PDA

View Full Version : Diving into the world of cubes...help!!

TruespeedEM1
02/19/2012, 10:33 AM
Hello everyone. I currently have a 120g (set up) and 265g (not set up, will be awhile) and the 265 will be a fowlr, which means I bought a couple of questionable reef safe fish (like a foxface and dwarf angel) and they are just letting my corals have it. When I get the 265 set up I will be selling the 120g, so Im thinking of just getting a small cube (29g) and making that my reef. The 120g doesn't have a lot of corals, but it does have LPS, SPS, and a clam.

Im looking at either an Oceanic or JBJ tank, but there are so many variations I'm unsure of which one I want. I figured with SPS I would have to use the HQI version of the Biocube, but would the JBJ Intermediate LED kit work for SPS and clams? Really cannot find a solid answer on this. Has anyone tried keeping SPS in a regular lighting Biocube?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as always.

ChrisAnator03
02/19/2012, 10:44 AM
Well i had the bio cube and i no many people like them i just didnt like it at all it had decent filtering and such but i moved to a 24x24x12 cube which i love now i made the tank from scratch drilled it and added a sump 10 g. then afted i found a t5 fixture 8 bulbs which is 24x24in so i looked clean but the biocube had many restictions that i didnt like and my set up cost around 400 bucks around the same price of a biocube hqi

TruespeedEM1
02/19/2012, 12:54 PM
appreciate that!

Looking for more experiences of the Oceanic vs. JBJ. I really like the All-in-one simplicity of these and want to avoid external sumps and such because I will be dealing with that with the 265.

Anyone else?

Harley20
02/19/2012, 02:15 PM
appreciate that!

Looking for more experiences of the Oceanic vs. JBJ. I really like the All-in-one simplicity of these and want to avoid external sumps and such because I will be dealing with that with the 265.

Anyone else?

I purchased a 29 BC and have it up and running now since November. I do like it and it is simple. I have made a few minor modifications on it such as media basket and skimmer in the the second chamber. Other than that it is pretty stock. I have the standard pc lights so what I can grow is limited but I am happy with it. I did hear that JBJ has or is coming out with a rimless tank which sounds really cool. I think with either JBJ or BC you would be happy. If you want LEDs and to have the freedom of any corals then JBJ would probably be the best. If you just want LPS and Softies then you can do the BC.

TruespeedEM1
02/19/2012, 03:07 PM
So you didnt have luck with regular lighting for SPS so it looks like the HQI is the verdict unless someone chimes in about the JBJ intermediate.

Harley20
02/19/2012, 05:15 PM
So you didnt have luck with regular lighting for SPS so it looks like the HQI is the verdict unless someone chimes in about the JBJ intermediate.

I didnt even attempt SPS because of what I was told. I would go HQI or LED. I was going to go HQI but I didnt want to purchase a chiller. I think LEDs may run cooler.

TruespeedEM1
02/19/2012, 05:36 PM
They have two different LED choices and i dont know if the intermediate will work

ange062
02/19/2012, 06:21 PM
The intermediate is not enough light for clams or SPS. Go with the advanced version or the new 30g rimless with a fixture if your choice (light not included).

TruespeedEM1
02/19/2012, 06:43 PM
Haven't seen that yet, looking at it now. It says dual overflow is it like the other cubes with the filtration in the back or is it drilled?

ange062
02/19/2012, 08:04 PM
Haven't seen that yet, looking at it now. It says dual overflow is it like the other cubes with the filtration in the back or is it drilled?

AIO, same as the others (filtration in the back). Would pair really nicely worth an AI SOL or Radion light :)

I've been looking forward to someone around here getting one!

TruespeedEM1
02/19/2012, 09:20 PM
im looking at them now, cant seem to find a stand, why would they build all of these cubes with matching stands and not pair one with these?

ange062
02/19/2012, 11:54 PM
im looking at them now, cant seem to find a stand, why would they build all of these cubes with matching stands and not pair one with these?

It's a new release, they just came out about a week ago. That style of tank (rimless) typically caters to a more advanced/style minded crowd that would be inclined to build a custom stand. That being said, I'm sure JBJ is working on some type of stand to sell, it just hasn't been released yet.

TruespeedEM1
02/20/2012, 10:19 AM
I went on and got the Biocube HQI, it was on sale and it will have everything I need to grow whatever I want. Hopefully I can keep the heat down! pretty excited to get it. Went on and ordered a phoenix 14k as well.

ange062
02/20/2012, 11:05 AM
Nice choice!! An Azoo fan will help to keep it cool, or best case would be a chiller. Look forward to your build thread!