PDA

View Full Version : N. Wennerae vs foam/rock wall?

Jodah
02/19/2012, 02:37 PM
Seeing as I have an addiction that has yet to be fulfilled, I sit staring at my 5.5g tank that is completely empty. I also remember coming across the foam/rock wall thread in the DIY section and love the way they look. It gives such a natural feeling to the tank.

main question is, will the mantis try to smash its way through the rock wall?

I'll be providing some sort of burrow for him/her in a small island. As well as some various caves they could potentially want. (within reason of course, this is only a 5.5g after all)

twiggyb
02/19/2012, 03:29 PM
I've never had any of mine smash through it that I've seen. Maybe on the inside of the burrows I made, but I put piping to make them. Right in the middle whet they intersect is open foam that I coated with epoxy used in the train hobby.

Here's a link to my build on it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1788767

Jodah
02/19/2012, 04:01 PM
Awesome! Good to know at least someone has done the same thing that i want to do. :-P

I also have a 10g and the more I think about it, the more I feel I should do the 10g as an AIO with the rock wall. Give the guy more space especially seeing as I already have the tank. (was going to be a sump, but that whole shenanigan got put on hold)

ritter6788
02/20/2012, 11:05 AM
I have a large rock wall in my 20 gallon with N. wennerae. He hasn't smashed into it that I know of but there are other rocks in there that it burrows in. I'm sure if that was the only rock in there the mantis would do whatever it wanted with it. Mine has a lot of actual live rock on it so there is plenty of room for him to make a burrow it he wants.

Jacwil
02/20/2012, 11:52 AM
Very cool!!!!

One thing though...I thought that the Great Stuff foam has turned out to be NOT safe?!?

I just read this: "DO NOT USE GREAT STUFF (it leeches phermaldohide for up to 6 months)"

twiggyb
02/20/2012, 11:55 AM
I've never had a problem that I am aware of. I think as long as you coat everything in epoxy it should be fine. I've had that wall for over two years now with no issues.

Jacwil
02/20/2012, 12:02 PM
That's good to hear Twiggy!!! Any updated pics? Love the idea!!!

twiggyb
02/20/2012, 12:31 PM
I'll try snap some pics when I get home.

Jacwil
02/20/2012, 12:35 PM
:beer:

Jodah
02/20/2012, 12:54 PM
Yeah, the regular great stuff while cheap needs to be covered in epoxy and sand/crushed coral due to not having an UV protection. So it degrades over time if not properly covered. The product I use is Touch N Foam Landscape. It has the required UV protection in it.

I think for now I'll do the 5.5g, and if need be, I could always do up the 10g. Gonna use a mini-jet 606, Eheim Jager 50w. Lighting will be super simple assuming I can find the correct sockets. I'm looking for the same or similar sockets that Mud Hawk used in his 5.5g build.