PDA

View Full Version : Non Aquarium T5 Lighting

Augustus
02/17/2012, 12:10 AM
Hey All looking for info on T5 lighting. Specifically in regards to using grow light fixtures for plants. I can go to the local indoor gardening shop and pick up high output T5 lighting fixtures for a fraction of what I can buy them for from an aquarium supply store.

I've done some reading up on them however I'd like to hear from someone that has experience with T5 fixtures not specifically designed for aquarium use. I'm only trying to light a 30 gallon tank at the moment which is also why I don't want to shell out a lot of money. I have really enjoyed the hobby thus far and will probably buy a larger setup once I move. Until then I will stick with the 30 but want something better than the PC lighting I'm using now.

To summarize I'd like to know if there are any obvious draw backs to using them. Is there a difference between high output and very high output or is this an advertising gimmick. The fixtures do come with bulbs but I plan on replacing those, is there any reason aquarium bulbs would not work?

Thanks!

RichardinMa
02/17/2012, 07:53 AM
I have been using those types of fixtures on several of my tanks and think they are great. The types I have feature individual, polished German specular aluminum reflectors and an 8 x 54w fixture runs less than $300. Of course, you need to use the appropriate bulbs but I have yet to have a problem and my results are good. These units do not have cooling fans but I have not found this to be a problem as the fixtures themselves are designed to self ventilate and heat transmission has not been an issue in my circumstances. While sets of bulbs are usually switched seperately, they are not corded that way so you do not get the dawn/dusk feature but that is about all I have seen as a difference. After using these I just cannot fathom what the $800 difference in price is giving you.

rtparty
02/17/2012, 10:34 AM
Alright I will do my best here.

The non-aquarium fixtures in question have quite a few drawbacks.

1) Their reflectors are bottom of the barrel. Sure they might be individual and all that but they are low line stuff.

2) The ballasts are usually Workhorse. Not a huge deal but Workhorse ballasts put out 15% less PAR from the get go. No matter what you do, you are behind that 15%.

3) As mentioned already, the bulbs are not meant for our use. So take however many bulbs the unit has and times that by $25. That's how much extra you will pay to get the proper bulbs.

4) No cooling fans means the bulbs will need to be replaced every 6-8 months. IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW OPEN THE FIXTURE IS. Passive cooling does NOT work on T5s. This has been proven time and time again. So plan on buying some type of external fan to help cool things down.

Just get a Tek fixture with your own choice of bulbs. They are a great budget fixture with good resale value. For those questioning, yes Tek fixtures do use Workhorse ballasts as well. This is why they can NOT compete with an ATI. I put in the info above about Workhorse ballasts because it needs to be known.

Once you start adding up the new bulbs and a fan, the price tag jumps up quite a bit. Find a used fixture on your local forum or Craigslist. That will save a bunch of money right there as well.

So what do the more expensive fixtures get you? Better ballasts, better reflectors, better cooling designs and your choice of bulbs up front. If you are going to use the electricity, why accept half the light for the same electrical usage? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

A local guy bought one of the industrial type T5 fixtures, changed out the bulbs and took PAR readings. They weren't all that impressive. He had a hard time with high light corals and finally switched out to an Aquatic Life fixture. His PAR doubled and his corals loved it.

So I don't have any first-hand experience but I did get to see numbers for the non-aquarium stuff and they weren't the greatest. Others will have a different story and different results. That is just part of the hobby.

bmiller1234
02/17/2012, 10:54 AM
I have been using 48" strips from a hydro store for 3 years now. I grew sps in the sand on a 20" deep tank with them 3" off water. These are the things you have to consider with hydro grow lights.

1. They are not waterproof or even resistant. They will rust if you get any type of salt spray on them.

2. They are designed for a wide spread. Alot of talk is based on par with these lights. Typically you can take an aquarium fixture and hang 6-10" off water and get good results as reflectors are more focused. Hydro lights are meant to spread wider and need to be closer to water line.

3. Some reflectors are just raw aluminum and not highly reflective. I polished mine(professionally not with never dull) and brought them to 95% reflective just like a actual fixture.

4. Most will come with choice of 3k 6500 or 11k bulb. If you go this route and can pick bulbs get a mix of 6500 and 11k and then you have extra bulbs. If you get a 4 bulb remove 2 for high k or actinic and run 2 hydro bulbs. Then in a year when it's time to replace just buy 2 more bulbs and use the spares.

They can be used and will work fr less money but there is drawbacks. I personally liked them. I used individual strips not an actual fixture so I could add more as needed. I started with 2 then added three more when my tank demanded more light.

Hope this helps.

lokii_37
02/17/2012, 12:51 PM
I use a 6x54w that I got from the hydro shop. It is working well for me so far. But it has only been 6 months

RichardinMa
02/17/2012, 01:56 PM
To be sure we are comparing apples to apples we need list the specific fixtures that we are talking about. To say that aquarium fixtures automatically have better polished reflectors than hydro units is a pretty broad statement. My reflectors have a mirror-like appearance and I'm not sure how that varies so much from another brand. Perhaps their mirrors are even better mirrors. Additionally, not all hydroponic units are designed to have the spread. Regarding the value, $1200 for an ATI fixture complete with fans, bells and whistles is still something I am not willing to swap out for my $289 unit that has given me good results.

Augustus
02/17/2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the info guys. How about the bulbs. Are there any differences I should know about? Ignition types, high output vs non high output, etc. Or can you pop any aquarium type bulb into any t5 fixture.

Tony B (UK)
02/17/2012, 04:50 PM
I use maxigrow lightwave 8x54w T5s designed for growing plants. I've got four narva blue tubes, three aquamedic reefwhites and one kz fiji purple. Here's my build thread plenty of pictures:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1936405

The light unit I'm using produces more par than a twin 250w arcadia metal halide, whilst using less electric.

There's no cooling fans but each tube has it's own reflector, the light unit has several cooling louvres and remains very cool to touch.

No doubt ati units will pack more punch but my unit was only £145 new.

Here's a recent fts:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/brazao123/DSC_0001-7.jpg

Lurking
02/17/2012, 04:56 PM
I use maxigrow lightwave 8x54w T5s designed for growing plants. I've got four narva blue tubes, three aquamedic reefwhites and one kz fiji purple. Here's my build thread plenty of pictures:

The light unit I'm using produces more par than a twin 250w arcadia metal halide, whilst using less electric.

There's no cooling fans but each tube has it's own reflector, the light unit has several cooling louvres and remains very cool to touch.

Here's a recent fts:

What is the large light blue sps in the center there? I love it! need a frag!

Sorry to derail.

Tony B (UK)
02/17/2012, 05:10 PM
What is the large light blue sps in the center there? I love it! need a frag!

Sorry to derail.

I've no idea, some kind of acropora, I'm in England and frags are collection only :celeb1:

rtparty
02/17/2012, 07:02 PM
To be sure we are comparing apples to apples we need list the specific fixtures that we are talking about. To say that aquarium fixtures automatically have better polished reflectors than hydro units is a pretty broad statement. My reflectors have a mirror-like appearance and I'm not sure how that varies so much from another brand. Perhaps their mirrors are even better mirrors. Additionally, not all hydroponic units are designed to have the spread. Regarding the value, $1200 for an ATI fixture complete with fans, bells and whistles is still something I am not willing to swap out for my $289 unit that has given me good results.

It's not all about reflectiveness, if that's a word. It's about size and the bends as well. Do the reflectors cause a lot of restrike issues because of improper bends?
You are also comparing to an ATI powermodule not the sunpower. There is basically no difference in performance between the sunpower and powermodule.

Augustus
02/17/2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. Picked up four 24 inch fixtures tonight.

Anyone have recomendations on a good place to buy bulbs at a decent price? Also any bulbs I should stay away from?

Augustus
02/17/2012, 10:38 PM
Also wanted to say fantastic tank Tony. After you posted those photos I was pretty much sold on going this route.

RichardinMa
02/19/2012, 12:08 PM

Here's a recent fts:

That is a spectacular setup and a great example of what is possible even if you step outside the box on equipment!

Tony B (UK)
02/19/2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks for all the compliments.

Are you able to get Narva blue tubes in America or Canada?

I use them, they're less than half the price of a kz superblue, I would recommend them, irrespective of price.

Tony