PDA

View Full Version : Is 96watts of t5 HO good enough To keep a BTA

PACHY-FAN
02/11/2012, 12:22 PM
The t5 HO fixture is 19 inches from the sand bed. Can I keep a BTA. I know it will move around till it finds its happy spot.
Your response is greatly appreciated.
Thanx.

Toddrtrex
02/11/2012, 12:38 PM
How big is the tank?
Does the fixture have individual reflectors?
What bulbs? (( brand and color temp/name ))

atreis
02/12/2012, 07:14 AM
Possibly, if the fixture has good quality reflectors and you change your bulbs regularly.

I keep an LTA and BTA under a 4-bulb ATI fixture on a 17" deep tank. Both are quite happy and have been there for about a year and a half.

syrinx
02/12/2012, 12:11 PM
They used to live well under normal output flo bulbs back in the day, if you had 4 or 5 bulbs! I see no problem with trying a BTA- it will climb the rocks to find a spot it is happy with. If it is too dim for the particular animal you choose- it will wander.

Toddrtrex
02/12/2012, 12:20 PM
Really need to know the size of the tank -- saying it will work or not work without that information is a pure guess.

Tbonekilla
02/12/2012, 01:00 PM
I have a 96w 30" T5 HO 4 bulb light on a 29 gallon and the BTA stays at the bottom where I first put it.

syrinx
02/12/2012, 01:12 PM
Really need to know the size of the tank -- saying it will work or not work without that information is a pure guess.

With a BTA that can regulate its distance from the light tank depth is less important. A 10,000 gallon tank with his light fixture would be fine if the anemone was below it. I do agree with you totally though in the concept for sand dwelling anemones, or animals not capable of movement to where conditions suit them.

Tbonekilla
02/12/2012, 01:19 PM
I'm sorry. My light is 24". My tank is 30" long.

Toddrtrex
02/12/2012, 01:19 PM
You are assuming that the rock work would be that high --- why make a judgement without all the facts??

syrinx
02/12/2012, 01:33 PM
Your splitting hairs todd- why did you ask tank size, without asking if he had any rocks in it? Because in all the reef tanks we have seen- there is commonly a rock or more that is half the height of the tank. And of course BTAs also are very able to climb the glass if need be. I agree more info is always better, but seriously.

Toddrtrex
02/12/2012, 01:41 PM
Yeah, it is a real shame that I would like all the necessary information before making a comment on if it would work or not -- sorry that that is bothering you so.

E. quadricolors prefer their foot in the rocks (( ideally in a crevice )), having one on the glass shows that something is off.

syrinx
02/12/2012, 01:44 PM
I'm sorry. My light is 24". My tank is 30" long.

Yes we know the size of the fixture by its 4x24watt nature, and we know the depth by your earlier statment. But what about the rock- do you have any in the tank? If it is a BTA its unusual for it to be in the sand- but perhaps it is adjusting.

syrinx
02/12/2012, 01:47 PM
Yeah, it is a real shame that I would like all the necessary information before making a comment on if it would work or not -- sorry that that is bothering you so.

E. quadricolors prefer their foot in the rocks (( ideally in a crevice )), having one on the glass shows that something is off.

Doesnt bother me at all- I like you! Your just in a weak position in this case. But you are correct the most information is always the best.

atreis
02/12/2012, 04:29 PM

He already stated in the original post the tank is 19" deep. The other dimensions, in terms of lighting, don't really matter. The anemone can move to be centered under the lights, if needed.

Toddrtrex
02/12/2012, 08:38 PM
He already stated in the original post the tank is 19" deep. The other dimensions, in terms of lighting, don't really matter. The anemone can move to be centered under the lights, if needed.

If you say so, and we all know that if you move an anemone to the ideal lighting spot, that will be the ideal spot for all its other requirements.

atreis
02/13/2012, 05:16 PM
If you say so, and we all know that if you move an anemone to the ideal lighting spot, that will be the ideal spot for all its other requirements.

I did not, and would not ever, suggest that someone move an anemone after it's been put into a system. The animal will move itself.

Tbonekilla
02/13/2012, 06:00 PM
Yes we know the size of the fixture by its 4x24watt nature, and we know the depth by your earlier statment. But what about the rock- do you have any in the tank? If it is a BTA its unusual for it to be in the sand- but perhaps it is adjusting.

There is 40 pounds of live rock. The anemone came from the LFS on a small rock. I placed the rock on the sand bed. It's been there ever since. Must be a good spot.

syrinx
02/14/2012, 12:30 AM
So if it wanted to it could get within say 10 inches of the waters surface? Thats usually about the average stack- I would think your lighting is sufficient. I would expect the anemone to climb higher eventually.