PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Question

reeferstace
02/15/2012, 08:19 PM
I purchased an Apex Lite last summer and it's still sitting in the box. I want to get it set up in the near future. The tank I wish it to control is in my basement. The wireless router for my home network is on the main floor. I don't want to drill through the floor to run an ethernet cable. I know I need a bridge device in order to use my Apex wirelessly.

So, here's my question- would there be any issues in using an old 802.11b Airport Extreme instead of buying a new gaming bridge?

My main house computer is a MacBook Pro and the wireless router I use is one from Comcast, if any of this matters.

I am not a tech geek. :(

TIA,
Stacy

lolwat
02/16/2012, 12:17 PM
Honestly, I'd keep my eyes on craigslist for a router with dd-wrt firmware installed. Easiest/cheapest way to have a pretty powerful wireless bridge. Quick googling could neither confirm nor deny that you could use an airport extreme as a wireless bridge :/ If it were me I'd just pick up a dd-wrt router or a gaming adaper.

lolwat
02/16/2012, 12:20 PM
this might help as far as enabling an airport as a wireless bridge.

http://hintsforums.macworld.com/archive/index.php/t-27269.html

RussM
02/16/2012, 01:17 PM
You cannot use an old Extreme for this purpose, unless the primary router is also an Apple model.

Simplest thing to do is to pick up a wireless adapter like the Netgear WNCE2001, Trendnet TEW-467GA, or TEW-687GA

You can also use PowerLine network adapters (AKA HomePlug) to carry the network signals over your house wiring.

reeferstace
02/17/2012, 02:11 PM
The primary router is not an Apple product. I was hoping to get use of my old Airport Extreme:(

austinr30
02/19/2012, 05:53 PM
I just purchased the Apex and used an airport express to set up wirelessly. I have a cable modem connected to a wireless router by Netgear. Works like a charm. I haven't gotten around to setting it to connect outside of the house yet though.

Eman79
02/26/2012, 09:00 PM
There seems to be a lot of confusion in regards to being able to use apple airport products as a wireless bridge. even the guy at the apple store didn't know. I purchased an airport express to connect my apex to my existing (non apple) home network. I went with apple because I figured it would be incredibly easy. I was right. If you have an iPad or iPhone, there is an airport app. For setup, all I had to do was go to setup, connect to the airport and tell it to connect to my existing network. My iPad did all the work, I didn't even have to put in my wireless security code. I was immediately able to access http:/apex from my computer. Couldn't have been simpler. Just thought I'd share since I had a hard time finding concrete answers before buying my Airport.