PDA

View Full Version : Carpet nem upside down?

mpongrac
02/13/2012, 11:50 AM
Turned the lights on this morning, and my nem was upside down. should I just give it time to turn back over on its own? thanks

eferna
02/13/2012, 11:59 AM
leave them, they will return when ready

mpongrac
02/13/2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks, I guess I'm just worried because the top of it isn't getting any light this way. but maybe once it realizes the light are on, it will better position itself?

bradleym
02/13/2012, 12:37 PM
I got one recently that did the same thing. I rolled it over a couple times and it went right back until I blocked part of the light, then it stayed upright and eventually attached. So in my case, I think it was actually trying to avoid the light until it adapted to it.

mpongrac
02/13/2012, 12:42 PM
Well that's good to hear that others did the same thing and made it okay.

jynxtrix
02/14/2012, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't panic, I "propagated" mine with a butcher knife about 2 months ago. One side did fine, the other side, not so much. Funny thing when you start paying attention to their behavior. The Smaller one that wasn't doing so well would just lay around limp all the time, and it's tentacles weren't really sticky unless you irritated it, and then it was only sticky long enough to sting whatever was harassing it (me trying to feed it), then it would let it go. It would attach itself to a rock for a day or so, then let go and tumble around my tank like a tumble weed, I was very worried it was going to die, so I put it in one of my breeder nets and moved it to the top of the tank. As I began to pay more and more attention to it, I finally realized what it was doing. It would flip upside down in the net, and eat stuff off the bottom, then flip itself back over. After a day or so, it would excrete the leftovers. So I turned it loose in my tank again and watched it do the same thing for another week or so. That's just how it was going about feeding. Obviously I doubt this was a natural behavior, but then again, neither is forced propagation. I have too many corals in my tank now to let it roam around like that though, so now I keep in the breeder net at the top of my tank. I'm only running t-5's, so it doesn't seem to mind the lighting. I feed it mysis shrimp from a large syringe directly on top of the mouth opening, it acts irritated, fluffs up, closes on the shrimp, and make a little mucus ball out of it that it very slowly eats. After a day or so, it spits up the remains, I wait another couple of days or so, then repeat the process. We've been doing this successfully for about 2 weeks now with no problems yet, and I suspect that in another week or so, I should be able to take it out of the breeder net. I have also been toying with the idea of purchasing some supplements to help boost the zooxanthellae in the hopes that this might give my little nem some more pep. Anyway, that's just my experience so far, but just a word to the wise, until you figure out what is wrong and get a handle on it, I'd be careful and keep a close eye on that nem. I've yet to have one die on me, but from everything I've read, if it does, it can turn a tank toxic in a matter of hours. If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll gladly try to help.

Toddrtrex
02/14/2012, 12:31 PM
It is not normal for any "carpet" -- do you know what species, there are 3 different ones that are referred to as that -- to be upside down, and that isn't a good sign.

What size tank?
What lights?
What are your water parameters -- with numbers please
How long have you had it?
How long has the tank been set up?
Do you have a picture, or know what type of "carpet" it is?

BTW -- none of the hosting "carpets" split naturally, it is not a good idea to forcibly cut them; have yet to see any real proof of success.

D-Nak
02/14/2012, 12:50 PM
Also, what type of substrate do you have?

I have also been toying with the idea of purchasing some supplements to help boost the zooxanthellae in the hopes that this might give my little nem some more pep.

Not to steer this thread off course, but what supplements are you considering?

jynxtrix
02/14/2012, 04:43 PM
it is not a good idea to forcibly cut them; have yet to see any real proof of success.

Opinion, speculation, objection over ruled, if you would like I can show you pictures of at least half a dozen specimens that have been forcibly propagated. That are alive, well, happy, healthy fully formed and most importantly, making a happy home in domestic aquariums without harvesting 5 other from the ocean. Disliking a practice alone is not grounds for claiming it's not a good idea. One could just as easily claim that pulling them out of the ocean isn't a good idea because they die, but what specimen doesn't die when poorly cared for?

That being said, the only reason mine has issues is because I missed my mark.

Also, what type of substrate do you have?

Not to steer this thread off course, but what supplements are you considering?

Either Coral gro

http://************.com/2010/05/27/coral-gro-red-sea-supplement-coral-zooxanthellae/

or I believe kent marine makes something similar. But basically, if it's brightening colors, it's encouraging photosynthesis, therefore logically (In my mind anyway) helping out my possible zooxanthellae problem. I'm not saying I'm dead on here, but from what I've read, it seems like a possible solution, that my coral at least would be thrilled to try.

Caribsea super naturals "moonlight white" is what I believe think my substrate was called. Finest sand I could find, since I eventually plan on getting a couple of dragonettes.

taylor t
02/14/2012, 05:49 PM
if you would like I can show you pictures of at least half a dozen specimens that have been forcibly propagated. That are alive, well, happy, healthy fully formed and most importantly, making a happy home in domestic aquariums without harvesting 5 other from the ocean.

I would like to see before and after pics, and many months after too.

Toddrtrex
02/14/2012, 05:59 PM
Opinion, speculation, objection over ruled, if you would like I can show you pictures of at least half a dozen specimens that have been forcibly propagated. That are alive, well, happy, healthy fully formed and most importantly, making a happy home in domestic aquariums without harvesting 5 other from the ocean. Disliking a practice alone is not grounds for claiming it's not a good idea. One could just as easily claim that pulling them out of the ocean isn't a good idea because they die, but what specimen doesn't die when poorly cared for?

That being said, the only reason mine has issues is because I missed my mark.

It was not an opinion that I have yet to see this successfully done, I haven't. This isn't the first time (( do a search )) that someone has claimed to have cut "carpets" (( would hope that you would at least know which species you are claiming success with )), and hasn't provided any proof.

Saying they are still alive after 2 weeks is meaningless -- at least 12 months would be needed to claim any success.

Also, my statement that they don't naturally split (( that applies to S. haddoni, S. gigantea and S. mertensii )) is correct, and not an opinion.

If someone shows some actually long term proof of this being successful (( even a so-called expert and author has made this claim, but can't provide any proof )), I will be all for it -- but I am not going to hold my breath that I am going to see it.

EDIT --- and looking at your profile you claim less then a year of experience in this hobby, so I don't see how you can have long term proof.

jynxtrix
02/15/2012, 12:28 AM
It was not an opinion that I have yet to see this successfully done, I haven't. This isn't the first time (( do a search )) that someone has claimed to have cut "carpets" (( would hope that you would at least know which species you are claiming success with )), and hasn't provided any proof.

Saying they are still alive after 2 weeks is meaningless -- at least 12 months would be needed to claim any success.

Also, my statement that they don't naturally split (( that applies to S. haddoni, S. gigantea and S. mertensii )) is correct, and not an opinion.

If someone shows some actually long term proof of this being successful (( even a so-called expert and author has made this claim, but can't provide any proof )), I will be all for it -- but I am not going to hold my breath that I am going to see it.

EDIT --- and looking at your profile you claim less then a year of experience in this hobby, so I don't see how you can have long term proof.

Maybe you should re-read my post there chap. I quoted your statement that "it is not a good idea to forcibly cut them; have yet to see any real proof of success".
1st, that's YOUR opinion. believe it or not, not everyone in the marine aquaculture hobby agrees with you, therefore it is only YOUR opinion.
2nd, even if you had seen any real proof, it's not like you would know it. It's not like everyone who propagates their nems posts a sign next to it that says so, and I doubt you ask.

Now, pressing on, Though I claim less than a year, I picked up the hobby from my mother (unfortunately deceased) who was keeping anemone's AND forcibly propagating them long before nem's were considered a reasonable domestic aquarium inhabitant or even forums for individuals to bicker about it for that matter. I may be a greenhorn, but I've been watching for a VERY long time.

the only pics I have are of mine, seeing as how it wasn't particularly common back in the day to take a billion pictures of tanks and post them online.

Now, if you would like to continue to argue, and or bicker about this, please feel free, as all I came to do was give a little insight to someone who asked for it, as to what MY personal experiences were, and what was working just fine for me (that is the purpose for this forum is it not?). So I suppose at this point I must say, have a good night, and feel free to check back on the forum in about 10 months for those 12 month pictures of my personal nems. As for the other nems I was talking about, sorry, but I got scolded for even logging on to one these forums because of attitudes exactly like the one you just displayed. I wouldn't wanna quote the other nem's owner wrong, but it was something along the lines of "if I wanna learn something real, buy a book by someone who knows what they're talking about, and quit reading opinions written by people as stupid as you are (again, he was referencing me for joining a forum, I am not by any means calling you stupid).

Just a random note, they taste fantastic fried with in a little sesame oil with a pinch of garlic and soy (personal opinion). Not mine of course, I like mine too much for that, but nem's in general. I believe it's called "ortiguilla"

And for the record, mine is a haddonis.

Toddrtrex
02/15/2012, 12:36 AM
Wow, another long winded post with zero proof, and an insulting one at that. (( saying that you aren't calling me stupid, even when you did, isn't the best way to get your point across, and does go against the [ua] that you agreed to when you joined this site )).

For anyone else reading this, please do not attempt this -- S. haddoni do not naturally split, and there still isn't any long term proof of success doing this.
Here is a one of many threads on this subject, with the same outcome -- one person will make a claim, and not have any real proof.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1973540&highlight=cutting+carpet

jynxtrix
02/15/2012, 08:00 AM
Wow, another long winded post with zero proof, and an insulting one at that. (( saying that you aren't calling me stupid, even when you did, isn't the best way to get your point across, and does go against the <a href="http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/user-agreement">User Agreement</a> that you agreed to when you joined this site )).

For anyone else reading this, please do not attempt this -- S. haddoni do not naturally split, and there still isn't any long term proof of success doing this.
Here is a one of many threads on this subject, with the same outcome -- one person will make a claim, and not have any real proof.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1973540&highlight=cutting+carpet

Wow, you just like to argue to get the last word don't you? are you a ginger? my ex-wife liked to do that all the time. She was a ginger.

bradleym
02/15/2012, 08:12 AM
Girls! Girls! You're both pretty!! Does anyone care how OP's nem is doing?

Jynxtrix, if you have photo proof of long term success, please share it in another thread. I'm sure Toddrtrex will be glad to come argue there as well. But since you are new here, please know that you are touching on a sensitive topic and people by the hundreds have said everything you've said already. But they never give credible proof. So until you take pictures (of every step, showing the nems body, then the cut side of each piece, then several pictures showing the cuts as they heal, etc...) noone will listen because they've heard it before.

jynxtrix
02/15/2012, 08:53 AM
Girls! Girls! You're both pretty!! Does anyone care how OP's nem is doing?

Jynxtrix, if you have photo proof of long term success, please share it in another thread. I'm sure Toddrtrex will be glad to come argue there as well. But since you are new here, please know that you are touching on a sensitive topic and people by the hundreds have said everything you've said already. But they never give credible proof. So until you take pictures (of every step, showing the nems body, then the cut side of each piece, then several pictures showing the cuts as they heal, etc...) noone will listen because they've heard it before.

Lol, awesome interjection of Humor. And yes, I do care about his nem, lol. I actually checked the forum this morning before work to see how it was doing, but then was distracted by another post, and spent the entire drive to work feeling guilty because I forgot to ask.
Next time I propagate, I'll take pics and do all that fun stuff, but my nem's are still healing, so it'll be a while, thanks for the advice though. I didn't realize until this thread just how controversial the subject was, and it's been a long time since I've done a write up on anything anyways.

mpongrac, I have contributed enough to the derailing of your thread, and I apologize for that. So pleeeeeeaase come back and tell us how your nem is doing? color, "fluffiness", has it anchored yet? or at least flipped back over? Don't leave us in the dark (we might flip upside down, lol)!

taylor t
02/15/2012, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=jynxtrix;19879714] if you would like I can show you pictures of at least half a dozen specimens QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jynxtrix;19881615]the only pics I have are of mine, seeing as how it wasn't particularly common back in the day to take a billion pictures of tanks and post them online.

QUOTE]

Don't need "atleast a half dozen" , just one. Before, after, many months progress. Just one.
:deadhorse:

OP - My experience with flipping upside down carpets was eventual death. Sorry. When I left them, the part in the sand falls apart, and I didn't see it until I tried to flip it, did I see it was "melting". As others have said, it is possible it will recover, but I never had one recover that way before. JME. Good luck.

D-Nak
02/15/2012, 12:23 PM
Next time I propagate, I'll take pics and do all that fun stuff, but my nem's are still healing, so it'll be a while, thanks for the advice though.

Sorry to keep derailing this thread, but if you can take photos of your healing nems, then at least we can ID them.

To the OP -- all of the nems that I've had that flipped over figured out on their own how to right themselves up -- it has to do with buoyancy and the nem's ability to inflate with the right amount of water to be able to float/coast around the tank. Sounds like the nem is definitely sick since it can't inflate enough to keep itself upright.

BonsaiNut
02/15/2012, 03:12 PM
Opinion, speculation, objection over ruled, if you would like I can show you pictures of at least half a dozen specimens that have been forcibly propagated. That are alive, well, happy, healthy fully formed and most importantly, making a happy home in domestic aquariums without harvesting 5 other from the ocean. Disliking a practice alone is not grounds for claiming it's not a good idea.

I would like to see this, since you offered. You have to understand that no one who has ever claimed to do what you are claiming has ever shared any evidence. They just say they have done it, and then disappear. Numerous people have tried, and as far as I know, the failure rate for those who are willing to admit it is 100%. There is no market for propagated S. haddonis - if it were as easy as you are suggesting, I would assume that there would be haddonis for sale all over the place. But I HOPE you have been successful and that perhaps you are doing something different from all the others. So share your methods and successes, and hopefully it will open new doors for the rest of us!

jynxtrix
02/15/2012, 03:40 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19884165#post19884165

There, now can we please stop jacking this poor guys thread folks?

jynxtrix
02/15/2012, 03:41 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19884165#post19884165

There, now can we please stop jacking this poor guys thread folks?