PDA

View Full Version : Adding 2 Clows To Cycled Tank

nyknicks4412
02/19/2012, 03:56 PM
I have a 10 gallon nano tank with 10 lbs of live rock purchased from an established tank, 10 lbs of live sand, AT0, protein skimmer and hob ac 70 fuge running chaeto, chemipure elite and purigen which in theory should keep my parameters fairly stable. The tank finished cycling about a week ago and that was when my parameters have all hit 0. I believe there was very minimal die off on the rock due to it being purchased from an established system and getting put into my system quickly.

My question is, I want to pair up 2 clownfish for my livestock. Upon reading techniques to pair them it seems the easiest way to do this is to introduce both to the tank at the same time, one being slightly smaller than the other.

Can I introduce 2 clownfish so close to a finished cycle without doing harm to the fish or seeing a spike in ammonia? I will be close to a really good LFS on Tuesday and would love to pick these up if it will be ok. The LFS said it would but I wanted to check on here as well. Don't want to put too much stress on the bioload but it would workout great if I could get them Tuesday.

My cleanup crew was purchased from reefcleaners.org and due to the holiday will arrive on Friday. I have read that it shouldn't be an issue introducing a fish before the cleanup crew. I have aiptasia and plan on snagging a peppermint shrimp on Tuesday as well if you guys think that would work too.

Just want to say I am trying to do everything right. Plan on drip acclimating all my purchases and know the key is to take it slow. I really am not trying to rush but if it works out that I can do this it would be great! The LFS isn't so local so when I am close I would like to take advantage of it.

nyknicks4412
02/19/2012, 04:02 PM
meant to add that the clownfish are well under an inch...and will hold off on the shrimp if it means I can get the two clowns.

Oppee
02/19/2012, 04:10 PM
imo i would wait a couple more weeks, clowns are very hardy but at the same time your tank is only 10 gallons so 2 clowns introduced this early would be a huge bio load on the system.

agruetz
02/19/2012, 04:29 PM
Do not do it! I made this mistake with a 10 gallon setup and I lost a clown in the process. Take it slow. 10 Gallons goes whacky FAST. I spent week 1/2 of daily water changes because I made this mistake and still lost 1 clown. Take it slow, add 1 small clown in a few weeks if all looks good add another, I also backed up my filtration with an ammonia removal pad, and switched from carbon to purigen and phosguard in my HOB filter which is rated for a 60 gallon (I over filter a lot). So best advice I can give is go slow.

agruetz
02/19/2012, 04:30 PM
Do not do it! I made this mistake with a 10 gallon setup and I lost a clown in the process. Take it slow. 10 Gallons goes whacky FAST. I spent week 1/2 of daily water changes because I made this mistake and still lost 1 clown. Take it slow, add 1 small clown in a few weeks if all looks good add another, I also backed up my filtration with an ammonia removal pad, and switched from carbon to purigen and phosguard in my HOB filter which is rated for a 60 gallon (I over filter a lot). So best advice I can give is go slow.

dunc101
02/19/2012, 04:33 PM
I would probably wait a couple of more weeks as well. While you are waiting, I would try to get rid of the aiptasia if you can. You can get a syringe and use boiling water and inject it directly in the mouth to kill the aiptasia. You can also try Joe's Juice or use some kalkwasser paste. Peppermint shrimp sometimes work, and sometimes don't work from what I have read.

nyknicks4412
02/19/2012, 04:36 PM

how long did you wait after you cycle finished to add two at once? and what were your parameters at when you added them? I am curious. Would just adding one be better?

nyknicks4412
02/19/2012, 04:37 PM
I would probably wait a couple of more weeks as well. While you are waiting, I would try to get rid of the aiptasia if you can. You can get a syringe and use boiling water and inject it directly in the mouth to kill the aiptasia. You can also try Joe's Juice or use some kalkwasser paste. Peppermint shrimp sometimes work, and sometimes don't work from what I have read.

I have tried to use hot water and lemon juice but have had little success. Have you heard of aiptasia-x? Might try that. Definitely getting a peppermint shrimp at some point because I just think they are cool so if it doesn't kill the aiptasia it won't be a big deal.

nyknicks4412
02/19/2012, 04:42 PM
imo i would wait a couple more weeks, clowns are very hardy but at the same time your tank is only 10 gallons so 2 clowns introduced this early would be a huge bio load on the system.

thats what I was worried about...would adding one now and another in two weeks be a smarter move? just really want them to pair up.

Oppee
02/19/2012, 05:34 PM
You have a good chance of them pairing up! I would wait couple weeks and add one, month later add another if your water is in quality is good.

agruetz
02/19/2012, 06:03 PM
how long did you wait after you cycle finished to add two at once? and what were your parameters at when you added them? I am curious. Would just adding one be better?

Tank parameters were perfect.

PH 8.3
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Phosphates: 0
dKH: 12
Calcium: 460 - 480
Magnesium: 1360 - 1380

Tank cycled for about 1 month. I also started using stability it seems to help a lot in keeping the good bacteria going and growing at a quick rate. My tank is about 2 1/2 - 3 months old now. I am starting to see good carolina algae growth. My female black clown is the one that made it so. I waited about 3 weeks before adding the male. They paired up almost instantly. Basically I watched my water like a hawk, once it was stable for 2 straight weeks, I added the second clown. I am using 10lbs of live rock (it is 1 giant rock), and 10 lbs of live sand. My tank is pretty well stocked at this point, 2 clowns, 1 queen conch, 1 fungia plate, 1 welso brain, 5 - 6 nerite snails, 6 - 8 tiny blue leg hermits, 1 green star polyp colony and 2 zoa frags/colonies. I may add 1 or 2 more zoa frags but that will be about it. Keep in mind I control water parameters very tightly, I test bi-weekly and 20 - 40% water changes once a week. I also feed very lightly, and over filter w/ an aqua clear 110 HOB. I run a JBJ ATO system as well to make sure it stays topped off and use nothing but RODI water and reef crystals salt for my mix. I dos Reef Code A/B from bright well and baking soda to keep my alk up daily. It will vary per tank and what you have but I have to dos 2ml of Reef Code A and B w/ 3ml of baking soda mixed water to maintain 4ml to increase. And for lighting I have a 20in T5 w/ 2 blue and 2 white bulbs from aquatic life. Also when I do my water changes I turn on a power head for about 2 - 3 min and it sorta simulates a storm in the tack and stirs up all the stuff out of the rocks so I can suck it out. I hope this information helps you in your idea's for stocking and maintaining this small reef . Let me know if you have any questions I will be happy to try and answer them as I have the same size system and went thru start up just 3 months ago.

nyknicks4412
02/19/2012, 06:51 PM
Ok thanks for the ideas! I will definitely look into some of those corals. Seems like you have a good setup.

What do you guys think about adding just the shrimp to remove the aiptasia?

agruetz
02/19/2012, 07:09 PM
It will increase your bioload, just keep that in mind. I have no idea about how good they are at eating aiptasia, however I recommend you get that killed off before adding coral's, I have heard they are highly aggressive. I have never had to deal with them though. Make sure to coral dip any coral's you get.

nyknicks4412
02/19/2012, 07:14 PM
Ya I think that it should be ok with the shrimp...my tanks rocks came from a mature system thats been running for 2 plus years and there was very minimal if any die off on the rocks. Thats why I figured I could get away with at least adding a single clown especially due to the small size I will be getting.

I plan on dipping too...what solution do you use? I have seen a few at the LFS and online and read that iodine works as well. The aiptasia are fairly limited (maybe 2-3 tiny ones) but they are there so I will get rid of them before corals for sure.

agruetz
02/19/2012, 07:22 PM
I use revive, seems to work I hear coral RX is good too but I have not tried it. I am guessing you should be good with a shrimp and the clown, but remember slow is better. I would probably add the clown one week next week the shrimp. Wait a few weeks then the other clown. Wait a bit and you can start adding the coral's anemone (be careful that can get big) I have plans to upgrade so I got one. My clown's will not touch it though LOL. Like I said I made the newbie mistake of adding way to much to fast, so I am overlay cautions now, but I am guessing the shrimp and 1 small clown would be ok to start with.

nyknicks4412
02/19/2012, 09:27 PM
haha i hear you. plans now to get the shrimp and cnc in and wait a week and watch params. if all is well ill get my clown.