PDA

View Full Version : Stocking plan...questions!

ShelbyJK500
02/17/2012, 03:17 AM
I've been bitten by the hobby bug, BIG time. I have 4 tanks in the house, not including a frag tank, and two QT tanks.

This thread is about my largest tank, a 220g FOWLR. First off, I'll mention I've read the stickies had have done tons of research. I understand the experiences and principles behind not mixing large angels together. However, Angels are why I got into this hobby and I'm going to roll the dice. I'm not doing this lightly and without months of reading and seeking experienced advice. I have had no less than three maintenance companies that have hundreds of clients, and decades of experience, give me the same advice as far as mixed angel tanks. ALL, have said mixed angel tanks can be successful with two rule-of-thumb parameters. 1st, ALL the angels have to be added at the same time. 2nd, 4-6 together will have better results than fewer.

Having this in mind...here is my "list".

1) Majestic (Pomacanthus navarchus)
2) Blueline (Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis)
3) Annularis (Pomacanthus annularis)
4) Emperor (Pomacanthus imperator)

Possible additional, or alternates;

1) Blueface (Pomacanthus xanthometopon)
2) Koran (Pomacanthus semicirculatus)

Suggestions on what to keep/mix/delete are welcomed. I'm looking at all juveniles, just larger than adult dwarfs, so I can have them grow for a few years. I am also going into this with eyes open, and understand some may be removed/replaced as they reach adult sizes. Thankfully, I have the ability to separate until one of the many LFS's around could take them off my hands (if need be). I plan on moving into a larger/different home in the next five years. If this happens, a larger tank in a finished basement will be the upgrade.

Here is the remainder of my list after the Angels are in;

1) Achilles Tang
2) Chevron Tang
2) Pakistan Butterfly
3) Harlequin Tusk
4) Marble wrasse
5) Pair of clowns

ShelbyJK500
02/17/2012, 12:46 PM
No suggestions/input...does this mean I'm good to go?? ;)

agreeive?fish
02/17/2012, 05:55 PM
i see problems a head in general

you have to many angels of the same family, with many of the juvies with very close color patterens and your blue line and emp will look to similar at adulthood

my regal and false personifer get along well for the last 6 months and were introed together from other tanks in the house but i would not attempt any angel with my ahole to angels asfur but he is 5 years as the only angel in his tank

las
02/17/2012, 07:00 PM
are asfurs difficult to keep with other types of angels?

ShelbyJK500
02/17/2012, 09:36 PM
i see problems a head in general

you have to many angels of the same family, with many of the juvies with very close color patterens and your blue line and emp will look to similar at adulthood

my regal and false personifer get along well for the last 6 months and were introed together from other tanks in the house but i would not attempt any angel with my ahole to angels asfur but he is 5 years as the only angel in his tank

Thanks for the input...after speaking a few other experienced people today and even more research...I've decided to cut the Emperor out of the equation. Most likely looking at modifying the list a touch because of that. See new edit...

So, apparently I can't edit the original post. Basically just switching the Emperor with the Blueface and scratching the Koran off the list as well. That'll leave me with four. Two on the smaller and shyer side, and the Blueface being the Alpha of the group. I'll run with that and if one emerges over time as a bully that won't leave the others alone, it'll get moved. If one just gets beat up by the others, I'll move that one. I'm prepared...just can't go without these Angels. ;)