PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish breathing hard, resting on bottom

velvetelvis
02/23/2012, 10:52 AM
Apologies for double-posting this topic here and in the disease forum, but I wanted to cover all my bases.

I have two maroon clownfish that I added to my tank this past weekend. After testing the water I realized that the salinity was high (1.030), so I brought it down over the course of several days through small water changes (replacing the SW with FW). The problems with the distressed clownfish began before the water changes. Parameters are as follows:

78 F
No detectable nitrates
No detectable phosphates
No detectable ammonia
Salinity 1.025-1.027

The tank finished cycling in late November. The only other inhabitants include two cleaner shrimp, a black brittle star, and other small inverts (stomatella and a couple of nassarius snails).

The female clownfish appears to be in perfect health. The male, however, is not doing well. He breathes hard, swims slowly and awkwardly, and spends most of his time resting on his belly at the bottom of the tank. The female hasn't been picking on him: she will actually swim over to him once in a while and nudge him gently.

He doesn't have any obvious symptoms that my inexpert eyes can see: no torn fins, wounds, sores, parasites hanging out of mouth or gills, stringy poop, slime coating--nothing. As far as I can tell, his gills look OK. He has one or two tiny white spots on him this morning, but that's it. His fins are losing color at the edges and his stripes are darkened (stress?). This has been going on for two or three days. He seemed to perk up a little after the most recent water change, but his condition looks worse this morning.

I don't know much about these fishes' history, since they were both trade-ins. The people I got them from are pretty sure they were captive-bred, but there's no way of knowing for sure. They were both thriving and in apparently perfect health when I got them just a few days ago.

Is it possible that this is osmotic shock, or maybe ich appearing due to the stress of osmotic shock? The salinity at the LFS was 1.025. Unfortunately I didn't think to test mine before even acclimating the fish, which goes to show you that you can make stupid, basic mistakes even when you've been in the hobby a few years. :(

zeeter
02/23/2012, 11:27 AM
How often does the fish actually swim around? When he swims is it labored? Are there other signs of distress?

Without the heavy breathing I was going to suggest possibly that it is an only partially inflated swim bladder. When that happens it is much more difficult to swim. Some fish don't inflate them at all and therefore can't swim at all.

Try a fresh water rinse - think it's fifteen minutes but check elsewhere. If it's ich then that might kill it.

velvetelvis
02/23/2012, 01:26 PM
How often does the fish actually swim around? When he swims is it labored? Are there other signs of distress?

Without the heavy breathing I was going to suggest possibly that it is an only partially inflated swim bladder. When that happens it is much more difficult to swim. Some fish don't inflate them at all and therefore can't swim at all.

Try a fresh water rinse - think it's fifteen minutes but check elsewhere. If it's ich then that might kill it.

He's able to swim, but not strongly. He doesn't go far and gets blown around a bit if he enters the current. He was swimming fine at the LFS.

To my eye at least, there aren't any other obvious signs of distress, other than the increased respiration, lethargy, and lack of appetite.

gg1111
02/23/2012, 06:01 PM
had a clownfish that was bloated and constapated he couldn't poop, with all of your clowns symptoms, added epsom salt to the tank to help him poop! he was fine after that,dont know if the epsom salt worked but he finally went to the bathroom!! hope your clown gets better!!

Drichards36
02/23/2012, 08:44 PM
I had a clown that didn't make it and showed same signs as yours. Mine happened after owning him for 2 years, never figured out why he died, never affected the other fish.

Dragon moray ki
02/23/2012, 08:55 PM
Giv shim an enema

velvetelvis
02/23/2012, 11:11 PM
I had a clown that didn't make it and showed same signs as yours. Mine happened after owning him for 2 years, never figured out why he died, never affected the other fish.

He didn't make it. I had the feeling he wouldn't, as he was lying on his side and gasping earlier. I just went to check on him a few minutes ago and found him covered with nassarius snails. Poor little booger. :sad2:

I'm sorry to hear that the same thing happened to you, but glad at least it didn't affect your other clown...it gives me hope for my female, who seems perfectly fine. I'll get a tiny captive-bred GSM and try pairing her off again. I'm really disappointed, though...the male I just lost was beautiful.

gg1111
02/24/2012, 11:00 AM
Sorry about the little guy. Its gonna be depressing for the female,and will be difficult to pair her with another boy or juvie. Good luck!

velvetelvis
02/24/2012, 01:52 PM
Sorry about the little guy. Its gonna be depressing for the female,and will be difficult to pair her with another boy or juvie. Good luck!

Thanks. They'd only been together a few days, so they weren't a bonded pair yet. We'll see how it goes...

micgloth18
02/25/2016, 10:08 PM
okay this crap just happened to my clown. He was in there by himself and all the tests were negative, phosphates, nitrate, nitrites, ammonia. He was the only one in the tank. Captive breed bought as a baby he was 6 months old about. He had no signs of illness or slime. He was extremely pale. He was a black and white, except he was at this point white and gray. Anyone know what causes this he was my favorite fish and my most expensive. I had just bought him a nw led light strip for his tank. I would love to know I can't figure it out it happened within 48 hours .