PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Water Change Containers

magnetar68
02/13/2012, 10:41 PM
I am thinking about setting up a continuous water change using a LiterMeter III and the Water Exchange Module pump. While expensive (~$525 USD), it seems very straight forward. My plan is to keep my existing float valve driven RO/DI top off in the sump and just tack on an AceRoto plastic container with the LiterMeter III setup (as specified on page 16 of their manual (http://www.spectrapure.com/manuals/PRINTER_FRIENDLY/LiterMeter3J-PF.pdf)).

I have a 125G reef system. I was thinking about continously changing 30% per month (1.25 gallons per day). I read Randy's article and I realize this is equivalent to a ~25% water change. With an Ace Roto 65 gallon (VT0065-23) container in my garage, I think I could store 60 gallons of saltwater. This would mean I would only need to make a new 60 gallon batch very 48 days (about 8 batches per year). I have no idea if this is reasonable, so here are a few questions:

1) Is it OK for the saltwater to just sit there? If I calculated this correctly, then this pump is adding about 16.66ml every 10 minutes. I assume the low pH of the stagnant water is fine, since this is only 1.25 gallons per day and only ~32ml per dose. Realistically, how long could this sit? Perhaps I could go larger and let it sit longer?

2) Are these containers air tight enough so that the salinity won't change over time? Does it need a small hole so there is no vacuum when the pump draws water out?

3) Any issues in the garage? most of the year it is between 40F and 65F, but it can get into the low 30s (although rarely freezes and the tank will be next to a wall that is heated on the other side) and can get into the low 100s from time to time. Again, I understand this is about the tank being able to heatup or radiate the extra energy at the proper rate. I could bring it into the fish closet, but the garage would be much better logistically.

While I could obviously keep an airstone and heater in the container, I would rather not use the electricity if it is not required.

magnetar68
02/14/2012, 01:24 PM
I posted this here thinking these are really chemistry issues. Anyone have any ideas?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/14/2012, 02:54 PM
I do semicontinuous water changes (~1% daily spread over a few hours each day and night) from 88 gallons of new salt water (IO) stored unstirred and unaerated and unheated in two 44 gallon Brute trash cans plumbed together. It sits for weeks just fine. :)

If there are organics in your salt water, I'd keep it stirred.

Cold is no concern as long as it doesn't freeze.

magnetar68
02/14/2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks, Randy. I use the ESV 4 part, so it's all inorganic stuff. I might to bigger -- the fewer times I need to make salwater, the better.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/15/2012, 05:29 AM
Sounds good.

Happy reefing. :)