PDA

View Full Version : Should I add a phosphate reactor??

Putty
02/13/2012, 10:26 AM
I have a lot of coral. I dose Essential elements and CoralVite every week...plus calcium.
I have never tested my phosphate, but was told it would not hurt to add one.

Thoughts? Thinking of getting the TLF 150.

Playa-1
02/13/2012, 10:58 AM
If you have a phosphate problem then a GFO media and a reactor can help with that. If you don't have a phosphate problem then I wouldn't use it.

BassMekanik
02/13/2012, 11:04 AM
I just had this same discussion with my LFS. There are many things you can do to reduce phosphates without spending your hard earned money. Everytime you do a water change use a powerhead to blow all the junk out of your liverock and stir up the sand. This will bring allow you to remove alot of waste when doing a water change. Also change your filter sock and clean out your skimmer everyday.

If after this you still feel you have a phosphate problem, then buy a phosphate checker and see where its at.

:)

uncleof6
02/13/2012, 11:56 AM
Would not buy a piece of equipment to handle a problem, that may or may not exist, and for which there are other means to deal with. Invest in a quality phosphate test kit (and no they are not created equal) before you fix something that probably is not broken.

sporto0
02/13/2012, 12:36 PM
What makes you think you have a phosphate problem? Do you have a bad hair algae breakout or never ending Cyano Bacteria? Have your corals been acting differently i.e. not opening or losing color?

izzy123
02/13/2012, 12:55 PM
If it aint broken, don't fix it!!.......

That's the best piece of advice I got once from an old reefer.......

He spoke the truth

Hope this helps

Putty
02/13/2012, 01:02 PM
What makes you think you have a phosphate problem? Do you have a bad hair algae breakout or never ending Cyano Bacteria? Have your corals been acting differently i.e. not opening or losing color?

Nothing indicates I have a problem. Was just suggested that it should be a part of my system....I guess to prevent a problem. I guess what I am asking here is this. If I do not currently have a problem, spend $60...won't that always prevent me from having that problem? I have a pretty well stocked tank now and I want to be proactive when it comes to things.

sporto0
02/13/2012, 01:08 PM
Well I don't want to be hypocritical, I run a phosphate reactor on my tank with a very small bio-load upon it, but I have battled a bad nuisance algae problem in the past & that is when I purchased it, so if it will give you peace of mind the money spent is not even a concern. I would suggest a Hannah Phosphate Checker first, that way you will have a very good idea of your levels, keep in mind some phosphates in the system are used by your corals as well so a rapid depletion of them could cause other issues. Sorry, nothing is ever a straight forward yes or no in this hobby.

Putty
02/13/2012, 01:13 PM
keep in mind some phosphates in the system are used by your corals as well so a rapid depletion of them could cause other issues. Sorry, nothing is ever a straight forward yes or no in this hobby.

Agh!! I should have known. I'm leaving the system as is. Thanks!!

lchaleff
03/27/2012, 06:31 AM
Would not buy a piece of equipment to handle a problem, that may or may not exist, and for which there are other means to deal with. Invest in a quality phosphate test kit (and no they are not created equal) before you fix something that probably is not broken.

So can you tell me which phospate test kit you prefer?

Putty
03/27/2012, 07:06 AM
I bought two phosban 150 reactors and use one for phosphate and one for ROX carbon.

Sk8r
03/27/2012, 12:42 PM
If you have green algae, you have some phosphate and a test probably won't show it.
If you have no green algae, but a phosphate test shows phosphate, you have phosphate. In either case a phosphate reactor would remove it over several months, but if you WANT some green algae, for a blenny, say, it could starve your fish. It's all in how-much, how important, etc.

I also suggest test kits for every element you're pouring into your tank weekly. If your corals aren't 'eating' all of what you pour in, you could have be accumulating a massive amount of a particular element, and some of the traces are not good in massive doses. I have a great deal of lps growth with JUST kalk, no other dosing except magnesium. Traces already come in your salt mix. Your water changes are to renew those.

uncleof6
03/27/2012, 12:49 PM
So can you tell me which phospate test kit you prefer?

I use two LaMotte and Hach. Not for the faint of heart in the dollar department. ;) I am not "rich," however with some things, I want to be able to trust the results. Been using LaMotte since the early 80's. I save in the refill dept, not because they do not expire, but because i don't routinely test for things that many others do, but then I test for some things that others don't.