PDA

View Full Version : Program for ATO with pressure switch on breakout box?

LouH
02/18/2012, 11:26 AM
Historically I've used an Aqua-Medic ATO peristaltic pump and a magnetic float switch to control auto replenishment evaporative water loss. Over time either the float fails, the peristaltic pump tubing gets a tear in it, and in the most recent event, the plastic rotating mechanism attached to the motor cracked and can no longer be driven. I've finally had enough of this and am taking a new approach to deal with ATO. I've purchased a variable flow control diaphragm pump to replace the peristaltic pump, and a pressure switch level sensor for power outlet control. I have a DIY breakout box that my Apex controller sees, so I know that I can control the diaphragm pump electrical outlet via the pressure switch. Ideally the diaphragm pump would run continuously and be set to slightly outpace evaporation and the pump would get turned off when a high water level point is reached. I just don't know how to program the thing to make it work. I've searched this forum without luck. Can anyone out there lend me a hand?

Lou

swearint
02/18/2012, 12:07 PM
This is not any different than using a standard float switch. You have two basic approaches. Run the pump for a predetermined duration/cycle and use the switch as a safety backup. Alternatively, use the pressure switch to control the pump directly and for safety backup use a max run time interlock (ie if the pump runs longer than X minutes shut it off, issue alarms, require manual intervention).

Option one seems to be what you want. You will need to configure/wire the pressure switch so that it is normally closed (NC), and OPENS when the water reaches the critical level. This takes advantage of the default state of the Apex inputs. In other words, if the switch is disconnected, it treats it as a critical condition and shuts off the pump, etc. I also prefer to assign switches to virtual outlets so they can be named and will appear in the status.

[Sump_High]
Set OFF
If Switch1 OPEN Then ON

[ATO_Pump]
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Outlet Sump_High = ON Then OFF

Rather than running the pump continuously, you could also use an OSC command to cycle the pump throughout the day. Also, add the If Outlet command to the relevant alarm outlets.

Todd

LouH
02/18/2012, 12:37 PM
OK, I just realized that I don't know what I'm doing here. I assume that your first command is the breakout box command and the second is the power outlet that my pump is plugged into? The outlet programming is straight forward, but I need some help with the breakout box.

My breakout box is connected to a PM1 module. I see it (PM1 module) when I open up the "Module Setup" screen. From there I'm not sure what to do to see or control the breakout box. Can you help me out here?

swearint
02/18/2012, 01:39 PM
The Breakout Box is just an interface, it is not programmed. The switches are referenced within an outlet. The first outlet, Sump_High, is a virtual outlet.

There is a New Users Guide stickied at the top of the forum that is full of information on the Apex. I suggest starting there.

Todd

LouH
02/18/2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks Todd. I'll check it out.

LouH
02/18/2012, 04:58 PM
From the manual

"The BB is not a module and as such does not have to be added or setup in the base module. Plug in the cable from the BB to the base module and you can immediately begin using „switch1‟, „switch2, etc. in your program"

So, what this is saying is that I know that it is there but I can't see it? I just go into the ATO pump outlet setup and type in the command you provided earlier?

[Switch1]
Set OFF
If Switch1 OPEN Then ON

[ATO_Pump]
Fallback OFF
Set ON

LouH
02/18/2012, 05:19 PM
I tried it and it didn't work.

Another nice thing is that I updated all of my firmware and now I get a false alarm every 10 minutes for a power failure to my DC4. Awesome.

LouH
02/18/2012, 05:38 PM
From the manual:

If your PM1 is at AB #4, then the switches are named „switchx4_1‟ through „switchx4_6‟. If your PM1 is at AB #7, then the switches are named „switchx7_1‟ through „switchx7_6‟.

I think that this is where the issue is. When I first made my DIY breakout box a couple of months ago, I swear that it automatically generated a switchx4_1 etc. address somehwere in the computer interface. I cannot locate the switch ID anywhere. Should it automatically become available as soon as the Apex controller "sees" my PM1 which is connected to my breakout box? I know that the controller "sees" the PM1 because it IDs the probe and temp inputs. In my system the PM1 module is at address 006, so I would expect to see switchx6_1, etc.?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I've figured out that once I sort out the location of my switch address, programming the ATO pump will be straightforward.

Lou

Mark Bianco
02/18/2012, 07:46 PM
"In my system the PM1 module is at address 006, so I would expect to see switchx6_1, etc.?"

Yes the switches would be called out as Switchx6_1 thur Switchx6_6 Please note the S in switch is capitalized.

Mark

LouH
02/18/2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks Mark. Under which drop down menu can I locate "see" the switch names?

swearint
02/18/2012, 10:01 PM
There isn't one. Switches don't show up anywhere, you just reference them directly in code. That is why I mentioned using a virtual outlet for switches. Refer to the Guide for virtual outlets.

Todd

LouH
02/18/2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks Todd. I'm slowly putting it together.

On the virtual outlet, if I assign Switchx6_1 to the A1 address in the Display Configuration screen, can I then rename it "High Level" and use that in my programs?

For example, if I name Switchx6_1 "High Level", can I then go to my ATO pump outlet configuration page, go into the advanced page and use the command "If High Level is OPEN then ON"? In this condition the diaphragm pump I'm using for ATO will turn off when the pressure switch "seen" by the virtual outlet is closed?

Earlier you offered the following commands:

[Switch1]
Set OFF
If Switch1 OPEN Then ON

[ATO_Pump]
Fallback OFF
Set ON

Do you program both of these in the Advanced page for the ATO pump which in my case would be Energy Bar8, outlet 5?

LouH
02/19/2012, 08:07 AM
Ah success. Thanks guys! :)