PDA

View Full Version : Apex as a DIY led control

Meslo
02/12/2012, 09:09 AM
I currently have a RKL with the alc controller running 2 meanwell 48d drivers
and for me it seems to really lack any control.

I want to add a control for my led's over my big tank I am putting together and also a reef controller but DO NOT want to move my RKL over there or get a RKE I am not happy with it at all.

the led's will have 6 menwell 48d's 4 non white 2 white. I just want to know how well the apex will control the leds. Do I need to add anything to it like I would have to to get the rkl alc to run 6 drivers.

I am sure all of the other regular tank stuff will work as well or better than the reef keeper stuff.

anyone know how the reef angle would work with the leds ?

tkeracer619
02/12/2012, 09:52 AM
Reef Angel will control 2 channels with d drivers if you get the PWM-to-Analog Lead Wires in their store.

To get that many channels you would need to get the expansion module and 2 more sets of PWM-to-Analog Lead Wires.

The 48P drivers would be a better choice for the ReefAngel. You would still need to get the expansion module to control that many channels but you wouldn't need the conversion wires.

Mark Bianco
02/12/2012, 10:39 AM
The Apex not the Lite or the JR has 4 built in 0 - 10vdc ports / channels built in. Each port will handle 5 to 6 eln 60- 48d drivers so there is a possibilty of 24 drivers on one Apex. In your case you could have either the blues on one channel and the white on another, or 2 blues on one channel 2 whites on another channel and the last set of blues on a third channel and still have room for controllable power heads! More Toys...

Meslo
02/12/2012, 01:40 PM
sweet thats just what I wanted to know

Thank you very much now I hope my RKL sells for enough to pay for the apex :)

cbellm
02/12/2012, 08:31 PM
hope the APEX works out for you I have had mine for 2 weeks now. Its great!

Garage1217
02/12/2012, 11:57 PM
Have had mine controlling 10 meanwell ELN 60-48D drivers since August of last year. Works awesome day in and day out.

Mark Bianco
02/13/2012, 05:40 AM
" I hope my RKL sells for enough to pay for the apex "

Lots of luck with that one my friend!

Meslo
02/13/2012, 06:47 AM
Well I have 2 and several extra moduals

ok I hope to cover 1/2 the cost :) lol

Panda
02/13/2012, 12:45 PM
+1 on a Reef Angel (http://www.reefangel.com/)

I've got one setup on my 40g and it's made life super easy.
Out of the box, it offers, what I feel is much more flexibility than any other controller on the market...and for much less of a strain on your wallet. The customer support and user support is outstanding. I don't think I've ever gone more than an hour or so waiting for a question to be answered.

I'd definitely give them a look. With the controller, which comes with the head unit, relay box (8 controllable outlets w/2 PWM ports), one temp probe, ph probe, and two float switches, you're only at $230 or so, the tack on another $89 bucks to add another 6 PWM channels that you can control, well anything that will accept a PWM input signal. You'd still be way under what a base unit Apex would cost.

Mark Bianco
02/13/2012, 03:41 PM
" Well I have 2 and several extra moduals."

You probably need all that just to keep the basics running sometimes. Sorry RKL owners just could not resist. Just kidding.

Mark

USC-fan
02/13/2012, 03:44 PM
PM how much you want for the RKL. I just need the basic set up. temp probe / 4 plug ...The ones that sells for $119 new.

Justdrew
02/13/2012, 03:57 PM
My Apex arrives today! Planning for controllable LED's.