PDA

View Full Version : Klunzinger's wrasse (Thalassoma rueppellii)

Manta
02/18/2012, 08:25 AM
Anybody with experience of these? Very rare in the UK, so I'm eager to find out how these get on with more peaceful tank members, especially smaller dottybacks and Halichoeres wrasses etc.

MrTuskfish
02/18/2012, 11:34 AM
I have one of these beautiful fish, and several others of the same genus. All great fish; if kept with proper tankmates. "Proper" meaning big. This genus is aggressive; especially toward toward smaller fish and they won't hesitate to try to eat a smaller fish. I think many small, thin Dottybacks would be in serious trouble.

Manta
02/18/2012, 12:39 PM
Excellent, I thought this was going to be a long shot.

Hmm, thats a worry - I have 3 dottybacks. Have you kept it with smaller Halichoeres - if so, how did they get along?

Does the Klunzinger's have a go at larger, non-wrasse fishes - in particular, I'm worried about aggression towards butterflies?

jjk_reef00
02/18/2012, 02:07 PM
I have a 7" klunzinger with a 3" angel and no problems. I think you would be fine with the B/Fs just make sure the B/F is esablished and is getting enough food because these wrasses are fast agressive eaters.

MrTuskfish
02/18/2012, 03:02 PM
Many sources call most Thalassoma wrasse to be 'aggressive". They don't really meet that definition, IMO. My Klunzinger's , like the rest of the genus, is very active and will go after any fish it consider's edible. However, he never bothers other fish at all. His tankmates include a few butterfly fish and they're fine together. There are some BF fish (like copperbands) that (IMO) wouldn't work well; because they just don't like extremely active, all-over-the-place fish, like Thalassomas.

Manta
02/19/2012, 06:08 AM
Thanks for info guys.

I take it sourcing Red Sea fishes is no problem in the states?