PDA

View Full Version : BRS pumps/apex problems- need help!

bobkill
02/13/2012, 07:53 PM
Hello all I cannot get my 4 bulk reef supply (alk cal mg and top off) pumps to turn on when they are in 'pump' mode / I have them in spots 1-4 on the 8 bar - for example I have cal set up as 0/4:00/356:00 - and it won't turn on - when I go to manual I can turn it 'on' and it could over but if it is in auto it's a no go- idl what I am doing wrong- I can get it to control a candle light threwplig in spot 7 but cannot get it to work -
I have been running them as 'lights' but I would like to break up the time to better spread dosing and top off

RussM
02/13/2012, 08:03 PM
Change the Control Type to Advanced, then copy and paste the program statements shown into a post here.

bobkill
02/13/2012, 08:19 PM
Fallback off
Osc 000:01/005:25/174.25 then on if feedA 000 then off

bobkill
02/13/2012, 08:20 PM
174:25 - not the dot above

swearint
02/14/2012, 09:35 AM
The timing of the OSC command does not restart at ON when you change it to Auto. You have it programmed to come ON for 5 minutes out of every three hours (roughly). It is likely that it is still in the OFF portion of the cycle.

The OSC command is synced from midnight, offset by the first parameter. It cycles OFF > ON> OFF > and back to the first OFF and repeat. So in your code it, would be ON at the following times (ignoring seconds):

00:00 - 00:05
03:00 - 03:05
06:00 - 06:05
etc

Also, be aware that the BRS dosers are low power devices and it is very likely you will have issues when operating them on the Triac outlets (1-3, 5-7). They tend to turn ON fine, but not OFF. It is best to run them on the mechanical relay outlets 4 & 8.

Todd

bobkill
02/14/2012, 08:55 PM
Okay well I changed my 'main' time to right before midnight then watch the code I have above do nothing! So then I changed it to 5 min a head and tryed it on auto and on - auto doesn't work and on just keeps on going way more than 5 min
And like isaid above I can get it to do my sump light with the above code but not my dosers

bobkill
02/14/2012, 09:00 PM
So it has to be the the bulk pump

aquamanic
02/14/2012, 09:22 PM
So what outlets are you running them on and are you saying they're turning on but not off? There's a very real issue with running dosers on anything other than relay outlets - they just won't turn off.

bobkill
02/14/2012, 10:11 PM
I got On to work- its on auto 0/5/355 in spot 3 - turned on right when I turned it from off to auto and stayed on for 5 min now I am just going to check alk Tom and see if I have went up or down - I think the problem has been that I have turned it on the to auto and it waits to turn the pump on (?) bc I just switched this pump from light 'off' to pump then program then auto and it worked -
I have had them on as lights and never had any problems - I am basically only worried about my OT bc I have a Elos rimless and it evpos water like crazy

bobkill
02/14/2012, 10:45 PM
Now after playing more - just witnessed the pump NOt turning off - lol this is turning into a night mare

swearint
02/15/2012, 09:09 AM
Stop. Reread both previous posts from Alan and me. If you are trying to run this dosing pump on any outlet other than 4 or 8 you will not get reliable performance. You stand a very good chance of overdosing or flooding your tank.

Todd

aquamanic
02/15/2012, 10:29 AM
just witnessed the pump NOt turning off - lol this is turning into a night mare

Not a nightmare, rather a well known issue - perhaps the most well documented issue surrounding the controller. Put your dosing pumps on relay outlets. Problem solved.

bobkill
02/15/2012, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys - I am dose alk calc mg and OT - soooo don't really know how to fix all this - the mg not to worried about but not sure how I should run 3 with 2 spots- is there a doser that doesnt have this problems? I could always use a power strip and 'timer' but kind of a kicks some of why I love the apex-

RussM
02/15/2012, 03:34 PM
Options are:
- Buy another EB8
- Buy an EB4. All outlets are relay-controlled so you could put all 4 pumps on an EB4.
- put two pumps on outlets 4 and 8. for each of the two additional pumps, put it on a short extension cord having multiple taps. Along with each pump, plug in a small nightlight (incandescent, not LED). This will increase the power load and power factor enough to operate a TRIAC-switched outlet reliably.

Want2BS8ed
02/15/2012, 03:37 PM
Try an EB4 from Neptune. They are all relayed outlets.

It is what I am using to control my 4 BRS Dosers and has worked well.