PDA

View Full Version : 60" Tank, 4 AI SOL or 2 EcoTech Radions

JAStoodz
02/19/2012, 08:34 PM
I know this is a topic that will have a lot of opinions, but I need help coming up with a firm decision on which light I am going to go with for my tank. The tank will be 60"Lx24"Wx26"H. I have the funds to either purchase 4 ai sol units or 2 ecotech radions. I will be running a ReefKeeper Elite controller.

Please tell me which you would choose and the reasons why.

Thanks!

Edit: A few other hopefully helpful bits of info to help: Tank will be a mixed reef, going to do a 2 "island" style rockscape. Can get the lights as high as 14" off of the water surface

Brando457
02/19/2012, 09:03 PM
Seriously go with 4 AIs you will have more than enough light and be more than happy. 2 ecotechs on that tank will not be enough power and you'll be disappointed.

PLEASE PLEASE get the AIs, I used to own the ecotech and while the concept is good the price and since it is Version 1 is too new to be good.

mr86mister
02/19/2012, 09:39 PM
The Radion is an amazing fixture but for shallower systems due to them not having focusing optics. Great spread over a large area but not very good on anything deeper than 20 inches. I would go with the AI because of this. Of course, per usual, this is IMO and IME.

rtparty
02/20/2012, 12:20 AM
Seriously go with 4 AIs you will have more than enough light and be more than happy. 2 ecotechs on that tank will not be enough power and you'll be disappointed.

PLEASE PLEASE get the AIs, I used to own the ecotech and while the concept is good the price and since it is Version 1 is too new to be good.

:facepalm:

OP,

I would go with 2 - 24" Ecoxotic Panorama PRO fixtures if it were me and add a module to each fixture. You will stay below your budget and have a better fixture than AI for sure.

LinkinReef
02/20/2012, 02:17 AM
You could also hold on and wait for the AI Vega to come out. I have a radion on a 34 Solana and its great. I'm setting up a 48x24x20 and I'm going to wait for the Vega and see how it compares to the radion and from there I'll decide to get the extra radion or go with AI Vega.

craftyfish
02/20/2012, 02:45 AM
If you look at vertex illumina, it also has 3 spectrum LED, like AI. So considering radion does have green and red led, hard to say if that is proven to be better than white/blue/royal blue LED setup.

I would go with 4 AI, better depth, great coverage/versatility, and AI pucks are modular, along with their optics.

I have AI Sol Blue, and I love it.

ant1k
02/20/2012, 02:49 AM
from what ive read so far, radions cant punch down through deep tanks.

i have a 60" x 18" x 26"d tank and 4 AI SOL blues. im really happy with them, so is my mixed reef sps/lps dominant. some softies.

Mixed_Reef
03/17/2012, 06:57 PM
from what ive read so far, radions cant punch down through deep tanks.

i have a 60" x 18" x 26"d tank and 4 AI SOL blues. im really happy with them, so is my mixed reef sps/lps dominant. some softies.

My tank is 60x18x20 and i have 3 with good coverage.

Mixed_Reef
03/17/2012, 07:03 PM
I know this is a topic that will have a lot of opinions, but I need help coming up with a firm decision on which light I am going to go with for my tank. The tank will be 60"Lx24"Wx26"H. I have the funds to either purchase 4 ai sol units or 2 ecotech radions. I will be running a ReefKeeper Elite controller.

Thanks!

Edit: A few other hopefully helpful bits of info to help: Tank will be a mixed reef, going to do a 2 "island" style rockscape. Can get the lights as high as 14" off of the water surface

With that tank dimension I would go with atleast 5 vertically. Or 3 radions but like previously stated, their made for shallow tanks and would not be good enough for ur tank.

Mixed_Reef
03/17/2012, 07:10 PM
If you look at vertex illumina, it also has 3 spectrum LED, like AI. So considering radion does have green and red led, hard to say if that is proven to be better than white/blue/royal blue LED setup.

I would go with 4 AI, better depth, great coverage/versatility, and AI pucks are modular, along with their optics.

I have AI Sol Blue, and I love it.

The Vertex Illumina is the biggest POS ever. Worthless LED system and stupidly over priced!

chadfarmer
03/17/2012, 09:07 PM
3 Apollos LED

mori
03/17/2012, 09:32 PM
This is my biggest issue as well my tank it's 48x18x31 and I dunno witch one to or how many for that matter

Canadaguy
03/18/2012, 12:27 AM

Thanks!

I currently have 2 Radions on my 4x2x2 120g and they look awesome and will have 3 going on my 6x2x2 180g build. I have owned both fixtures side by side and the Radion is superior in almost every way. Main reasons are: way nicer colour spectrum on the Radions as myself I didn't like the look of the colour on the AI's. The Radion is wireless, sleeker nicer looking fixture, better programming, and better spread. You need 2 AI's to one Radion so to keep the Radions for me was a no brainer.

fng_71
06/04/2012, 08:23 PM
the radions are rated for 24x24x24 per unit for optimal performance. the only thing i don't like about the ai sol is the optics. i have a shallow tank so i'd have to spend extra cash to change the 40 optics to all 70 optics. maybe i've misread info but i think it should be an even swap. also for deeper tanks i like the look of the orphek nilus. deep penetration and dimmable.