PDA

View Full Version : Red Flame Hawkfish

Vince272992
02/11/2012, 03:37 PM
im looking to get a Flame Hawkfish in my reef tank and know they are reef safe but, i heard that they will make shrimp, crabs, and even small fish lunch. So my Q is should i add one because i will have all of those, and im getting a lot of weird opinions on this fish so please HELP.:furious:

rjcranor
02/11/2012, 09:17 PM
I would say it would eat your shrimp and smaller fish. If it can fit in its mouth its lunch.

Dr Colliebreath
02/12/2012, 08:07 AM
Hawkfish are nice additions to a tank, but they do have that drawback of eating ornamental shrimp. You have a choice - the hawk or the shrimp. Depending on how small and how much rockwork is available, small fish may may be ok.

DEERE G
02/12/2012, 08:20 AM
I used to have shrimp until I added a Flame Hawk. I still have the Flame hawk though.

snorvich
02/12/2012, 09:33 AM
I used to have shrimp until I added a Flame Hawk. I still have the Flame hawk though.

Subtle but true. Great fish, very personable, very pretty. I doubt that the previously resident shrimp feel that way, however.

Vince272992
02/12/2012, 11:38 AM
ok thanks do you know if they are peaceful with other fish that are some what bigger then them or will they be a aggressive fish.

salt4life8
02/12/2012, 11:57 AM
Overall the flame hawks are not aggressive, they mind their own business, swimming and perching on rockwork. As long as they have enough space in the tank, they wont bother anyone and can hold their own. I have kept hawks with coral banded shrimp, they don't seem to bother them because they are a little more aggressive than your average shrimp. Gotta keep them well fed

MrTuskfish
02/12/2012, 12:18 PM
im looking to get a Flame Hawkfish in my reef tank and know they are reef safe but, i heard that they will make shrimp, crabs, and even small fish lunch. So my Q is should i add one because i will have all of those, and im getting a lot of weird opinions on this fish so please HELP.:furious:

You heard right.

snorvich
02/12/2012, 12:22 PM
Overall the flame hawks are not aggressive, they mind their own business, swimming and perching on rockwork.

Exactly. They also quickly figure out who is the food god and watch carefully if there is a chance that food is going to drop from the heavens. But, and I cannot stress this enough, they are also very wary if they think you are trying to catch them.

rivahodges
02/16/2012, 04:42 PM
Mine will sit inches from the auto feeder waiting for food from the heavens. It's kind of sad though.