PDA

View Full Version : Hitchicker ID please

Lucian
02/19/2012, 04:27 PM
Found this little guy in the overflow, seen him hiding in the rocks the other day. I'm just wondering would he be of any harm to my hermits?!

gobymasters
02/19/2012, 07:54 PM
looks like a mithrax crab its semi- aggressive so i would be very cautious.

rambochu
02/19/2012, 10:03 PM
It doesn't have the right shape to be a Mithrax. It doesn't look like it's hairy, either. If I had to guess, maybe a trapezia crab? They have flat faces, smooth carapaces, and really kind of dangerous looking claws. They're harmless and live symbiotically in SPS.

I also would be surprised to hear of a small crab taking down an equivalently sized hermit.

Of course, a better picture would help a lot.

Sugar Magnolia
02/20/2012, 08:44 AM
Toss it in the sump.

Lucian
02/20/2012, 08:49 AM
This the best pic of it i have. I've put him back in the tank. I was just thinking that he's probably in there since i got the live rock in the tank, and i only added the hermits about three weeks ago and they all seem ok. Would have put him in the sump but i dont have one... Thanks for the feedback guys.

GerritM
02/20/2012, 09:40 AM
Hi!
The pic is not good enough for an real ID, but it could be an Pachygrapsus, maybe a P. minutus.

BEASTIEPENDENT
02/26/2012, 06:01 AM
Ffffffffewh, that pic is too small indeed. But from the front shape it indeed looks like a Grapsoidea (and Pachygrapsus is a genus of the family Grapsidae) and Gerrit might be right.

Do You have a reef tank or did You collect at the Atlantic Yourself?