PDA

View Full Version : how many chromis????

j.p. harrington
02/13/2012, 05:29 PM
ok so going to setup another 75 gallon tank is custom 48x24x16h going to be a fairly open aquacape compared to my current one

thinking of only doing blue/green reef chromis in there since i like to seem them school and they are one of the most beautiful fish IMO and there very nice and cheap lol not to add that my girlfriend actually likes them aswell (she always want the non reef safe fish )

so what do yall think about numbers wise

snorvich
02/13/2012, 06:02 PM
One. Or you can wait and you will most likely end up with one in the long run. Sorry, they do that.

j.p. harrington
02/13/2012, 06:10 PM
yea some people say they will fight amongst themselves but i cant find anything in my research

davocean
02/13/2012, 06:16 PM
This is one of the few times I disagree w/ some of the other exp reefers here, as I've had long term success w/ them several times, 6 for 6 years being the longest.
I know others that keep them as well, saw them on Melevs site, and he stated he had the same head count as when he set up his newest tank a year ago, 24 of them in his tank.
Yet many will swear they pick each other off.

Wolverine
02/13/2012, 06:39 PM
Yet many will swear they pick each other off.

Doesn't always happen, but I've seen it happen this way 100s of times; I haven't found any reliable pattern for why they don't do it in some cases, but it is the minority.

dzfish17
02/13/2012, 06:49 PM
I had the same 3 in my old 210g for 2 yrs but in my new tank there are only 2 left of 5 added almost a yr ago.

j.p. harrington
02/13/2012, 07:01 PM
im jw if they get picked on by other fish in some ppls systems i know personally i have had several at one and they where all doing good then all of them were gone in a few days

with that said ive got a coral beauty that is the biggest bully in the world but it also the most beautiful specimen ive ever seen in anyone else's tank or at any fish store ive ever been to (thats the only reason i havnt got rid of it) i will most likely keep it in my 40B fuge just to keep it but i may relocate it

Wolverine
02/13/2012, 07:09 PM
im jw if they get picked on by other fish in some ppls systems

Nope, it's generally the other chromis. I've seen it happen enough times in tanks where the chromis are the only fish in there.

davocean
02/13/2012, 07:11 PM
I have 7 in my 150g right now, have been there over a couple months now, so far no issues(knocking on wood)
This whole thing makes me wish I could tag them or something to prove they are what I started with!LOL
This will be my 4th tank to have them, and the previous 3 had no issues.
I know they are a cheap fish many don't seem to care much about, but the color and life they add to my tank is awesome, especially since they tend to cling w/ my anthias, nice mix of pink/orange and blue/green.

Jmason95
02/14/2012, 12:15 AM
I know they are a cheap fish many don't seem to care much about, but the color and life they add to my tank is awesome, especially since they tend to cling w/ my anthias, nice mix of pink/orange and blue/green.

I couldn't agree more.

I've never had a problem with the groups I've kept.

I wonder if people actually witness them killing each other, or if they just automatically assume that another Chromis caused the death?

To the OP, I say go for it and try to find a group of small ones.

galkito
02/14/2012, 02:23 AM
I have 4 of them in may 120g for about 8 months and they do just fine. No problems at all. :bounce3:

Jeremy Blaze
02/14/2012, 08:06 AM
One. Or you can wait and you will most likely end up with one in the long run. Sorry, they do that.

Thats what I was going to say.

I tried, more than once, putting 25 or more in a 1200 gallon tank, at once, and still end up a year later with one.

Wolverine
02/14/2012, 06:11 PM
I wonder if people actually witness them killing each other, or if they just automatically assume that another Chromis caused the death?

Yes, I have witnessed them kill each other in multiple tanks.

snorvich
02/14/2012, 08:11 PM
Yes, I have witnessed them kill each other in multiple tanks.

Likewise. Fortunately not in my tanks.

dzhuo
02/14/2012, 08:41 PM
I have 7 in my 150g right now, have been there over a couple months now, so far no issues(knocking on wood)

My 14 has been going strong for over a year now:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/dzhuo/150g/DSC_0327.jpg

I do, however, notice they are hiding (in my birdsnest colony) a lot more since I added a pair of blue jaw trigger. A few of them don't even come out to eat which does concern me a lot. If they continue to hide, I might have no choice but to remove them.

showcasec6
02/15/2012, 12:41 AM
My 15 have been doing well. I have only had them for a month now, so I will monitor for this type of behavior. I noticed mine do not school as much as they did when they were in the store. They seem "comfortable" or relaxed. They do school when I startle them or reach into the tank.

humaguy
02/15/2012, 05:52 AM
I put 12 in my 250 and had 1 left about 8 months later....

ifarmer
06/19/2017, 06:56 PM
in my 10 years of keeping saltwater fish. I've added 10 chromis (twice) to my tank and about a month after adding them to the tank I ended up with just one.
So sad, they are supposed to be friendly fish to keep.

Dromon
06/19/2017, 11:44 PM
My 14 has been going strong for over a year now:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/dzhuo/150g/DSC_0327.jpg

I do, however, notice they are hiding (in my birdsnest colony) a lot more since I added a pair of blue jaw trigger. A few of them don't even come out to eat which does concern me a lot. If they continue to hide, I might have no choice but to remove them.

Gorgeous photo! Look at them all! :beer:

carrots
06/20/2017, 03:54 PM
IMO Chromis need at least 4 feeding a day to keep them healthy. I put eight in my tank four years ago and still have six today.