PDA

View Full Version : RODI question. about phosphates

donald altman
02/17/2012, 01:13 PM
I am trying to understand which part of the 5-7 stage common ro-di system is what actually eleminates the phosphate from the water?

Is anyone using JUST that particular filter without the complete system?

dzhuo
02/17/2012, 02:28 PM
I am trying to understand which part of the 5-7 stage common ro-di system is what actually eleminates the phosphate from the water?

The DI is where the phosphate would be removed. A working DI resin would trap all charged (positive or negative) molecules.

Is anyone using JUST that particular filter without the complete system?

It would be very expensive. The larger particles would probably clog or damage the resin or the resin would be exhausted quickly.

porksmash
02/17/2012, 02:39 PM
Yeah, the DI resin would remove everything that could make it through a micron filter but it doesn't make sense to do it that way. That's pretty much the whole reason the micron, carbon, and RO filters are before the DI. They are all a lot cheaper to operate than DI resin!

dzhuo
02/17/2012, 03:25 PM
Technically, any uncharged organic or inorganic molecules would also pass through. chloramine, for example, if still present in the water when it hits the DI would not be removed.

Buckeye Hydro
02/18/2012, 06:07 AM
RO membrane removes most of it. remaining bit is cleaned up by di resin

jrp1588
02/18/2012, 10:33 AM
I had a problem with my RO/DI system a while back. The membrane was putting out 50-70ppm water. This caused the DI media to be used up after about 70 gallons. The incoming water is 250ppm, so I can't imagine how fast that would exhaust it with no prefilters.