PDA

View Full Version : alk will not go up

joemelo
02/14/2012, 07:20 PM
I've been using lime water as top off for close to a month now. I started with a recommended dose of 1/2 tsp per gallon. Randy said not to go above 2 tsp per gallon of top off. Which I am at now. I use it with my reef filler. I go through about 2.5 gallons per day top off on my 320 gallon system.

I use red sea coral pro salt. 10% wc weekly. Mixed at 1.026 it claims to have a dkh of 12. I don't see anything past 7.4. I usually am at 6.8

My calcium is steady at 420, mag is steady at 1250 and ph is 8.4 day and 8.2 with a Milwaukee monitor (new probe new calibration)

These numbers are steady over 2 weeks atleast

Will I have to look for an alternative to alk? Can I still dose limewater in topoff for ph and calcium.

All these numbers are the same double tested twice a week with red sea foundation kit and salifert kits.

Corals appear normal and happy.

Thanks in advance.

JMLewis
02/15/2012, 02:01 AM
I don't dose kalk so I can't comment on that but I know personally that I couldn't get my Alk up until I got my magnesium above 1350. Not saying that's your total problem but 1250 mag is definately to low as a starter.

bertoni
02/15/2012, 02:40 AM
Oops, meant to post this link:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

That calculator will help with a dosing amount. It requires a guess as to the actual volume of water in the system, so it's best to start with a small dose.

bertoni
02/15/2012, 02:40 AM
Well, I ran with tanks at around 1150 ppm magnesium for years because that's the way that IO came. 1250 ppm should be fine. Natural ocean water runs about 1280 ppm, for the canonical average.

As long as the animals are doing well, I would tread softly. I'm not sure why the salt is so low in alkalinity, but with two kits agreeing, I guess you got a bad batch.

Limewater will add both calcium and alkalinity at the ratio at which corals consume it. You could try that first, although I think it's easiest and safest with a very slow pump, like a peristaltic model. In the short term, baking soda is the safest way to dose alkalinity.

joemelo
02/15/2012, 05:10 AM
I knew my mag wasn't a probkem, especially since one of the last totm was lower than mine.

I'm pretty much at my max dose of Kalk in topoff. randy said 2tsp per gallon is as much that will dissolve.

How does the baking soda work? Do you drip that with top off or by itself in a slurry?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/15/2012, 06:08 AM
If limewater is not maintaining alkalinity, then I'd look to use a two part (perhaps DIY using baking soda) in addition to it. The calcium is also likely being under supplemented, but it is very slow to show up. Alk is the bellweather for underdosing (or overdosing).

Dissolve baking soda in fresh water and add to a high flow area. Dripping isn't essential.

TULSATYE
02/15/2012, 12:44 PM
I use to have the same problem, now I add about 2 tbsp of Seachem Reef Buffer to my top off water and my alk stays around 9.5-10!

TULSATYE
02/15/2012, 12:45 PM
I meant I add 2tbsp per 5 gal of top off water!

Habib
02/15/2012, 12:55 PM

For a calculation of the alkalinity rise, tank volume and how long the 5 gallons takes before it is used up would be needed. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/15/2012, 02:34 PM

IMO, using calcium hydroxide might be even better if you add it slowly as it will boost the alkalinity and the calcium in an appropriate ratio. Many of us do that. :)

joemelo
02/15/2012, 04:49 PM
Randy
Does the baking soda act as an alk buffer like those seachem brand buffers ?

How much baking soda do I add to how much freshwater. would this be a daily thing?

Would the be the same as brs soda ash or whatever they sell?

Could you send me they 2 part diy?

Keep in mind, I am in Canada. It's hard to get certain products easily or at all...

Metal Man 1221
02/15/2012, 08:43 PM
Surely you will find Baking soda in Canada.

<a href="http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php">Here</a> is Randy's two part recipe.

joemelo
02/15/2012, 09:29 PM
So since my ph is 8.2-8.4 daily I will use the recipe 2?

Can I use the 2 part recipe to add to my 30 gallon top off container and drip them together as top off? And use the recommended chart as a starting dosage?

bertoni
02/15/2012, 09:34 PM
I'd use recipe 2. You can add the alkalinity or the calcium part to plain RO/DI water, but not both, and neither will mix with limewater.

The SeaChem products are mostly baking soda and soda ash. The BRS high-pH supplement is sodium carbonate, instead of sodium bicarbonate, like baking soda. You can cover baking soda into soda ash by baking it in an oven for a while, but I would bother.

joemelo
02/15/2012, 10:00 PM
I add baking soda to my rodi water and stop limewater. Or I add baking soda to freshwater and add manually, while still dosing lime water in my topoff. Just want to verify. My top off drum will be empty soon. Just making sure on what to mix next. Is their a limit on how much to add for the alk mix recipe 2.

joemelo
02/15/2012, 10:12 PM
After I mix up recipe 2 alk mix it says to start with 1ml/ gallon. Is that gallon of topoff evaporation that is being mixed. Or gallon of tank volume

Would i add 2.5 ml/ 2.5 gallons of evaporation per day, or 250 ml/ tank volume per day

karsseboom
02/16/2012, 01:21 AM
It's very simple. If your kalk is not keeping up with the demand of your tank you need to start dosing. So your gonna use kalk for your top off water and dose some alk as well. So look at randy link and start to estimate what you should dose daily on top of you kalk.

bertoni
02/16/2012, 02:14 AM
The 1 ml per gallon is just a guess at a starting point. It should be multiplied by the number of gallons of water actually in the system. The amount of evaporation is not important until you start dosing the baking soda via topoff.

So, guessing wildly that there might be 150 g of actual water in your system, I might start with 150 ml per day as a first guess. After a testing alkalinity every day for a few days, you should get a reasonable trend line, and can start backing off on the testing frequency.

joemelo
02/16/2012, 05:14 AM
Thanks bertoni. that's just the answer i was looking for.

joemelo
02/16/2012, 05:06 PM
Do i dose this with a litre meter still pump, or drip it, or can I just dump it in a high flow area such as the return section of my sump.

My intention is to just use limewater in my top off to keep ph stable and keep alk and calcium from depleting as much. and dose manually whatever i need with randy's 2 part.

Will I need to buy a dosing pump

cnaegler
02/16/2012, 05:57 PM
Do i dose this with a litre meter still pump, or drip it, or can I just dump it in a high flow area such as the return section of my sump.

My intention is to just use limewater in my top off to keep ph stable and keep alk and calcium from depleting as much. and dose manually whatever i need with randy's 2 part.

Will I need to buy a dosing pump

That will work. I do the same thing with great results. No...you don't have to buy a dosing pump BUT it will help automate the dosing process. Without a dosing pump, you'll just have to figure out how much your tank requires daily and add it to the tank daily . I just purchased an inexpensive triple dosing pump from ebay to automate my alk, calcium and mag dosing.

cnaegler
02/16/2012, 05:59 PM
I meant to add that you add it to a high flow area.

joemelo
02/16/2012, 06:16 PM
Thank you cnaegler

I will put it where my return pump is in the sump

cnaegler
02/16/2012, 06:31 PM
you're welcome!

joemelo
02/16/2012, 09:16 PM
Randy you said to add calcium hydroxide to boost calcium and alk at the same time in proper ratio. Can you explain how to dose this and where I can get it. Is it something I can get anywhere like baking soda....

bertoni
02/16/2012, 09:49 PM
Calcium hydroxide is lime, also called Kalk. Here's an article:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

joemelo
02/17/2012, 05:07 AM
Oh okay.

Already using it, and at my max dose. i will continue to use it for ph and calcium but i'll dose baking soda for alk