PDA

View Full Version : Green algae on tank glass

Will25U
02/14/2012, 11:39 AM
I've been out of the hobby for a few months now due to a job relocation and I'm setting up my tank again. I'll be using the saltwater from a LFS because I'm NOT doing tap and dealing with any algae issues like last time. My old tank is covered in coralline (not the problem) and also has dried green algae all over the glass. As I remember it, it was this dusty green algae that got everywhere. Will this die off or do I need to disinfect the tank? It's a 75G beast so getting it upstairs to the bathroom isn't an easy task. If the algae will die off that's a positive, but I really don't want to risk it coming back. My last method of cheaping out and using tap really kicked me in the rear end. What's the best, surefire method of disinfecting/making sure this doesn't return?

Thanks everyone.

asim58
02/14/2012, 11:46 AM
Are you trying to get all of the coralline and green algae completely off before putting water in there? I'd recommend using white distilled vinegar and spraying down the inside of the tank several times and gently scrubbing off the algae.

Will25U
02/17/2012, 12:03 PM
I just don't want the green algae that is dried to the walls to come back after I start up the tank again. I will just clean the tank really well. Thanks.