PDA

View Full Version : power failure and rebooting

ReefJonser
02/20/2012, 10:20 PM
i am just setting up my new apex, and plunking around with it just on my desk, and thought i would test the inevitable power outage.

i physically pulled the plugs from both the EB8 and EB4, waiting 15 minutes, then plugged back in.

so far (2 hours later), the status lights are still blinking orange, and the apex display is blank.

Was this not an adequate test of a power failure? Sure seems like the system should come back online though.

aquamanic
02/21/2012, 08:03 AM
If it doesn't restart in a couple of minutes, it never will. The entire boot process is under a minute.

You may just have to try it again but when it does restart, double check your firmware version as there were issues with power failure handling that have been fixed. A new unit should be current but you never know.

ReefJonser
02/21/2012, 08:24 AM
thanks. firmware = 4.11_11AA

swearint
02/21/2012, 08:34 AM
Contact Neptune support: support@neptunesys.com

Todd

ReefJonser
02/22/2012, 01:15 PM
update: my apex conroller will reboot succesffuly after my power failure emulation of unplugging the EB8 and EB4 power chords, EXCEPT if the ethernet cable is still plugged in!

That is, as long as my computer network is on and live, and i unplug the power chords, the apex will not reboot.

Is there an explanation why leaving the network intact will prevent the apex status from returning after a power failure?

tia

L8ndeb
02/22/2012, 01:29 PM
That's an interesting bug...........................tagging along.

aquamanic
02/22/2012, 01:43 PM
Do what Todd suggested. You've got something wrong with the controller.

ReefJonser
02/23/2012, 03:42 PM
Do what Todd suggested. You've got something wrong with the controller.

UPDATE: still cannot get the apex to reboot while connected to a network (it will reboot with an ethernet cable plugged in that IS NOT connected to the router, so its not the ethernet connecting port). I still have a few more tests to do (crash the computer, crash the router, etc) to see how the apex responds, but i am not impressed with a fail at this test.

how does a router interfere with the Apex communications to the EB or even getting to green status?

Paul at Neptune has no idea why, but we are still troubleshooting (he was concerned with the integrity of the network cable that came with the system, but i have tried several different cables)

aquamanic
02/23/2012, 04:19 PM
some kind of a short?

I assume you've tried it on different router ports - i.e. plug the controller in where another working device is currently?

RussM
02/23/2012, 09:03 PM
What kind of router?

See if the same thing occurs when the controller is connected to a different device... a PC, a switch, or a different router if you can.

ReefJonser
02/24/2012, 12:06 AM
What kind of router?

See if the same thing occurs when the controller is connected to a different device... a PC, a switch, or a different router if you can.

well, i think its a bad Bus chord as i have successfully achieved green-status with the first chord and not the other (unit comes with 2). unfortunately it also could be one of the 2 bus ports on the Apex or one of the 6 bus ports on the EB8 as i did not want to keep plugging and unplugging all the possible permutations with the chance of frying something. Ive asked Neptune the same question, and will post their reply.

PS - i have all 4 ports in use, and have swapped 3 different cables and devices among all 4 ports and zero issues - all go online.

Much thanks for the support,

Darren