PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 5017 osmolator - sensor problem

h1pchek
02/17/2012, 07:18 PM
I’ve been experiencing some sporadic issues with the Tunze 5017 osmolator not stopping itself in the level position and filling too much water into the overflow until it trips the “too high” float and buzzer.
When I first plug the osmolator in it seems to work just fine (pump works for the usual 10-15sec test and the yellow light comes on) and then it goes into its normal standby mode because the water is at the appropriate “level” position. When I return a few hours (sometimes a few days) later the system seems to have triggered the pump which pumps too much water into the overflow causing the “too high” float to kill the pump and set off the loud buzzer.
I’ve tried monkeying with the system a lot to see if it wasn’t adjusted right and tried a lot of other suggestions I found on other posts but I’m stuck. The float always seems to work and warn me that it filled up too much, the sensor always seems to notice once the water level has dropped too low, the pump always works when I would expect it to… I can only assume there is something wrong w the senor detecting the appropriate “level” setting?

Notes:
• Tried cleaning sensor with vinegar as suggested elsewhere, seemed to help but a little bit but I still have same issues
• Checked the circuit board and sanded down the power connections (everything looked fine)
• Pump seems to work fine, no issues starting or pumping water, made sure hose is high enough not to create a siphon
• Never used any sort of calcium reactor in the tank
• Every so often the level light flickers green
• Infrequently, none of the lights seem to want to be on (generally when the water is in the level position)
• Moved the circuit board a good 10ft away and put it on a separate circuit to make sure there was not a light/ballast interference

My Tank:
• 60 gal reef tank
• 80 gal overflow
• 10gal refugium

scarface70706
02/18/2012, 12:22 AM
i had this problem too. i used hot soapy water. i let the eye soak in a little mug of soapy hot water for 5 mins. i rubbed and cleaned they eye after its bath and then it worked perfect. also where is the eye located? are there a lot of bubbles around the eye? even when its refilling? can you post a pic of your setup?

h1pchek
02/18/2012, 10:54 AM
Ok, i will give that a try today. might take a day or so for the issue to reappear though. I will work on getting a picture uploaded in the meantime though.

thanks for the suggestion.

h1pchek
02/18/2012, 12:02 PM
weird, after i soaked the sensor in the hot soapy water and plugged everything back in, the system seemed to get stuck in the startup loop... it turned on, the green light blinked, the yellow light came on and the pump started up for 10-15 sec like normal - problem was that it simply kept repeating this process.

after the 4th/5th time i unplugged the power, plugged it in again, watched it go through the normal startup process and then it was fine... weird.

below should be two images i took of the osmolator:

reeftivo
02/18/2012, 12:58 PM
Contact Roger on the tunze sponsor forum.

Thats not normal

My osmollator has been running for years without a single sensor issue.

reeftivo
02/18/2012, 01:01 PM
Nice tunze 9410 there!

(-;

h1pchek
02/20/2012, 04:12 PM
thanks, used to have a smaller one but had issues with high nitrates and getting it going again every time i turned it off. the 9410 has worked wonders

reeftivo
02/20/2012, 05:32 PM
Any help from Roger on the Tunze forum?

off topic re; 9410

I ran mine with the foam extractor

seemed to press out the skimmate and could run the air more open
here's a skim pic from 3 days worth (dry on a small med load system)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2160&pictureid=36750

Tivo

h1pchek
02/23/2012, 08:07 PM
sorry, been busy with work lately.
I haven't reached out to Roger yet, the osmolator has actually been working properly the last 4-5 days, tweaked the height of the float a bit more and it has worked properly since - thought i'd wait it out and see a bit longer.

wow, thats a TON of nice dark junk pulled in just 3 days - im really loving my 9410 too :)

h1pchek
02/26/2012, 11:45 AM
And now it fails to detect low water levels. *sigh*
I reached out to Roger w Tunze, see what he suggests.

thanks guys.

TucanSam007
08/01/2012, 06:36 PM
Did you ever figure out what was wrong? Same exact scenario here. Shame because I got used to it being bullet proof then randomly started overfilling more and more.

Craig Borowski
08/02/2012, 08:08 AM
Did you ever figure out what was wrong? Same exact scenario here. Shame because I got used to it being bullet proof then randomly started overfilling more and more.
Sam, I've sent you a PM.

TucanSam007
08/03/2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks craig, shot you a pm. We'll get it figure'd out

TucanSam007
08/03/2012, 06:45 PM
Btw the soapy water trick worked for a day or two then back to normal. hmm..

110GTJ
05/02/2016, 07:38 AM
Good morning so I have had my osmolator for about 3 1/2 years or so. I use to have it in my large tank, and it sat dry for about a year. Now I set it up on my 40 gallon cube, and all of a sudden the optical sensor will not trigger the pump to fill. Everything else seems to be working perfect. Any help would be amazing thanks in advance

FishF00d
05/08/2016, 09:58 PM
Have you checked to see if the pump is still working. My pump died for this unit. I just got a replacement and now it looks like that one may also be dead.