PDA

View Full Version : Can I put a flame angel and coral beauty together?

jarrett shark
02/14/2012, 08:27 PM
I have Coral Beauty in my 450gal and my flame in my frag tank. I want to put together in my 450gal but don't want to see a fight... Has anyone mixed them together??

LSBoogie
02/14/2012, 08:38 PM
i just recently did the same thing but in a much smaller tank (210g). The coral beauty was already in the tank and I added the flame (he was in my 75g that is being broken down). I rarely see my coral beauty as he likes to hide in the rocks, but when I added the flame angel, even with the lights off, he came out of hiding and world war III was on. They chased each other around the tank for about 10 minutes and then the white flags went up.

Been 3 days now and I see them swimming within about 6" of each other and neither pays any attention to the other.

The coral beauty is back to his normal swimming around in the rocks and the flame stays out and swims every where.

I can't promise you will have the same results but I don't forsee any problems with mine.

Even as I type this I am watching them both pecking at the same piece of live rocks. All seems well.

Casey8
02/14/2012, 08:42 PM
No problem if you put them into your tank at the same time.

crankbait
02/14/2012, 09:16 PM
What about trying this in a 90?

jarrett shark
02/14/2012, 09:16 PM
i just recently did the same thing but in a much smaller tank (210g). The coral beauty was already in the tank and I added the flame (he was in my 75g that is being broken down). I rarely see my coral beauty as he likes to hide in the rocks, but when I added the flame angel, even with the lights off, he came out of hiding and world war III was on. They chased each other around the tank for about 10 minutes and then the white flags went up.

Been 3 days now and I see them swimming within about 6" of each other and neither pays any attention to the other.

The coral beauty is back to his normal swimming around in the rocks and the flame stays out and swims every where.

I can't promise you will have the same results but I don't forsee any problems with mine.

Even as I type this I am watching them both pecking at the same piece of live rocks. All seems well.

thanks

Casey8
02/14/2012, 09:24 PM

You can put 2 dwarf angelfish in a 25 gallon tank, but the bigger tank the better.

Toddrtrex
02/14/2012, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't put 1 (( maybe a C. argi )) let alone 2 in a 25.

I have a coral beauty and flame (( along with a multicolored )) in my 65. The flame was added last, the coral and multicolored have been together for a year. When I moved the flame into this tank I held it in an acclimation box for a week first. There was some chasing the first day or two, but now the flame is the leader with no issues.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/65/65FTSside2.jpg

dzfish17
02/14/2012, 11:52 PM
I had this combo in my old 210g reef with no issues.

jarrett shark
02/15/2012, 06:39 AM
Thanks guys

Bernie21
02/15/2012, 08:59 AM
Did it in my 92, no issues after a 20 minute star wars like color show.

crankbait
02/15/2012, 08:11 PM
Killer thanks!

MrTuskfish
02/16/2012, 03:00 PM
IMO & IME; the worry about mixing dwarf angels is really overblown. Assuming they have enough room and mature LR (THE key to DAs thriving, IMO); they will almost always establish a pecking order and be fine. I've kept several DAs together for many years, in several tanks & combinations, and never had a real issue. A couple of times I did pull the senior fish out for a week in the QT and he was fine when re-introduced. DAs have real territorial demands and, if you screw them up, the fish has to find his new place.....and always seems to do so.

JayinToronto
03/01/2012, 10:57 PM
I added three coral beauties to my 400g with plenty of rockwork. The two larger ones chased the smaller one to death. The remaining 2 got along fine. 3 months later I added a flame angel. The coral beauties went nuts for about a week. I though the flame angel was going to die. Eventually the flame began to hold it's own and eventually the three of them would move around the tank together picking at the same places in the sand and nipping the same gorgonian. About 3 months later, after the flame had grown fat, it started picking on one the smaller of the two coral beauties. It had the coral beauty on it's last legs, with fins all destroyed, welts in it's sides, swimming half dead up in the corner of the tank. I felt so bad, that I took it out and nursed it back to health in my refrugium. Upon adding it back the flame AND other coral beauty went nuts and ripped the poor little guy apart again. However, over the course of a few days the coral beauty found some great hiding spots in which only it would fit. Drove the flame angel nuts trying to get at it, even to the point that he ripped up his own sides a little. Eventually the coral beauty would come out for longer and longer periods of time without any fighting. Now it swims around everywhere, is feeding well and on the road to recovery (again). The other two angels half *** chase it a bit, but there is no longer any contact and I think everyone has found their little niche. We'll see though. It all has changed many times.

NYCBOB
03/02/2012, 05:14 PM
this is mine from 1 year ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGKFuoZt2U4&feature=g-upl&context=G259c8dcAUAAAAAAAGAA

trag
09/11/2014, 04:55 PM
I added three coral beauties to my 400g with plenty of rockwork. The two larger ones chased the smaller one to death. The remaining 2 got along fine.

In my experience Centropyge are a lot like tetras or other small, aggressive, schooling freshwater fish. If you put too few of them in a tank, the weakest one(s) get too much bullying. More is better so that the aggressive behavior can be spread out over a school and the aggressors get distracted by the other fish and can't just focus on one.

I kept six flame angels in a 90 gallon tank for a year with no behavior problems. By the end of the year they were spawning every evening about fifteen minutes before the timer turned the lights out. That tank was also in a place where it got some direct sun from the west as the sun set.

Unfortunately, I moved cities at the end of that year, and the fish did not survive the move. Grrr.

The behavior I see described when folks put just two or three together is exactly the same as you would get with a school of just two or three aggressive tetras or tiger barbs.

Bernie21
09/11/2014, 05:51 PM

I did that in a 92 g w 4 dwarf angels. I added a coral beauty, a flame, a potters and a midnight angel. All at the same time though. I never had any issues w them.