PDA

View Full Version : What do you clean a used tank with

offroadr
02/23/2012, 08:44 AM
Just vinegar and water? I have a used 20g that was freshwater that I want to use as a quarentine tanks.

SeedlessOne
02/23/2012, 08:49 AM
Yep you got it.

oki_reefer
02/23/2012, 09:04 AM
vinegar, water and a plastic putty knife. rinse well.

NirvanaFan
02/23/2012, 11:04 AM
Any acid will due. For a 20 gallon, vinegar will work fine. I've never had a fresh water tank get junk stuck to the sides to bad. I would use vinegar and a rag to scrub the tank.

If the tank is really grubby, you can always soak it. Just lay the tank on it's side/end to soak them.

fpv930
02/23/2012, 11:22 AM
I set up the tank with all the equipment and run a vinegar mixture. Once drained I then refill and run again with a small amount of bleach. After that I fill again to rinse clean. It works very well. The tank and equipment will look like new!

small alien
02/23/2012, 11:25 PM
If its glass, a razor blade is your friend.

cordell
02/24/2012, 07:29 AM
Yeah, let it soak in a water/vinegar mix at least for a little while before you go to scrubbing. Kinda like washing dishes... it's always easier if you soak them in water/soap first. Instead of scrubbing, you just wipe it off, more or less.

If you don't want to fill up the whole tank to soak, just take your rag and soak it with your mixture and rub it all over the tank to get it wet. Or use a spray bottle. Keep it wet though... and then get to scrubbing!

RiddleEagle18
02/24/2012, 08:34 AM
Wear some gloves. I just finished cleaning my sump with vinegar and my hands hurt. 125g is up next. I let it sit for an hour or so and it came off pretty easy.

NirvanaFan
02/24/2012, 10:08 AM
For large tanks, using muriatic acid is usually easier (and cheaper). That is what I did with my 75 gallon. Use a 20:1 mixture of water to acid. Fill up the tank (almost full) with water and add the acid.

If you do use muriatic acid, always wear goggles. Gloves are a good thing too. Use it in a well ventilated area (like outside), and don't breathe in the fumes. Always add acid to water, not the other way around.