PDA

View Full Version : What lighting to choose

sample789
02/20/2012, 01:37 AM
So me and my friend are renting a house and we bought a 175 oceanic bowfront tank. Tank is great except it didnt come with lights. We are gonna take my 55 reef down and put it in this tank only problem is we are on a budget and are having trouble finding strong enough lights. I was thinking of maybe starting with 2 LED panels but ive been iffy on them because i dont know how much power they put out compared to say halides. Also there a bit pricey so i guess my question is has anyone come across some good deals on MH lights or LEDs. The tank is 60" long not exactly sure how deep. If i got LED panels can you tell me how many LEDs id need to grow Sps.

Mark Bianco
02/20/2012, 05:01 AM
I cannot say for all led fixtures, but an AI SOL hanging 8" above the water line and a 21" deep tank. That fixture has 24 led's puts out 200 plus par under the fixture, Better then a good 250 watt bulb. and it does not put out any heat. No need so far for a chiller... IMHO Led's are the way to go. Just do some reasearch as to what optics you may want to use. Generaly speaking a commercial led fixture like AI's or Radions (a few more led's) state they has a spread of 24" x 24" and lighting at 30" should not be a problem.

Mark

sirreal63
02/20/2012, 06:12 AM
With the dimensions of 72.5 x 24 x 28.5 inches, you will need at least 4 AI's with tight optics to penetrate. If your budget would only allow for a couple AI's, I would wait a while on LEDS and go with LumenBrite fixtures and 250 watt bulbs. If you have the stock Oceanic short hood, you may want to look at ATI T5 fixtures or LET retro reflectors. You can still get the PAR but in a shallower hood. They did make a tall canopy for that tank, which would work with the halides just fine. It will depend on the canopy situation and what your goals are for the tank. I have seen some very nice reefs set up in that tank, but the dimensions are not easy or cheap to light. 3-250 watt halides would be ideal.

Mark...I don't know who sold you on the 200 PAR on the sand with a 21" tall tank was better than a good 250 watt bulb, but they mislead you. I get double that with a 150 watt fixture. Please do not mislead people with anecdotal information. I know you are trying to be helpful, and that is always appreciated, but the information needs to be as accurate as possible. :-)