PDA

View Full Version : simple cycling question

antjtc
02/17/2012, 07:00 PM
I have had my 19 gal quarantine tank set up for about 2 wks now. I have a large sponge filter w/ a powerhead connected on top plus a HOB filter w/ charcoal. I put some dry rock rubble in it for organic material. I still have ammonia readings. Is there any way I can hurry up the cycle of the tank and get 0 ammonia? I assume since I have ammonia readings that the dry rock has provided enough organic material to be converted to ammonia?

Thanks. I am anxious to put my first fish in the QT as I cont to plod along and get my 90 gal DT set up which will hopefully be ready to accept fish in about 6-8 wks.

Thanks for any helpful advice.

saltysailor2329
02/17/2012, 07:19 PM
Any reason you put rock in your QT? I ask because most of what I have heard and seen is to not have any rock so you can see everything going on with your fish and if you medicate the rock can become Saturated with it.

antjtc
02/17/2012, 07:34 PM
Any reason you put rock in your QT? I ask because most of what I have heard and seen is to not have any rock so you can see everything going on with your fish and if you medicate the rock can become Saturated with it.

Well I had this idea of killing two birds w/ one stone. I can't fit any more of my dead Pukani rock in my Brute can so I thought if I put some really small pieces of rubble in my QT, then it can provide organic material to start the cycle, and at the same time cure some of my rubble which I will later put in my sump, although the pieces in my QT are 3 really small pieces and probably won't make any sig impact on filtration in the sump.

tangs_tank
02/17/2012, 07:55 PM
Rocks and substrates are not ideal in a QT. It should be filter, powerhead(sometimes), heater, thermometer and some pvc piping. The rocks and substrate will harbor parasites you don't want, especially if your fish has a breakout of any kind.