PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from 21 to 42 gallons. More fish?

Mytola
02/10/2012, 08:26 PM
I'm in the process of upgrading my 21 gallon cube to a 42 gallon cube, and I was wondering about my stock list. I currently have:

2 Ocellaris juveniles
2 Bangaii Cardinals
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Sailfin Blenny

It's a mixed reef with shrimp, SPS, LPS and softies, btw.

Would it be okay to add anything else, or is this pretty much full already when the clowns grow to maturity? Any tips on what could be added? I'm really a bit lost when it comes to my options here.

Reef264
02/10/2012, 08:34 PM
There is room for more, A Goby, Or a Jawfish.Quite Honestly...My mind is blank for what to put in there.

Mytola
02/10/2012, 08:39 PM
I've thought about a goby/pistol shrimp combo, but I've heard that the sailfin blenny could be problematic and agressive against any other similarily shaped bottom-dwellers, so I'm a bit reluctant to add something like that.

Stumped
02/10/2012, 09:53 PM
To be honest I think you're pretty well stocked already. I would've said your 21g was overstocked and with a 42g you'd be at a more appropriate stocking level. I mean if you absolutely wanted to add something I would stick with you own suggestion of a goby/pistol combo or perhaps something similar to that.

As you pointed out the blenny might be problem. Some are huge jerks and others are total puppy dogs. There's always a chance they may not react favourably to a new addition like that. Other than that there's nothing else I can suggest. Having a sixline means you can't add any other wrasse in that tank. The pair of clowns will become territorial when they're older and potentially limit anything else I could think of adding if I were forced to.

Mytola
02/10/2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the input. Would a midas blenny perhaps work? Different genus than the sailfin I've already got, and they don't really compete for food or stay in the same areas.