PDA

View Full Version : 28g nano cube salt tank help

Staypuft950
02/13/2012, 11:46 AM
Hello all!

I am no means new to the hobby however it has been a few years since my last new tank setup. I bought a 28g nano cube that I set up Friday night. I used distilled water (I've always used r/o, this is my first trial with distilled since it is all I had available). I mixed in my salt to the appropriate level and let it settle. The water was nice and clear at this point all my media was pre rinsed and in the sump. Saturday morning I added 2 20# bags of live sand. I'm thinking this is possibly where I went wrong as in the past I didn't use a DSB. I allowed the sand to settle then turned on the pumps. I let it run until Sunday where it was still complely cloudy. I bought microbe-lift special blend and added 60ml per the instructions and left my compacts turned off. This morning I checked the tank and I see no improvement. I am bringing 3 gallons of r/o water home today to do a small water change. Any suggestions or insight would be immensely appreciated!

Staypuft950
02/13/2012, 03:04 PM
Sorry for the shameless bump but I really need some advice :uhoh3:

bnumair
02/13/2012, 03:43 PM
if i got ur question right, r u worried about ur water being cloudy? if yes then its just the sand and unrinsed stuff floating around in ur tank. r u using any kinda filter sock or such filter? if not then use a filter sock and let it trap most of ur cloudiness.

Staypuft950
02/13/2012, 03:48 PM
When I say cloudy I mean really cloudy as in you cannot see even 1 inch inside the tank. I'm using carbon, bio media and sponges. I was thinking of picking up a micron filter today.

bnumair
02/13/2012, 05:10 PM
cloudiness is very normal after putting new sand in a running tank. it will take few days to really settle. i wouldnt worry much just add a filter sock and let it run for 3 days or so u will see it clean up on its own.

Staypuft950
02/13/2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it would be ready sooner since my 5 gallon eclipse bit it and my clown fish of almost 4 years is only being kept going right now by an emergency air pump. Hopefully it clears up soon

saltysailor2329
02/13/2012, 08:35 PM
I would agree that it is the sand. When I loaded 60lbs to my 40g it took 3 days to clear up. Run a filter sock and clean it every few hours and you should have clear water in no time.

saltysailor2329
02/13/2012, 08:35 PM
Sorry double post

Staypuft950
02/14/2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the replies! I cut up some micron filter and put it into my media basket and I already see an improvement this morning! :fun2: to me it seems the default media the 28g nano comes with is not enough. Can anyone also recommend a protein skimmer that would fit my tank? Thanks

Sugar Magnolia
02/14/2012, 09:05 AM
JBJ makes a protien skimmer for their nano cubes, or you could put a skimmer in/on your sump if you have room. How big is the sump?