PDA

View Full Version : New to the Hobby might have gotten in over head

theboy084
02/20/2012, 08:58 PM
As stated I am new to the hobby I started small with the intention of "maybe
I wont like it, why would i get a 200 gallon tank and end up selling it?" More to the point I have had an Atlantic blue tang for 2 months now, it acclimated quickly to the tank and quickly started eating both mysis shrimp and formula 2 flakes along with a maroon clown fish i had gotten about a month before are now showing signs of white spots on them. I don't think it is ich because ich seems to be more under the "skin" kind of disease (so i hear). Below is a video of the two fish in question. It is a 55 gallon reef tank, water changes have been done every 3 weeks since September when the tank was first established. Currently there is a cleaner shrimp, Blue/green Chromis, hermit crabs about 10, 3 six line wrasses and a naso tang. yes i know both the tangs will out grow the tank he just fell behind in rent and is currently saving up before he can move out to bigger and better things. I know it was stupid of me to get both tangs in such a small tank but a friend was tearing down his tank and was GIVING him to me i couldn't refuse. I added the naso this last weekend and i fear it is what is causeing the stress even though they seem to be getting along quite well now.

http://youtu.be/CRfC9S6sVAI

Kitsune_Gem
02/21/2012, 12:42 AM
Looks like ick to me, its hard to tell though. Did you qt the fist at all before adding them to the display tank?

Can you get a still photo of them?

Kitsune_Gem
02/21/2012, 12:43 AM
Double post sorry

sandwi54
02/21/2012, 12:12 PM
The large white spotches on the body don't look like ich, but the white dots on the pectoral fins are. Ich shows up as fine, sugar-grain white dots on the body. It is true that the ich organism is buried under the skin, but the white dots, which are skin's reaction to the ich invasion, do show on the body, and that is what we see.

Cleaner fish/shrimps cannot get to the ich cyst as they are buried well under the skin. The only treatments for ich are hyposalinity, copper, and tank transfer, all of which need to be performed in a QT. Read the ich stickies in this forum so you can learn more about ich.

Since you were given the tangs, there's not much you can do other than pulling all of the fish out into a QT for treatment, while leaving the DT fallow for 10 weeks. Do note that the 55g is too small for the naso tang, no matter how small it is right now (unless it's only 3"). This fish is genetically built to swim, long and hard distances. You will soon need to get a much bigger tank, with at least a 96"x30" footprint.

MrTuskfish
02/21/2012, 02:34 PM
^^^^^&^Absolutly!^^^^
BTW, that isn't a Maroon Clownfish; its a Cinnamon Clownfish.

snorvich
02/21/2012, 05:56 PM
What they said so eloquently.

enjetek
02/21/2012, 06:27 PM
Also 3 sixline wrasses might not be a good idea wih that size tank.

theboy084
02/21/2012, 09:22 PM
Unfortunately no i do not have a good enough camera to get a still theses guys are always on the move and my lethargic camera inst quick enough for them. sorry for the ignorance but the in pulling these fish out and into the display should i put even the ones that aren't showing symptoms yet? Yes i know too small a tank am in the market if anyone in the Greater Los Angeles area has a 6' long tank with a reasonable price range i would be more than glad to make an offer.

enjetek
02/22/2012, 01:00 AM
Yes medicate all of your fish or else it will keep returning.