PDA

View Full Version : Help! Hair Algae? Confused

Tutto
02/15/2012, 09:15 AM
Hey!

So Ive had my tank up and running for about 4 months now, parameters are good. I originally thought it was diatoms or Cyano, but it seems to have hairs growing from it that move with the flow of the tank. They are about 1 inch long.

I dont have any on my rocks, I think my lawnmower blenny keeps it off the rocks, as well as my CUC.

http://i41.*******.com/1sac.jpg

Any idea on what it is? And ideas to get rid of it? Ive been doing water changes religiously, and manual removal as much as I can.

barjam
02/15/2012, 09:47 AM
Looks like cyano to me. Cyano can also behave as you describe. Does it come out easily with siphoning? Hair algae will not do that.

Tutto
02/15/2012, 10:10 AM
Looks like cyano to me. Cyano can also behave as you describe. Does it come out easily with siphoning? Hair algae will not do that.

Somewhat, my siphon is a bit weak it seems cause it doesn't have the power to actually suck it all the way up, but it does take it off the sand pretty easily while taking some of the sand up as well.

Tutto
02/15/2012, 12:09 PM
Any other opinions? Please

uno_mas
02/15/2012, 12:14 PM
I agree with barjam, it looks like cyano to me. I've had several battles with it, just keep doing water changes and siphon up as much as possible. Increased flow usually helps as does reduced lighting period or lights out for a couple days.

Good luck

Tutto
02/15/2012, 12:29 PM
I agree with barjam, it looks like cyano to me. I've had several battles with it, just keep doing water changes and siphon up as much as possible. Increased flow usually helps as does reduced lighting period or lights out for a couple days.

Good luck

I have one peice of torch coral in the tank currently, seems to be doing quite well, would a lights out period for a few days hurt it?

Right now my flow is two 1300 gph powerheads, and a 250 gph. So for a 55 gallon tank, Im over 50x turnover, I feel as though they are place correctly, but I will try and aim that a little more down to hopefully reduce the deadspots.

ReefHoboBum
02/15/2012, 01:23 PM
Lights for a few days won't hurt the coral.

brandon429
02/15/2012, 01:37 PM
Read the whole thread in nanos forum called Pico reef pest algae problem challenge see what you think

Pics tell the tale...