PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Questions

MaineReef88
02/15/2012, 02:54 PM
I have had a display tank for years now, but I have never used / had a quarantine tank, Now as I am putting more money and time into the display I have decided to invest in a small quarantine for my new fish and inverts. I have a couple questions. I am planning on setting it up with water from my display tank, In that case will it need to cycle?? there will be No LR or LS in the QT

Next question, For those of you who have purchased a starfish, do you QT these?? My concern would be the stress of two acclimation periods, as well as it finding enough to eat in the QT?? Thoughts??

Thanks!

nlgill13
02/15/2012, 03:09 PM
The QT shouldn't cycle...you don't need it to cycle. The water from your DT should work fine. It isn't going to cycle your QT unless the DT is still cycling.

To keep up with ammonia and nitrite build-up, do daily water changes when you have fish or inverts in your QT. Or you can pre-soak a sponge filter in your sump (seeding the filter) and using that to get rid ammonia and nitrite.

I don't have any starfish, so im not sure about QTing them...I will pass it off to someone else.

MaineReef88
02/15/2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks!