PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to led or add another T5?

Saltydrip
02/15/2012, 03:18 PM
I'm debating on upgrading to all LED or if I should just add another T5 to my fixture...

I already own what I would need to add a bulb. Including the build.

Or I can mod my hood to fit LEDs in there.

It's a 48" 55g that I don't plan to have any really difficult corals but if I see something that I like I have no restrictions. My hood currently only has 2 T5s. One 6500k and one actinic. I don't like the look and was thinking I could ad another actinic and change the 6500 to a 10000. I know that would be enough for most corals but for only $130 I can get 36 LEDs and sinks. I'm kinda torn. I really want to just order the LEDs but I'm unsure if it's better than T5s! I know I can adjust them and dial them in as far as blue and white balance.

Should I or shouldn't I???

mantid
02/15/2012, 03:21 PM
Keep your T5 unit and add an LED strip. The combination of T5 and LED is very nice IMO.

Playa-1
02/15/2012, 03:44 PM
I think I would just add the extra t5 and give the whole led industry more time to mature. I think if you just want to get your feet wet and try it out then Mantid has a good idea.

Saltydrip
02/15/2012, 04:25 PM
That might be what I do. I think I'll order the same 36 bulb kit and just get sinks narrow enough to fit between the bulbs and then just dial them back to where it looks good. That was my original plan but when I found out that that kit would be more than enough to do the hole tank I started thinking.

With the LEDs I am thinking I'll do 18 white, 14 royal blue, 2 red and 2 uv. I'll be able to turn down the white and colors separately and that should give the fine tuning I need.

Right now the 6500 washes out the actinic. The builds are only about 2 months old so I know they are good.