PDA

View Full Version : Time it takes to color up?

APBonds
02/13/2012, 02:34 PM
I'm new to keeping sps, and was woundering on average how long it takes for a strawberry shortcake to turn from brown back to red. Its green tenticals are out and it looks fine other than brown. I have a blue stag that only took a week to color back up. Its been a month for the shortcake.

60 cree leds
near top of tank
good flow
Na 0
Po 0
alk 11
cal 475
mag 1400

karsseboom
02/13/2012, 03:08 PM
All depends on your tank conditions. There is no definite answer, it could take a few weeks could take a year you never know.

MammothReefer
02/13/2012, 03:21 PM
Ya, even if you have the same conditions I've found some pieces colour up faster then others, and the reverse! I've had some pieces close to a year before they started to colour up and others just a couple weeks...and unfortunately some not at all.

Reef264
02/13/2012, 03:36 PM
Mammoth said it, there is no real sure time, different pieces color up different.

APBonds
02/13/2012, 06:46 PM
Ok thanks guys, I will just leave it alone and let it do it's thing. One day it will be red again lol.

JohnV8r
02/13/2012, 06:56 PM
If I have a blue/green tort frag that has blue tips and started with a mostly white body that is browning up on the body only, should I leave it where it is or move it to a brighter location to try to slow the browning up?

Acropolooza
02/13/2012, 07:20 PM
Ya, even if you have the same conditions I've found some pieces colour up faster then others, and the reverse! I've had some pieces close to a year before they started to colour up and others just a couple weeks...and unfortunately some not at all.

+1:rolleye1:

29reef
02/13/2012, 09:06 PM
If I have a blue/green tort frag that has blue tips and started with a mostly white body that is browning up on the body only, should I leave it where it is or move it to a brighter location to try to slow the browning up?

Likely its an issue with the water and water movement. Not the light. Maye start a thread with more details so members can help more.