand wouldn't support a sump or fuge very well I don't think since there isn't much room underneath. Something to think about...

tangs_tank
02/10/2012, 04:32 PM
Beautiful stand, but from the pictures its one of those stands that if everything is "perfect", meaning you'll never touch the tank, no one ever bumps into it, a semi-truck doesn't drive by outside, etc it will hold. But as we all know that "perfect" scenario isn't going to happen. So, IMO don't trust it. Floor does have a lot to do with your water moving too.

kelrn98
02/10/2012, 05:17 PM
Also, just from experience, I would like to show you what can happen when a saltwater tank spills onto hardwood floors. I wish someone had warned me, lol.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=5733&pictureid=39585

aleonn
02/10/2012, 05:29 PM
^ Wow, I think it's actually worse than it looks!

AEALOVESHERGIRLS
02/10/2012, 05:48 PM
WOW! I'm shocked by all your opinions! I mean, I asked for them but you think this stand doesn't look like it was designed to support the tank? The stand is made by Perfecto and was just built a few weeks ago. It has a special coating on it to protect from the water. All parts of the stand are flat on the floor and my basement joists are running from the wall behind it towards the front of the stand.

Now what do I do? Call the fish store and ask for a different cabinet?

sporto0
02/10/2012, 06:03 PM
Just make sure it is perfectly level, use wooden or hard rubber shims under the legs & your problems are solved, that stand is very well built & will easily hold that tank, don't panic & don't return it. The reason may be uneven flooring.

AEALOVESHERGIRLS
02/10/2012, 06:10 PM
It doesn't have legs.

sporto0
02/10/2012, 06:13 PM
It doesn't have legs.

Ok fine, it has a bottom, do you have a level to put on the tank rim? Check all four sides. Then put the level on your floor & check that, if the stand is moving slightly it is because it is rocking & not completely level. Hardwood floors often have quite a bit of give to them.

saltysailor2329
02/10/2012, 06:28 PM
IMO it looks to be on the "weaker" side, but I hesitate to say that you need to immediately return it. If it were me and I liked the design I would look at reinforcing it. You can never over engineer when you have 1000+ lbs and lots of money sitting there.

AEALOVESHERGIRLS
02/10/2012, 06:49 PM
The stand and the tank have no visible movement, it feels solid. My concern was people walking by, is it normal for their to be vibrations in the water, or should there be no movement.

sporto0
02/10/2012, 07:09 PM
The stand and the tank have no visible movement, it feels solid. My concern was people walking by, is it normal for their to be vibrations in the water, or should there be no movement.

Absolutely normal, my tank is on carpet & the same thing occurs. That stand is plenty sturdy enough to hold your tank so don't be concerned about that either.

Meshmez
02/10/2012, 07:09 PM
are you talking about vibrations on the still water? or are you talking about water sloshing? You were talking about how "water moves from back to front" to me this is a sloshing, if you just mean you see tiny ripples i dont think you can ever get rid of that unless you have a concrete slab under it. I might still consider putting something under the "legs" (or whatever you want to call them if you dont want to call them legs) to spread the weight across the length. The way you are saying your floor joists are running it is very possible your tank is not on any of them....

dzfish17
02/10/2012, 07:17 PM
Just make sure it is perfectly level, use wooden or hard rubber shims under the legs & your problems are solved, that stand is very well built & will easily hold that tank, don't panic & don't return it. The reason may be uneven flooring.

I agree... looks solid.
Absolutely normal, my tank is on carpet & the same thing occurs. That stand is plenty sturdy enough to hold your tank so don't be concerned about that either.

+1

AEALOVESHERGIRLS
02/10/2012, 07:42 PM
Thank you!! That's all I needed. I have no idea where I would "add more support" to the stand. It's made by the same company that made the tank, I would hope they know how to make it! Maybe I should take more pictures.

This is under the tank...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/aealoveshergirls/025.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/aealoveshergirls/024.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/aealoveshergirls/023.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/aealoveshergirls/022.jpg

Do you think that's enough support?

Here is another pic of the stand, pics are of side, behind and under stand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/aealoveshergirls/014-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/aealoveshergirls/013-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/aealoveshergirls/012-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/aealoveshergirls/010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/aealoveshergirls/009-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/aealoveshergirls/008-3.jpg

Playa-1
02/10/2012, 08:02 PM
The second set of photos makes me feel alot better about it :) I think you're good to go.

JMartin104
02/10/2012, 08:24 PM
I think it's pretty hard to say without seeing how it's assembled, what type of materials, etc. If you bought it from a pet store as a fish tank stand, they should be able to provide you with a max load rating. I have a 110 and the thickest part of the stand is 1/2".

dakineacct
02/11/2012, 07:04 AM
You are fine, provided your tank and stand are level and stable.

Perfecto/Marineland recommends this stand for tanks between 75 and 110 gallons. I am pretty certain that Marineland engineers their stands to support the recommended tank size - with a factor of safety.

It looks great, enjoy your new tank!

Saltydrip
02/11/2012, 07:51 AM
I would say it's the flooring. It looks on the newer side. Strength isn't an issue. Almost all new construction uses those laminate beams. They ate great and can support a lot of weight. I think what the problem is no lateral bracing in the floor joists. It's not mandatory but in longer spans or under heavy load the beams will get springy. There is probably only 1/32" of movement but it seems like more. If your handy and really want to get rid of the bounce then youcan go get a phew 2x4s and add a phew running across the joists in the area you would walk threw.

I do not believe your floor is in any way overloaded or close too it. It's just the inherent nature of that style joist. To be honest... The best way to solve the problem is to set the tank up. Have some powerheads agitate the surface of the water and you will never notice it again.

Pillgrimm
02/11/2012, 08:18 AM
I'm by no means an expert, but I'll throw a couple of thoughts out.

I like the aesthetics of the stand, it's visually appealing and looks well constructed.

What would concern me is the weight transfer relative to the vertical supports both at the tanks bottom level and sides, as well as at the floor.

Ideally the vertical supports would be all the way to the edges of the tank. In the pictures it looks like the tank carries over past the vertical supports. The thin shelf on the top of the stand doesn't carry weight, it transfers it down the vertical supports, and having overhang where the tank goes past the vertical supports would make it more susceptible to wobble. It doesn't look like much hangover, but it's some, and I would think the more hangover, the more motion, if any, from the floor, etc would transfer to tank movement. I'm not suggesting the amount of hangover would lead to a catastrophe, rather that, if you have a wobble issue where movement is transferring to the tank, a stand which supported the tank all the way around the edges would reduce the amount of motion transferred.

Similarly, the bottom of the stand doesnt make constant and full contact with the floor. Now, most stands don't, and never have an issue, but personally I prefer something that makes full contact with the floor all the way around. Once again it's about weight transfer and stability. The more transfer surface, the more stable it will be.

I have a huge tendancy to over engineer things, however, so take my observations with a grain of salt.

TeHGuy
02/11/2012, 08:27 AM
I think your movement issue is more likely the floor than the tank. Proper design (which Im sure your stand designer used) would make the stand capable of holding upwards of double what it will likely be holding. I wouldnt go throwing a shoulder check into the side of your stand, but I think you will be fine. If you wanted to reinforce anything, I would reinforce the floor from the basement. But that may not be necessary depending on whether you run parallel or perpendicular to your floor joists. You are probably fine regardless. Mine does the same thing and has been doing it for a long time.

Saltydrip
02/11/2012, 09:22 AM
I have a flimsy steal stand. It wobbles when I clean my front glass. I build some crazy stuff for a living. I'm fine with it. I'm sure you will never have a problem. I used to rent a nice new house like yours with big rooms and because of the open flore space everything had a bit of bounce to it. My 50" tv would move a little when I walked past. I'm sure your tank is fine. Like I said. Once the wares surface has some flow you won't notice it.

One problem with a stand with full contact with the floor doesn't work in all houses. I have a 300 year old home with random width oak floors. They are kinda random hight too. The floor joists are hand cut/chiseled trees. My floors arnt close to flat. There is no way a solid base stand would work. The base of my stand has threaded adjustable pads with only about a 1x1" area holding up each corner.

Saltydrip
02/11/2012, 09:23 AM
I have a flimsy steal stand. It wobbles when I clean my front glass. I build some crazy stuff for a living. I'm fine with it. I'm sure you will never have a problem. I used to rent a nice new house like yours with big rooms and because of the open flore space everything had a bit of bounce to it. My 50" tv would move a little when I walked past. I'm sure your tank is fine. Like I said. Once the wares surface has some flow you won't notice it.

One problem with a stand with full contact with the floor doesn't work in all houses. I have a 300 year old home with random width oak floors. They are kinda random hight too. The floor joists are hand cut/chiseled trees. My floors arnt close to flat. There is no way a solid base stand would work. The base of my stand has threaded adjustable pads with only about a 1x1" area holding up each corner.

dakineacct
02/11/2012, 09:34 AM
Ideally the vertical supports would be all the way to the edges of the tank. In the pictures it looks like the tank carries over past the vertical supports. The thin shelf on the top of the stand doesn't carry weight, it transfers it down the vertical supports, and having overhang where the tank goes past the vertical supports would make it more susceptible to wobble. It doesn't look like much hangover, but it's some, and I would think the more hangover, the more motion, if any, from the floor, etc would transfer to tank movement. I'm not suggesting the amount of hangover would lead to a catastrophe, rather that, if you have a wobble issue where movement is transferring to the tank, a stand which supported the tank all the way around the edges would reduce the amount of motion transferred.

This VERY minimal amount of overhang of this stand is not contributing to the observed movement of water in the tank when someone walks pass the tank.

RubberFrog
02/11/2012, 12:47 PM
A lot of folks on this forum aren't happy unless you're tank is on a concrete pedestal. A brand new stand from a tank manufacturer is not going to be a problem. Your tank moves when people walk past because you have a little deflection in your floor. Don't worry about it.

Meshmez
02/11/2012, 01:56 PM
The stand itself looks fine, vibration on the water is normal. What i was saying is that when you dont have the weight supported across the entire length of the tank, the weight of the tank is transferred to the floor in small areas or points. I would just be worried that unless it was on a concrete slab, the fact that the part of the tank that contacts the floor isnt symmetrical, and isnt very wide, you could have issues... not with the stand, but with the floor. Think of it this way, if a 100# woman in high heels walks on grass she may easily sink a heel into the dirt. However, a 250# person with size 14 show isnt very likely to put their foot through the dirt. Same way snow shoes work.

If you could make sure the 2 short sides of the stand were directly over the floor joists underneath, it would negate the worry i would have.

dakineacct
02/11/2012, 02:54 PM
If you could make sure the 2 short sides of the stand were directly over the floor joists underneath, it would negate the worry i would have.

Put your worries to rest, the two side vertical supports of the stand are resting on hardwood flooring installed on sub flooring, which is supported by floor joists running perpendicular to the tank. The floor system (hardwood floors & subfloor) transfers the load of the tank to several joists.

Saltydrip
02/11/2012, 03:30 PM
put your worries to rest, the two side vertical supports of the stand are resting on hardwood flooring installed on sub flooring, which is supported by floor joists running perpendicular to the tank. The floor system (hardwood floors & subfloor) transfers the load of the tank to several joists.

+1

James77
02/11/2012, 04:38 PM
A lot of folks on this forum aren't happy unless you're tank is on a concrete pedestal. A brand new stand from a tank manufacturer is not going to be a problem. Your tank moves when people walk past because you have a little deflection in your floor. Don't worry about it.

+1 to this. The stand is plenty strong and I would not have any worries about using it exactly as it is.

If your tank moves enough to maje you uncomfortable, you could put jack posts(kind of expensive) or even 2xsomethings(nice and cheap) to support directly underneath it. I think the floor as is is fine to support it, 90s dont really weight that much, but adding support would just solidify everything. I have had a 175 gallon tank sitting 5 feet out from a main support beam. I used a jack and beam, but even after 2 years it did not noticeably settle(evident by shims being under same pressure as beginning).

Ben34105
02/11/2012, 04:46 PM
Are you going to leave it infront of the light switches? If a switch ever goes bad you'll have to break down and move the tank.

gmate
02/11/2012, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't feel comfortable with that stand. that's just my opinion.

bundybear1981
02/11/2012, 05:36 PM
Are you going to leave it infront of the light switches? If a switch ever goes bad you'll have to break down and move the tank.

+1 here If leaving it in front of switches I would make sure there is enough space for an electrician to be able to replace the switches. A full tank can't be moved forward to give access.
I think that a foot should be enough but someone might be able to give a better space recommendation for you.

But back to your OP, I think that the stand is stable enough and its just the floor movement that is unnerving you. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the pics as it progresses!

bnumair
02/11/2012, 05:37 PM
cant pin point but something dont look good about the stand. it just dont seem sturdy enough to me for 1000 lbs or so. just my opinion,
was the stand made for a tank to go on top? or is it just a stand u purchased.

James77
02/11/2012, 05:42 PM
The stand was manufactured by perfecto, so I'm sure they realize what it will be supporting and built it appropriately. I think people think to much about the weight of tanks, 1000 pounds is not that much weight and most stands tend to be way overbuilt because of it. When I built my very first tank I used 4x4s because of the "massive" weight. I could build one from 1x4s now that would be more than adequate in supporting a tank.

I think what throws people of with this stand is its lack of a front part touching the floor? It has a piece of wood on end running horizontally tracnsferring that weight to the ends. It even has middle support built into that transferring again into the sides. Even without that middle brace in the front, that top support board is only really holding less than 300 pounds of the total weight...not a whole lot. Each linear foot of that stand- 11 feet- is holding about 90 pounds.

Bliz
02/11/2012, 07:46 PM
My main concern with the stand is that there's no where to put a sump, fuge or even a canister filter. You would have to DIY some holes through the back of the stand to run any kind of plumbing/wiring and even then it doesn't seem that there is enough room for any kind of filter down below.

What kind of filtration are you planning on running?

Saltydrip
02/11/2012, 08:01 PM
That was my first thought. It would be a good stand for a basement sump!!! Solve all your problems!!!! Build a 2x4 rack from floor to sealing just under the tank and you can have a sump as well as stiffen up the floor. 2birds with a phew 2x4s and some plywood!!

Playa-1
02/11/2012, 08:18 PM
That was my first thought. It would be a good stand for a basement sump!!! Solve all your problems!!!! Build a 2x4 rack from floor to sealing just under the tank and you can have a sump as well as stiffen up the floor. 2birds with a phew 2x4s and some plywood!!

:lmao: Now we're talkin

James77
02/11/2012, 08:24 PM

This is a good point.....

Even were they to stay, I'd be somewhat concerned with splashing saltwater and salt creep. Moving them shouldn't be too bad. At the very least I would replce them with brand new ones if the house is more than 10 years or so to buy time....

Saltydrip
02/11/2012, 08:40 PM
I could replace a switch no problem with about 4" between the tank and wall.

Meshmez
02/11/2012, 11:04 PM

Better reinforce the basement floor then...

KIDDING...