PDA

View Full Version : Best Dimensions for Ritteri Tank

Tethered_Limbs
02/17/2012, 01:11 AM
im planning on doing a ritteri specimen tank, preferably a big cube with a pile of rox or one big rock in the middle with a ritteri on it. lookihg at the 2' cubes, id be worried about it touching somewhere, so maybe a shallower 30" cube. rather it be shallow, but ive never had a magnifica before so idk how tall they stand. def dun want 30" deep if i dun have to

BonsaiNut
02/17/2012, 09:35 AM
2' might be a little small, depending on the size of the anemone. A 12" magnifica isn't that large, and then you would only have 6" on all sides of it. I would lean towards the 30". Depth is less critical - I have seen them in extremely shallow water in the wild - even fully exposed at low tide. As long as they have nice current and bright light, they will be happy.

WDLV
02/17/2012, 01:24 PM
If it's a dedicated tank I would go with a large cube tank. 36" x 36" x36" minimum.... 48 x 48 x 48 would be better. An island in the center of the tank about 18" from the water's surface and a single pendant MH should keep it from wandering. "Should" being the key word. This is a mag we're talking about after all.

sonofgaladriel
02/17/2012, 02:18 PM
Great minds think alike! I'm in the process of the same species specific aquarium, but I'm hoping for multiple ritteri/magnifica in this tank, maybe 3 to 5 various colored specimens and a good size colony of clowns and damsels/chromis.
Mine will be a 36"x36"x36" cube with external overflow or possibly a 48"x 24"x30"open top pennisula style tank with external overflow. Both will have minimal rockscaping to keep the water column as open as possible. Rockscape will be designed for optimal anemone placement up high in the water column.
I'm still several months away from starting it though. Still in the planning stages.
Good luck with yours!

WDLV
02/17/2012, 02:30 PM
2' might be a little small, depending on the size of the anemone. A 12" magnifica isn't that large, and then you would only have 6" on all sides of it. I would lean towards the 30". Depth is less critical - I have seen them in extremely shallow water in the wild - even fully exposed at low tide. As long as they have nice current and bright light, they will be happy.
I had four 24x24x19 cube tanks I was using for anemone tanks and would tend to agree that this is too small for H. mag. They just get too big and if they ever touch anything higher than the rock they're on they will climb it.

The other consideration is keeping them separated from pump intakes but that's another conversation all together.

Tethered_Limbs
02/17/2012, 04:03 PM
If it's a dedicated tank I would go with a large cube tank. 36" x 36" x36" minimum.... 48 x 48 x 48 would be better. An island in the center of the tank about 18" from the water's surface and a single pendant MH should keep it from wandering. "Should" being the key word. This is a mag we're talking about after all.

i was leaning more towards leds, but that was the idea. 3' deep min?

Tethered_Limbs
02/17/2012, 04:05 PM
Great minds think alike! I'm in the process of the same species specific aquarium, but I'm hoping for multiple ritteri/magnifica in this tank, maybe 3 to 5 various colored specimens and a good size colony of clowns and damsels/chromis.
Mine will be a 36"x36"x36" cube with external overflow or possibly a 48"x 24"x30"open top pennisula style tank with external overflow. Both will have minimal rockscaping to keep the water column as open as possible. Rockscape will be designed for optimal anemone placement up high in the water column.
I'm still several months away from starting it though. Still in the planning stages.
Good luck with yours!

i wanted to do an external as well, but have never done this...

Tethered_Limbs
02/17/2012, 04:06 PM
I had four 24x24x19 cube tanks I was using for anemone tanks and would tend to agree that this is too small for H. mag. They just get too big and if they ever touch anything higher than the rock they're on they will climb it.

The other consideration is keeping them separated from pump intakes but that's another conversation all together.
30"x30"x24"? i use vortechs, so a lil foam will go a long way

WDLV
02/17/2012, 04:10 PM
i was leaning more towards leds, but that was the idea. 3' deep min?
Height is more personal preference than necessity. I just like that you can put more LR in the taller one for more filtration and aquascaping.
depending on how successful you are they can get to around 3' diameter. Better to be safe and go bigger.

Tethered_Limbs
02/17/2012, 04:13 PM
3' wide, thatd be something to see, im more of a shallow kinda guy. aquascape im not too worried bout, getting enough filtration is a different story. with just a big pile, would hope its enough. could shuv sum in the sump, but id like to avoid that

WDLV
02/17/2012, 04:14 PM
30"x30"x24"? i use vortechs, so a lil foam will go a long way

I say error on the side of insomnia inducing paranoia and you'll be fine.

Tethered_Limbs
02/17/2012, 04:18 PM
I say error on the side of insomnia inducing paranoia and you'll be fine.

lul wat?

WDLV
02/17/2012, 04:21 PM
Its like "error on the side of caution" with emphasis. ;D

Tethered_Limbs
02/17/2012, 04:29 PM
i dun think ive head that expression, maybe its east coast thing. but bigget is better...

Tethered_Limbs
02/18/2012, 09:23 PM
i found a nice 30"x30"x24" locally, pretty cheap too. was thinking bout best way to do the overflow. id like to put a box on the outside, but have no idea how to go about it? also was wondering bout how mags like to put their foot, in a crack, on a flatish surface, doesn't matter w.e tallest ?

SkullV
02/18/2012, 09:32 PM
Its like "error on the side of caution" with emphasis. ;D

It's "Err on the side of caution" :beer:

WDLV
02/19/2012, 06:14 AM
i found a nice 30"x30"x24" locally, pretty cheap too. was thinking bout best way to do the overflow. id like to put a box on the outside, but have no idea how to go about it? also was wondering bout how mags like to put their foot, in a crack, on a flatish surface, doesn't matter w.e tallest ?
High and flat. Dead center of the tank to insure that it doesn't detect the higher surfaces (sides.) I'd drill the side and not worry about an exterior box to eliminate an extra point of failure.

WDLV
02/19/2012, 06:18 AM
It's "Err on the side of caution" :beer:
Yeah. ^ that.

Tethered_Limbs
02/19/2012, 07:05 AM
so a regular overflow is fine? as long as the ritteri doesn't touch it of course

WDLV
02/19/2012, 09:31 AM
No overflow or pump intake is really safe. I only recommend that because an external overflow simply adds another potential point of failure in the system.

Tethered_Limbs
02/19/2012, 09:40 AM
yea, i didnt want it to touch a box n jump on to clog it, but it could just as easily do that 2 an external 1.

Winwood
02/19/2012, 03:22 PM
2'x2' cube can work. Ron Popeil on here has kept his mags in a 60 gallon cube for years now.

garygb
02/19/2012, 06:48 PM
2x2 cube is fine. I have a 2x2 Lee Mar with mags in it and, though it's pretty much wall to wall anemone, they're fine. I don't see any movement toward the side of the tank, even though there is contact with the glass on one side. I think movement is often an indicator of less than ideal water parameters or insufficient lighting.